Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 15, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Well of course while steaming my fusible interfacing onto the back of one of the fabrics I hit the hot iron on the interfacing. YUCK! My way of cleaning the iron is getting out a piece of wax paper, sprinkling table salt on the wax paper and running the hot iron over the salt. Results - a sparkling shining iron plate and oh my it presses so much easier!

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
I always use that iron-off stuff that's in a tube. I may have to try the salt and waxed paper thing.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments Me, too! I'm always looking for home remedies that are less expensive...

message 4: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 16, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Shannon wrote: "Me, too! I'm always looking for home remedies that are less expensive..."

I love that, home remedies

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Has anyone got a good tip on how to get a crease out of fabric. I'm starting a new project and just bought some fat quarters and there is one that I can't seem to get the crease out of no matter how hard I press and how much steam I use. Anybody got a better idea?

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Sheila wrote: "Has anyone got a good tip on how to get a crease out of fabric. I'm starting a new project and just bought some fat quarters and there is one that I can't seem to get the crease out of no matter h..."

How about Mary Ellen's Best Press spray starch. I love that stuff. Have you tried just spraying it with water and then the steam iron?

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I have some spray sizing here. I haven't tried wetting the fabric. I haven't encountered this problem before. If I wasn't so anxious to work on this new project I would replace the fabric with something else but I need this fabric for the project. I'll try wetting the fabric.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Well I am still trying to get those #@$#$% creases out. I thought using a damp presscloth and high steam was working and all looked good but now that it is drying the creases are showing up again. errr. What a waste of time.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) I would be mad, too....how far away is your quilt store...maybe it's time to consider buying something else...a trip to the quilt store is never a bad thing!

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) There was a great tip given at the quilt guild meeting last week. When doing hand work, put a swiffer sheet next to you to collect your snippets of threads. They won't go anywhere. I love that idea since my kitty loves all those little pieces of thread that I put on the coffee table.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments We have a cat. She only likes to visit me when I'm trying to sew. She likes to roost on my tabletop ironing board and demands attention when I'm trying to cut fabric.

I can't think of any tips, but I do have a couple of favorite tools.

I love my Hera Marker and use it for lots of things. I also couldn't live without my Add a Quarter ruler and my glass head Clover pins.

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Shannon wrote: "We have a cat. She only likes to visit me when I'm trying to sew. She likes to roost on my tabletop ironing board and demands attention when I'm trying to cut fabric.

I can't think of any tips..."

My kitty visit when I open the window so she can sit in on the sill. I use the Add a Quarter when paper piecing, is that when you use it? I adore Clover glass head pins....the only kind I buy!