Q&A with Stephen Goldin discussion

Scavenger Hunt by Stephen Goldin--an interstellar romp

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 57 comments Mod
Do you miss the days when science fiction books were fun? When the universe was bright and shiny and new, before the technology became grubby and the outlook became cynical?

That's what Scavenger Hunt by Stephen Goldin is all about. Let your Sense of Wonder roam between the stars in a spaceship that looks like a spaceship, and where adventure is the name of the game.

In the distant future, the idle rich of galactic Society have nothing better to do than construct elaborate Games for themselves to play--and the greatest Game of all is the Scavenger Hunt. Visit different worlds, pick up hard-to-get items that can't simply be bought, and have a fine time. A clever way to pass empty moments.

Tyla deVrie and her twin brother, Bred, follow the family tradition of entering the Scavenger Hunt. But little do they realize as they hop from planet to planet aboard Bred's decadent space yacht that the Scavenger Hunt is far more than a game; it will irrevocably change their lives. That is, if it doesn't end them first.

When this book was first published in 1976, the original publisher, Laser Books, thought it was too long, and demanded that it be split into two parts and published as totally independent books: Scavenger Hunt and Finish Line. I was never completely happy with the result, and vowed that someday the book would be put back together again.

Decades later, my dream was realized, and Scavenger Hunt is now available in a single-volume edition in both paperback and multiple ebook formats. I invite you to come along on a fabulous journey through the galaxy, meet some intriguing characters, and have a helluva lot of fun.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

I've posted the opening chapter on my writings page. Please check it out when you get a minute.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 1 comments Very well-written; very interesting. I especially liked the Terminator-like assessment of people at the party as she wove a path through them before the dance. Instead of assessing threat in that Terminator-like scrutiny, she assessed social relevance! Wonderful idea! The droid walking off was good, too. Overall, entertaining and well-written. I look forward to more.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

James Farley, the personal assistant to FDR, used to keep a file of 3x5 cards with pertinent information about everyone the president might meet, so he could always keep the president up-to-date on personal information about people. For a politician, it's invaluable to seem personally interested in the details of people's lives. This sort of information has become known as a Farley file. Everyone who deals with many people has to keep one, in some form or other.

I'm glad you enjoyed the sample of Scavenger Hunt. I hope you'll give the full book a chance. There's a lot more fun to come.