Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Anybody else bored with Fiery Cross?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 89 comments I'm about 70% through The Fiery Cross, I've been reading this on my Kindle for probably the last 3 months, keep getting bored with it and coming back, because I want to read ALL of these books, and I have to get through this one. I'm just kind of bored with all the war/fighting dialogue. I'm finding myself just skimming through. Are the rest of the books like this? I so much loved the first 3 books in the series, I think VOyager was my favorite, but I'm struggling with The Fiery Cross. Anybody else?

message 2: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments Stay with it! I went through the same thing and thought I would never get through it, but in true DG fashion it speeds up at the end and ties up some loose ends. You will fly through BOSAA and Echo as well. I actually stopped reading FC and read a few shorter books I got so bogged down in it, but stick with it...you won't regret it!!

message 3: by Mary G. (last edited Jan 13, 2011 06:13AM) (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Yes, please, stay with it. Things to come together and this book also has alot of important clues and/or information that comes clear in future books. Hang in there. I know you probably won't believe me; but, the second time you read it will be better.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth S | 29 comments I remember it took me awhile as well to get through that book but once you're done it will leave you reaching for the next one!!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) I started Fiery Cross in 2009 and stopped reading it, just for a little while, and haven't picked it up since. I keep meaning to go back and finish it but it just wasn't as good as the others. I am determined to get past it though and get to the next ones :)

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 89 comments Thanks everybody. I'll stick with it, I really want to finish this one and read the next 2. I keep abandoning it and reading other books, but I'm not going to totally give up. I know it's got to get better! I just don't like all the war stuff, I prefer the people interaction stories, especially Jamie and Claire....but don't we all???

message 7: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I did alot of skimming the first couple times I read the books. (Skimming the war scenes). I've read them now and paid more attention, but still reading those parts does make me lose focus more.

Some pretty major things happen in that book though.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 89 comments Thanks Wendy, I'm going for it! My goal is to finish it this weekend. My 7 yo grandson will be here though, we'll see.

message 9: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments I had a really hard time with it. For me the beginning just dragged on and it was overwhelming. But stick with it, it speeds up.

message 10: by Amy (last edited Jan 13, 2011 09:40AM) (new)

Amy (amyrica) I felt it was largely a "filler" book but it is worth getting through. I agree about the boring war/politics details but I have that issue with almost all the books. Still my love for the characters keeps me reading.

message 11: by Miss Kate (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 83 comments I think it's more of a set-up for the next books. Important characters are introduced, and the ball gets rolling, as it were, for Jamie's involvement in the American Revolution. I confess, I'd never heard of the "War of Regulation" before reading this book, and it prompted me to do some research on it. Growing up in New England, we didn't learn much about the pre-Revolution south!

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I really liked it, but I speed read everything anyways, so I didn't get caught up in the little things. I can see it being very hard for people who read every word. My friend couldn't finish it- I had to give her a summary so she could start ABOSAA

message 13: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments like 3 of my friends are stuck there... i loved it! They had to push thru it to get to ABOSAA. Now my moms stuck on Echo... you are not alone :)

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments Yes, I found that book kind of dissapointing/boring too! I almost posted this same question Patricia, but felt guilty for feeling so and didn't post it. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that opinion of FC. I am a quarter into ABOSAA and it has gotten much better. So far FC is my least favorite in the series. I hate feeling that way about it because I love this series so much!!! :D

message 15: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments FC was my least favorite too, but I think it was because of the NEVER ENDING Gathering! It was like the first third of the book.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan I stopped reading every word about halfway through The Fiery Cross and just skimmed til the end. I need to actually read it because I missed a lot. I have read the whole series but am doing a reread of all the books, not just Outlander and Voyager like I normally do, lol.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (les2car) | 131 comments I enjoyed it much more the second time I read it than I did the first. I was able to pick up on all the little details and really absorb the new characters more.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth S | 29 comments Since the first book its been a few years and I'm wondering if I should read them all again before I buy and read Echo just to refresh my memory.

message 19: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I liked it more the second and third times i read it too.

message 20: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Patricia, stay with it! As so many others told you, it is worth while and several characters will be imortant in the later books. Having done 70% of the reading, you can really look forward to the remaining 30% - no more fighting and a surprise towards the end. Alas, you will find much more war/fighting in Echo. So far I could not make up my mind to read these scenes a second time. When will this ... war finally come to an end!

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 89 comments Just thought I'd come back and say thanks everybody for encouraging me to keep with this story. Whew! Finally got past all the war stuff and I'm enjoying it now. Hope to finish up this weekend.

message 22: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments yay... So much happens in this book... Just keep reading :)

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments FC is one of my favorites. I liked Jamie and Claire being together through most of it. I know Voyager is a favorite around here but they were apart so much and on the ocean too long. Although the reunion(aha)!

message 24: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments I agree Sue...I like them living together day to day...we got some of that in FC...yes we have war..but one of the reasons we love Outlander is because Diana makes it real for us - magnificently so in this series....I love her ability to make the time real and Jamie and Claire resonate in so many ways...they have dimension, clarity and I would like to know them..I love all her books and found EITB the most unsatisfying for J&C time...Diana didn't give us any reunion time at the end - I hope she makes it up to us in book 8! Jamie & Claire Forever!!! I love almost all of her characters...get irritated with Jenny - think LJG is important too - Just don't like the LJG books...think they're too boring without real love interests...perhaps I'm just a romantic but for me it is the meaning of life - and God, Love (for me anyway) - and I believe Jamie and Claire were given to us to give us a bit of hope on that score, whether in this life, or the next.

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 89 comments Very well put, Carolyn, I feel the same way. I'm glad I'm finishing up this series. I'm already in Jamie's and Claire's "world". Does anybody else find yourself thinking like Jamie in your head? I catch myself thinking about something and in my mind I'll be saying "verra" instead of very!

message 26: by Crazy4more (last edited Feb 01, 2011 05:52AM) (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments I found that TFC had some of the most honest and endearing dialogs btwn Jamie&Claire and Roger&Bree. I was listening to the part when Jamie admitted to Claire how he lived with pain everyday after Culledon, he's old, he's scared and finally how she had taken all his pain away, and asked her to cover him until ashes they return. Such candid dialogs brought me to tears. How much pain he lived thru and always so bravely endured.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela1130) | 2 comments I was glad to read this post because I am trying to get through this book also. I was glad to read everyone's opinion so I have decided to keep going.

message 28: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Yes Keep reading Pamela1130, It' is a hard read for some but you learn so much and it helps with the later books... Just keep reading :)

message 29: by Tihana (last edited Feb 23, 2011 03:47PM) (new)

Tihana (tihana_split) | 41 comments I obviously don't share some of yours opinion about TFC, I actually adored the book. It has amazing Claire and Jamie moments and it gave them a bit of peace, if you can call all the stuff they went through peaceful. At least Jamie got to spend some time with his daughter after everything they went through in DOA, see her happily married, he got to spend time with his grandson, he learned to like Roger and they had some nice family moments despite all the problems they had. There were some war moments, but they're in that time, so war was expected and it had some longer scenes, but Diana does such amazing work that it all just flew by in a second for me, I really loved it.
I still didn't read ABOSAA, I decided to slow down with them because of the long wait until book 8, so this is my favourite family moments book for them, because no matter how much I loved DOA, it didn't give them so much time together.

message 30: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela1130) | 2 comments Yes, now that I am finally finished with the gathering it is starting to have some really nice Jamie and Claire moments, I admit. I love when Claire explains to Jamie about things about her time such as immunity to certain diseases and birth control. It's so interesting to see the differences on how child rearing is viewed. I haven't gotten to the war part just yet, but I have enjoyed the war scenes. I did put the book down because I have not read another book since I started the series and I couldn't wait to see what all the fuss was about regarding "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." That was very good and it took only a few weeks to read it and then I started to miss Claire and Jamie.

message 31: by Tihana (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Tihana (tihana_split) | 41 comments Yeah, I love Claire and Jamie moments in it and I love how she explained some things to him. I won't spoil you but there will be more of those along.

I'm actually reading Millennium trilogy now. I adore it.
I miss Claire and Jamie too while reading other books, that's why I listen to Outlander audio books whenever I find free time, otherwise I'd suffer from serious withdrawal.

message 32: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I loved TFC once they got through the gathering. The last day of the gathering was just so long that it started to drag out and make it hard to get through. It was the 'neverending day'.

message 33: by Dani (new)

Dani | 48 comments I am listening through TFC now. I am trying to get used to my new Ipod Nano... SPOILER.............

I have hard Rogers hanging 5 times now trying to get to my lost place. At this rate I will finish this one by the time book 8 comes out.

message 34: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments TFC is truly the calm before the storm. It's true that TFC pace and tone were a bit slower than the previous books but I was in awe how raw and honest some of these conversations were. Plus the introduction of so many characters didn't help. I'm glad it was in TFC that they all have some quiet time to get to know and just establish roots.

I finished ABOSAA. It's so so good and left me content to hold off reading Echos until next year when the 8th comes out end of 2012. I heard Echo has a cliff-hanger to die for.

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Crazy how do you get the strength to wait for a year to read Echo?

message 36: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments It really hard because Echo leaves you wondering what will happen to 4 story lines but after i finished ABOSAA i could not wait to find out more... Happy Reading Ladies!

message 37: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments I knew it would be harder to wait after Echo. After what FEVER series did to me with cliff-hanger, I'm not going there again. I thought giving the fact, ABOSAA ended in a good note that I can be happy for everyone.

message 38: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Yes it did... If you have to wait then that's a great way to end it for now :)

message 39: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments I dropped the book and audio back to the library so I don't get inquisitive. Plus, I wanted time to let ABOSAA to sink in.

message 40: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments That is my favorite books - i know i say that ALL the time!

message 41: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments With such high standard for my very first HR read, it's going to be hard to read other HR and have them compare to Outlander. I was so enthralled, dazed and not functional until the book is done. Good thing hubby understands my passion.

message 42: by Tihana (last edited Feb 25, 2011 06:19AM) (new)

Tihana (tihana_split) | 41 comments I can't wait to read ABOSAA, you all seem to love it. I have to wait for a bit for books to arrive, so I probably won't get my hands on book 8 before 2013 and I know Echo has cliffhanger in the end, that's why I'm doing my best to postpone reading both of them, so I have more to read until book 8 comes and I won't have to dwell on the cliffhanger for too long, I don't like cliffhangers. It's so hard to stay way from them though. I'm listening to Voyager on audio and I keep saying now I'll move to DOA but I keep going back to Voyager, it's such an amazing book and I love how Davina Porter read it.

message 43: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments I loved and read Voyager. I think that's my favorite though I gave all books 5 stars. I want to listen to Voyager when I have some time.

message 44: by Dani (new)

Dani | 48 comments I just finished The Fiery Cross. I listened to it and it was the abridged edition. I am wondering what I missed, so I'm going to get it on Kindle, and read it to see what was left out.

message 45: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments Oh Dani, the first time I listened to Outlander, I didn't know about abridged and unabridged. I was so lost bc the abridged lost all the characterization, the time line of events weren't comprehended. I couldn't fathom how Claire supposed on her second honey, having a decent marraige with her husband, Frank...and the next take she was thru the stone and forced to marry Jamie. I wasn't even attached to Jamie nor Claire. I thought it was so wrong of her and hated the storyline. Luckily my sister who have read the book and convinced to read the book, of course, later I found out I was listining to the abridged verson. I would definite read the book or listened to the unabridged, especially for books like Outlander series.

message 46: by Tihana (new)

Tihana (tihana_split) | 41 comments Crazy4more wrote: "I loved and read Voyager. I think that's my favorite though I gave all books 5 stars. I want to listen to Voyager when I have some time."

Yup, same here, they're all 5 stars, but Voyager is my favourite too. Though I always put Outlander outside of it all and above all of them, if I didn't love it as much as I did, I never would've read any of them.

message 47: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments So True, it was Outlander that set the foundation for the rest, but I felt it all built up the saga and settled in The Voyager. I kept thinking if it turn out to be a sad ending to the series, I would be totally happy to stop at The Voyager.

message 48: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I admit to not enjoying most of TFC. I found the gathering to be boring as hell and unending. Most of what happened there was totally irrelevant to the story and could have been completely skipped except for the important items. Diana does tend to get carried away. Though I'm sure some tidbits from that gathering will pop up later and I'll have a "now I get it" moment.

message 49: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments I felt TFC is necessary to build up for ABOSAA. I have the feeling Echo will be the same for the 8th book. Setting up events, characters, foreshadows leading up to the "aha" moments.

message 50: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Crazy4more wrote: "I felt TFC is necessary to build up for ABOSAA. I have the feeling Echo will be the same for the 8th book. Setting up events, characters, foreshadows leading up to the "aha" moments."
You can pretty much count on that!

« previous 1 3