What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED!: umbrella used in self defense almost kills someone [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Emily | 3 comments This novel is about a family of 3 daughters -high school aged or older- and their mother, who's a widow. The youngest daughter wants to go to art school, all of the daughters are very musical.

There are many side characters who are family friends. One of these characters is an older man who is thinking of becoming a monk, but instead ends up falling in love with another man. Another character is a college professor who, in self-defense, hits a man with an umbrella and almost kills him. Later, the man hit by the umbrella comes back and becomes involved in the lives of this big group of friends and family. It turns out this guy is bipolar. At the end of the novel, the eldest daughter elopes with the professor. There is also a side plot involving a young man who has been a friend of the family for a long time, and is expected to fall in love with the eldest daughter. Instead, he and the middle daughter end up dating.

I know so many details about this book, I just can't remember the title or author. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Rachel Brand This sounds really familiar.

I may be wrong, but I want to say: "The Dashwood Sister's Secrets of Love" by Rosie Rushton?

It's about three sisters and their widowed mother. They have to move away somewhere, and I think all of them end up with completely different men from what you'd expect. The umbrella comment sounds familiar, too. I think the youngest daughter was very in to art, also.

I may be wrong, though, but this book sprung to mind.

message 3: by Emily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Emily | 3 comments hmm, I don't think that's the one. I might still check that book out, it sounds fun. I remember this being more modern-day, though. It is definitely possible that I am mixing a couple books into this description. Aargh.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments In case anyone else needed resolution about this question, I finally found the book- it's "The green knight" by Iris Murdoch.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Emily wrote: "In case anyone else needed resolution about this question, I finally found the book- it's "The green knight" by Iris Murdoch."

Thanks, Emily. I'll move the thread and add that book to our bookshelves.