The County Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Online Book Club Discussions > Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
This is a current Reader's Choice title and I've been told it's similar to Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, which I loved, but even better. So read it and please tell us what you thought. If you've already read it, feel free to post right away. No need to wait until February. When Marsha originally posted it to the group bookshelf, here was her review:

Once I got engaged in the story and character's lives and accepted the plot I really enjoyed the story. Towards the end I did laugh out loud. Certainly discrimination and what it means to truly belong are predominate themes. Very quirky British characters.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 40 comments I loved this book, even though partway through I didn't think I would, and I actually cheered at the end (just a little "Yay!" but it was a cheer).

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Thanks Stephanie- I'm about a third of the way through, and I'm just not feeling it. But everyone said they loved it, so I'll soldier on!

message 4: by Danette (new)

Danette | 14 comments I couldn't make it through Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, but I really enjoyed this book. You are right--it was a great ending. And great characters.

message 5: by Lahni (new)

Lahni The middle is slow but I like the end. It all kind of came together for me I guess. I'm glad I read it and I did like it better than Major Pettigrew. 3 stars for me.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

I finally finished it and I'm glad I read it too. It took a while for me to care about the golf course, but what really got me was all the stuff about Sadie's cooking. I would love to see that recipe book- even just a table of contents. Solomons has posted a little bit about it on her blog, including the baumtorte recipe and a photo of piece of one:
http://natashasolomons.com/category/s...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.