Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > There's no harm in applying....right?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (last edited Jan 14, 2011 01:14PM) (new)

Brittomart So I get one of those emails from the english department, you know the ones they send to all english majors? And it's about The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation Student Internship Program.

Apparently, it's one of the top internships in the country, and I get to intern in Los Angeles for the summer, and it sounds.....kinda awesome. There's no application fee, and I kinda want to apply, but.....I'm psyching myself out becuase I'm thinking, "Oh God,I'm up against students from all around the country for a bomb-ass internship, omg....why would they pick me?" I gotta write a statement of purpose and a resume. What the fuck would I put in a resume????? I haven't done anything.

I mean, I know I'm probably gonna be someone's bitch for two months, but if I'm acccepted, get a $4,000 stipend.

GAHHH. My mind is exploding.

message 2: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Of course there's no harm in applying!! Do it!!
When I was a White House intern, I KNOW that part of the reason I was chosen was because I went to a state school and was from a small town in Oregon. You never know what will get you in!

Also, you never know who is going to be doing the selections... when it was my job to pick interns, I did the same thing that was done for me and went for people who were not 4.0 (or higher) students and who were really going to benefit from having the internship.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Wouldn't it be awesome if you got it?!

Plus, it's just good practice filling out that kind of application. Life is full of applications and job interviews.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments if you really want it apply! like jackie says, filling out the application is good practice, even if you don't get anything else out of it.

message 5: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Even if it doesn't work out, you can write a book about the experience.

message 6: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 14, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments You should definitely do it Britt. And once you get into the habit of applying for things like this, it gets easier. You can store various files, like your cv, personal statement, etc., on your computer and re-use or adapt them to each new application. Go for it!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Give it a shot!

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) Go for it Britt ! Good Luck !

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Southern Fried Britt wrote: "So I get one of those emails from the english department, you know the ones they send to all english majors? And it's about The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation Student Internship P..."

In three months, do you think you'd be really pissed off with yourself if you didn't apply? If yes, then give it a try. You're an English major so you can write so the resume will be a breeze once you get started.

message 10: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) did you really need to ask?! what are you waiting for Britt?! DO IT!!!

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori *joins cheerleading squad*

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments ~Cheers~

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments the worst that could happen is they'll say "no thanks". what have you got to lose? Go for it.

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Britt, don't make the same mistake I made when I was a collegiate like you. Apply for anything and everything. You never know where these paths will take you. And if they turn you down, there are plenty of other opportunities.

Never second-guess yourself.

message 15: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 49 comments I had the chance to apply for a top Research Fellowship. The competition was going to be fierce and I don't even have a Phd, so I knew I wasn't going to get it. It was clear my employers wanted me to go for it, so I did, and I got it! It was a great, although sometimes challenging, experience. Go for it!
Although I'm still wondering whether I should be worried that my employers were really keen to see me working for someone else.