We LoveFilm discussion

General Discussion about Films > What movie do you want to see?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 205 (205 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Jan 12, 2011 10:58AM) (new)

Brenda I can't wait to see the movie "True Grit" although western is not usually my type of movie. On the rare occasions that these new adventure/westerns come out, I love them! I do like old westerns too, but if they are old, I prefer the ones that have a romance storyline in it too.

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I agree old westerns aren't my thing but True Grit looks appealing.

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda @Samantha... Yes, it does. Sort of like the one that came out awhile back 3:10 to Yuma. I really liked that one.

message 4: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
Count me in for TRUE GRIT as well. Like you guys, I don't really seek out westerns at all (though I used to love watching THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY, GUN SMOKE and BONANZA with my dad who was a big fan of westerns), but the COEN brothers know what they're doing when it comes to this genre. I absolutely loved NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, which is highly recommendable if you haven't already seen it.

And I've been half assing about seeing 3:10 to Yuma for a while and only the Great Spirit knows why because I'm an absolute mega fan of that gorgeous lunatic Christian Bale. I guess its probably because Russell Crowe plays the lead and I don't really care for Russell Crowe.

In no particular order, other films I'm looking for to see are:

BUITIFUL starring Javier Bardem. If you did see NO COUNTRY he's the guy who played that weird ass serial killer with the even weirder hair.

LOVE and OTHER DRUGS with Jack Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway, both of whom I don't really care for, but my sister convinced me that its a good film so I'm going to see it at some point.

THE FIGHTER starring two of my favs, Christian Bale and Mark Walhberg.

THE NEXT THREE DAYS - still not a Crowe fan, but I like a good thriller so I'll see this any way.

BLUE VALENTINE - not a fan of the leads, but this seems to have all the trappings of a good family drama. I love those.

THOR - because I like drooling after big sweaty men in tight clothes and IDRIS ELBA is in it ... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ::covers mouth gleefully::
Oh and I lived in Norway for several years and will be curious to see Hollywood's interpretation of Scandinavian myths. They've already gone against the grain by casting Idris in this film so I'm already brided into liking this production.

THE KING'S SPEECH - not really a fan of any of the leads but it seems like a good film with good performances.

LITTLE FOCKERS - mostly because I'm a Ben Stiller fan and will watch pretty much anything he puts out.

I'll update with others as I remember them.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda @Davina... No Country for Old Men was awesome too!

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I haven't seen No Country for Old Men or 3:10 to Yuma :(

I want to see Blue Valentine, The Fighter and The King's Speech. They seem interesting.

Thor? I don't know about that one. I have to go look up a trailer on youtube or something. I haven't heard of it. I'm soooo out of the loop. LOL

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Oh, I also want to see the other movie with Gwen Paltrow and the chick from Gossip Girl. I think Tim McGraw is in it. Damn, my mind is drawing blanks. Let me go investigate the name.

message 8: by Davina, The Modster (new)

You mean Country Strong? Yeah, I want to see that one too.

Thor hasn't had much promotion as of yet, but I imagine it will eventually. It's poised to be one of those big fantasy adventure films.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Yes! That's it. I want to see that too...boy, when will I have the time? LOL

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 40 comments 3:10 to Yuma wasn't very good. I don't think you missed much - though I agree about the actors (except I have a soft spot for the aggressive Aussie - even if I dislike his attitude. He reminds me of the kind of big, burly heroes you read about in romance novels. I suspect I wouldn't really want to live with any of them either. lol).

I've been looking forward to most of the same movies. I usually wait until they come out on video though. We don't go to the theater very often - it has to be something that really catches our attention or a movie linked to one we really liked before.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments We use to go to the movies a lot. We kind of slacked off. Plus the last time I was in one in the city, I kept thinking about bed bugs. LOL! Ever since they showed them on the news in all types of buildings, I freak out.

message 12: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I certainly understand Crowe's appeal, Lee. He's just never grown on me like some others have. He's a brilliant actor though, I'll give him that. Now my ornery bad tempered romance hero is Christian Bale! I love his intensity.

And I seem to have thing for Aussies in general too! I mean Sam Worthington, Hugh Jackman ... swoon. I'll take those two any day.

Sam I go to the theatre once or twice a week, sometimes more. Sometimes I go with the hubs, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. As you can tell I really love movies. When I'm going through a period of not being able to read escaping into the world of film is a great stress reliever for me. So bed bugs or not, I'm there! :)

message 13: by Davina, The Modster (new)

By the way, Lee, you've made me really curious now to see YUMA. I remember the critics didn't seem to know what to do with themselves when it first came out. They were pretty divided, but since I never pay too much attention to critics (they always rate a movie less than it deserves or more than it deserves) it never occurred to me that it could be bad. I mean, Christian Bale can do no wrong for me ... lol.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Lol. Bed bugs don't scare you!

message 15: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Nah ... something's gotta kill us eventually.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Oh no! LOL!

message 17: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Well, I'm about to get my Idris fix tonight! Yippee! :)

Plan to see him, with that orgasm inducing swag, in PROM NIGHT and indie flick LEGACY. Can't wait! ;)

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Haha! I seen Prom Night but I haven't seen Legacy. What is that about?

message 19: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Not sure. I've deliberately chosen not to look up Legacy. It's part of new approach to watching flicks that I'm experimenting with. I want to be completely out of the know going into a film.

All I know about the movie is that it's directed by a Nigerian (Idris is of Nigerian heritage) and set in Edinburgh - which is being passed off as Brooklyn. Haha. When I heard that I had to scoff. Edinburgh didn't look very Brooklyn like last time I checked. But let me not judge the film before I see it.

Apparently Idris plays some sort of deranged personality ...

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments LOL. I'm going to look it up. I want to read the synposis. I love Idris and would love to see it regardless. LOL!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Right now I'm in the mood for a good horror movie, and would love see The Rite starring Anthony Hopkins.

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I really like Anthony Hopkins!

message 23: by Michelle (last edited Jan 26, 2011 05:52PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore I know what you mean! Anthony Hopkins is one of my favorite actors. He's believable in every movie that he stars in.

message 24: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 7 comments BLUE VALENTINE is on my list.

Anthony Hopkins is a brilliant actor, but I got to confess this latest flick he is in "The Rite", is too scary for me. In fact, Anthony is scary.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I want to see The Rite. Haha! Anthony can play scary. I love that though.

I don't know if we post this here but I want to see this play called the The Whipping Man. It's limited but I think I might try to catch it. Got to convince someone to go with me b/c I don't like to do plays by myself and I don't know if it appeals to anyone else. *sighs*

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I just looked up The Whipping Man and saw that Andre Braugher is starring. I think he's another really good actor.

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments That's why I wanted to see it Michelle. I really like his acting. I want to see how he does with this :)

message 28: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jan 27, 2011 07:36AM) (new)

Anthony is awesome! He's my old man crush. Loved him in YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER.

Vanessa, did you see him as HANNIBAL? Wow, that cemented him as a great in my mind, and he was scary as heck.

I didn't know he has a new movie out. I'm a huge horror fan so I'm definitely seeing THE RITE. I'm usually okay with watching scary movies if my husband or son/s is at home with me.

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I think most love Anthony. I do. He did DO a great job in that whole Hannibal series. So creepy. Haha! I'm the same way. I'll watch horror flicks and be pissed b/c I'm nervous later. But lately I haven't seen a really good horror movie in a while.

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I was just thinking that there hasn't been a good horror movie released in a really long time. Yes, Anthony is super creepy in the Hannibal series. That's a different sort of scary for me. Bring on the werewolves, vampires, and walking dead, but keep the serial killer freak movies away from me, LOL!

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Michelle, the werewolves, vamps and other creatures of the night (LOL) are light weight to the serial killer stuff. What really gets me going is the real life stuff. Anything that can happen in real life in horror flicks normally freak me out. Haha! I'm a punk!

message 32: by Michelle (last edited Jan 27, 2011 04:44AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Me and you both Samantha! I don't know what's happened, but over the years, I'm a little bit more nervous after watching the "this could really happen" movies. I was really messed up after watching Copycat with Sigourney Weaver. That scene where she was in the public bathroom, OMG!!

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I don't think I've ever seen that movie, Michelle! I've always been like that. I can't even watch Americas Most Wanted and stuff like that. I get freaked out. I don't want anything bad to happen to me. LOL

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore LOL! I watched Unsolved Mysteries the other day, and I've been kicking myself ever since! I've noticed that there just aren't that many horror movies being released lately. Maybe this is the reason why =)

message 35: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, Sam! I know exactly what you mean.

Real life crime shows like Forensic Files, FBI Files, Snapped & Unsolved Mysteries really put the fear of man in me, but I can't seem to kick my obsession. I watch them all the time.

They're educational and thrilling, I think that's what I enjoy.

I have my moments when I'm in the mood to be scared, but werewolves, vamps and zombies don't scare me. Slasher movies don't scare me either. They just make me lose my dinner. I saw WRONG TURN 2 the other day and there was far too much meat for my comfort.

More than serial killers, home invasion flicks like I Spit on Your Grave and The Last House on the Left kinda creep me out because I see this as more likely to happen.

message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments The only one of those shows I watched is Snapped. My sister is addicted and she pulled me in. I don't watch it late either!

I laughed while watching Wrong Turn 2.

Now I was having a conversation with a co-worker and she mention I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE and THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT. She told me to go watch those.

message 37: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I made the mistake of watching Wrong Turn while enjoying my dinner. I lost my appetite.

I've seen LAST HOUSE, but not SPIT. I have reservations about seeing it ... I hear there's a lot of meat there too.

message 38: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Sam, you sadist. You laughed at all those people getting hacked?!

message 39: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I think its more of a nervous laughter. LOL! I normally have two reactions to movies like that. One, I laugh hysterically. Two, I hide my face while cringing.

Anyone watched Harry Brown? It was a film my mom left at my house when she came to visit a while back. I'm wondering if it's any good. I might watch it today since I'm home :)

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Last House on the Left is one of my top scary movies. It was so disturbing! Davina, I know what you mean about slasher films. They're more disgusting than anything else. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was scary. All of the remakes since then are just gross. When I watch a horror movie, I want to be scared, not look at someone's make believe innards hanging out while they still try to run, ugh!

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments LOL!

message 42: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jan 27, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

I actually understand what you mean, Sam. I was kinda laughing all throughout PROM NIGHT too and for sure the movie wasn't meant to be funny! Mostly it was for all the really bad acting. LOL.

Yes, see Harry Brown. It's a good flick. Showcases some very contemporary social issues in the UK, and in particular London.

Okay, so I don't want to brag and I hope no one will mind if I revealed that I was fortunate enough to have met and worked with one of the actors in the movie.

In real life, he's a very well known rapper/singer/songwriter in the UK who goes by the name Plan B, but in Harry Brown he's credited under his real name, Ben Drew.

Anyway, I worked with him last summer as an extra on his forthcoming film, Ill Manor. He's the writer/director.

He was a very focused, reserved guy, but very nice. He was constantly being bugged by fans on set for autograpphs (the film was made on a micro budget so street scenes were shot with regular passer-bys having access to the set). He was a really good sport. Signed for all of them and posed for photos without a word of complaint.

Not knowing who he was at the time I went up to him and asked "Are you somebody special? Why are all those people wanting a piece of you?"

He laughed and very modestly told me about his discography. I was pretty surprised how profilic he was for such a young guy. Anyway, I told him I'm a British-American, who is mostly American, and so not very familiar with his work. To my surprise he was sooo genuinely relieved! He actually said it was great hanging out with someone who doesn't know who he is. Poor thing, I can imagine its really tiring trying to work and being disturbed by fans all the time.

Anyway ... that was my fifteen mins. I hope I make it into the final cut of his movie. Then I'll reeaally have something to brag about! ;)

message 43: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Michelle, what do you think of the The Exorcist movies? Seen any?

I find them quite scary. Anything that plays with the mind or having to do with demon possession and what have you really scare the bejesus out of me. Weird, considering I'm about 80% atheist.

The 1973 version of The Exorcist was pretty messed up. I mean to see that kid coming down the stairs backwards ... that was some mad sh!t ( pardon :).

And the very first Omen. That creepy looking nanny with the big black doberman dog and that kid.

Those really scared me.

I still haven't mustered the courage yet to see The Last Exorcism although I'm not really sure what I'm scared off. Eli Roth of Hostel fame executive produced or something like that. He loves meat, not psychological disturbance.

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Haha! D, I can imagine that guy's face when you asked him that. But at least he found it funny and was down to earth.

Prom night was just silly. Poor Idris had to be associated with the film.

message 45: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Something's gotta pay the bills.

message 46: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Have you seen RocknRolla? I'd wanted to see him (Idris) in that film. Wasn't sure it was any good, so I never bothered.

message 47: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Yeah, seen it. It's a gangster comedy starring Gerry Butler. It was just alright for me. Not Ritchie's best, imo, although I hear there's gonna be a RocknRolla 2.

Idris speaks in his sexy East London twang. I think you'll love it, Sam. This man is just too fine.

Definitely see it for Idris! :)

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I admit, the possession, demon/ devil movies scare me the most. Especially when there's the blurb that says something like "this film is based on actual events." Really?! I'd prefer not hear that sh!t, you know?! But then, its anticipating the fear that draws me like a moth to a flame, LOL!! I found The Exorcism to be disturbing on so many levels. I just saw Linda Blair on tv this past weekend working with rescue dogs, but all I could see was her head spinning around!

message 49: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments LMAO @ Davina! I will D! I'm not into accents but he sound sexy :)

Every time I think of Linda Blair, I remember her head. I can't see nothing else but that. Freaky stuff!

message 50: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Which Exorcist was she in?

« previous 1 3 4 5