The Sword and Laser discussion

The Kingkiller Chronicles > Name of the Wind SPOILER discussion thread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Can we have a place to talk about it? Now that I'm finished, I don't want to just let it go until the next one comes out. I know a lot of you have read it.....

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments Sure. The funniest thing to me, when I read it, was that I liked the story about Kvoth, but at the end, really wanted to know more about Bast--who is he? Why does he have some interesting powers? How did he call Chronicler?

What is his relationship with Kvoth/Reshi? It's obvious he's not really "learning" from him.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Yes, it appeared that he was in charge of what was going on, which shocked the heck out of me. Unless Kvoth is allowing him to think so....

Also, there is so much story left between K- at university and where he is now. Argh!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments My #1 thing I've been wondering since finishing.... His adventures in the archives! I know, I'm such a librarian.

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1721 comments Mod
Bast is very interesting. He gets more interesting.... trust me ;)

message 6: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Reverman (reverman) | 28 comments I'm pretty sure Bast is a reformed Chandrian. Man this is hands down my most anticipated sequal

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Reverman wrote: "I'm pretty sure Bast is a reformed Chandrian. Man this is hands down my most anticipated sequal"
Oh. No. What? Oh. *flail*

message 8: by Amy (last edited Jan 21, 2011 03:10PM) (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments Since not everyone reads his blog (though you should), Patrick Rothfuss posted a link to where people can order Wise Mans Fear so that it will be signed by him on March 1st and shipped to you:

http://www.signedpage.com/authors/rot...

I ordered one, since it would be really awesome to have a signed, first edition hardcover. :D Also, though it costs $5 more than the cover price, that $5 goes to the Heifer International foundation.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments I haven't read it for a few months, but am I right in thinking he claims to get kicked out of university? Yet when the book is over he's still present?

Seems like this series is going to take many years to wrap up...

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments It's supposed to be a trilogy, with each book being one of the three days Kvothe tells Chronicler it's going to take to tell the story. So that would mean one more after Wise Man's Fear. Though considering the time between the first two, it'll probably be a few years at least before we see it.

As for the University, Kvothe laid some hints right at the close that the end of his time there was near. I assume he'll be expelled quite early in the new one, probably no later than the end of Act 1.

message 11: by Dinre (new)

Dinre | 20 comments Am I missing something about this book? I felt like the character development in the frame story (mainly Bast) was not compelling, and the story itself felt more depressing than satisfying. Every time Kvoth makes a step forward, everything is taken away from him and reset to zero. Still, plenty of people have enjoyed it.

Did I miss the point?

message 12: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments I have the dead tree version of NOTW which I read some time ago. I would now like to refresh my memory of the book before the release of the next one but I'd like to do it. By audiobook version. does anyone know if this is available? It certainly does not appear to be on audible UK. If it isn't, why not? It is one of the biggest fantasy books of the last year.

message 13: by Aeryn98 (last edited Jan 27, 2011 08:41AM) (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments That's exactly what I did. It has a great audiobook version. I did get it from audible, so maybe check it again. I don't understand why it wouldn't be available to the UK unless the publishers made that exception. But you get Steven Erikson books before us, so its even. : )

message 14: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Aeryn98 wrote: "That's exactly what I did. It has a great audiobook version. I did get it from audible, so maybe check it again. I don't understand why it wouldn't be available to the UK unless the publishers ma..."

I also tried to get the Temerarire series from audible UK. No dice. I am sick and tired. Of these damn national restrictions.

message 15: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 90 comments Regarding the scene where Kvothe and Denna poison the draccus:

It bothered me a lot that after scene where Kvothe saves Denna's life by feeding her charcoal, there follows a scene where they try to poison an animal that puts out and eats fires, with no comment on the amount of charcoal that it must be consuming.

I guess Kvothe ended up multiplying the dose so many times that it probably didn't matter, except the draccus didn't die as quickly as expected.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ashby | 119 comments Just finished this and overall I really enjoyed it. I did get a little bogged down about 3/4 of the way through with the Denna courtship - I just kept waiting for her to be more than she seemed but ultimately I was disappointed. I hate to say it, but at times it did feel a little "Harry Potterish" what with the hated rival, trusty friends, enigmatic professors, and unrequited love. All that said I am looking forward to the next book to find out more about the Chandrian, Bast, and the rest. 4 out of 5 stars from me.

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 843 comments Dennis wrote: "Regarding the scene where Kvothe and Denna poison the draccus:

It bothered me a lot that after scene where Kvothe saves Denna's life by feeding her charcoal, there follows a scene where they try t..."

I actually think that's how it was. They go back and forth, first multiplying by sheer weight factor and then they keep adding to that for various reasons, so they end up adding more and finally just doubling what they already have *just in case*. So I guess they never really calculate the *actual* amount it would take, but rather come up with an amount where it can't really go wrong anymore.

message 18: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I figured that between the aversion to iron and the thing with his "boots" the issue of Bast was pretty much answered.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments if all else fails, drop a giant, solid iron wheel on its head. I think you can take that out and use that particular lesson in real life.

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee | 43 comments Colin wrote: "if all else fails, drop a giant, solid iron wheel on its head. I think you can take that out and use that particular lesson in real life."

This was a really good example of Chekhov's Gun.

Kvothe passing through town - 'Oh look at that really big metal wheel, its made out real metal and everything'

Later Kvothe hanging off Town Hall - 'Now if only I had a something really big.... wait a minute I'm standing on a giant metal wheel!'

message 21: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments It only would have been better if it was a "Nuclear Wessal".

(Yes, I know which Chekhov you mean, Anton not Pavel)

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott | 41 comments I have to say that so far I LOVE this series. I finished NOTW about two days ago and am almost 1/2 way through Wise Man's Fears.

I really enjoy the flashing between the past and present in the book. It helps remind you that these things aren't actively happening they are memories.

As for Bast not learning anything from Kvoth, I think you are giving him too much credit. While it is true that they seemingly live forever, they are extremely...chaotic, making learning anything but how to trick mortals rather low on the totem pole so to speak. (view spoiler) Whereas Kvoth is arguably one of the most clever and intelligent men, that would even give the existence of the Fae a serious thought.

message 23: by Enochpc (new)

Enochpc | 4 comments I thought Name of the Wind was pretty good, read it on the suggestion of Veronica and Tom, but was seriously saddened to hear them talk about how much sex is in Wise Man's Fears. I'm still not so sure I am going to read it, although I want to know how the story ends. It's hard enough to avoid that kind of thing on TV. Anyone willing to make a comparison, is it like a romance book or more along the lines of a Harry Dresden book?

message 24: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments It is more like Dresden than like Anita Blake. If you were able to read Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files you won't find anything upsetting in WMF. At least in my opinion, but I am not bothered by it, YMMV.

message 25: by Enochpc (new)

Enochpc | 4 comments Haven't actually made it that far in the Dresden files yet, (latecomer I know, but what do you do) But the first four were good reads, and not to bad on the sexual end. I'll probably give WMF a chance, I can always just stop reading, I've done it before.

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott | 41 comments WMF has a bit more sex in it then some of the books I've read, but at the same time none of it is extremely blatant. To be perfectly honest, the way the author has done it, you wont really even realize it is there. It just flows that perfectly.

message 27: by Skip (last edited Jun 30, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

Skip | 517 comments I do find it funny that Rothfuss names Kvothe's moves, and that they are named similar to the sword styles Rand learns in the Wheel of Time books.

It serves the same structural purpose, to describe something impressionistically without describing it literally. And it works well in both cases, but it does give me a bit of cognitive dissonance when I go from one book to another. For instance which is which?: “Waves upon the Lilies”; “Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose”; “Birdsong in the Morning”; “Arc of the Moon”; “Circling the Moon”

Answers:(view spoiler)

message 28: by Dan (new)

Dan (daniel-san) | 101 comments I just finished The Name of the Wind last night and I really loved the book, even though I was waiting for more of a climax related to the Chandrian. I suppose there is a very loose relation with the draccus and Chandrian at this point in the story. Nevertheless, I'm totally into the characters and the world, hook- line- and sinker. I really enjoy how there is a little bit of "science" in the fantasy here, which makes the world and the magic seem more tangible.

Rothfuss has struck chord for me with Kvothe (and Denna). His story has become personal to me which can be a dangerous thing as far as expectation goes. I hope Rothfuss continues to keep that personality going in WMF and the next one, but as we saw toward the end, his knowledge and power is beginning to change him.

I also liked the snippet we get of who Bast is at the end of the book, and we get to ask the question, why does Kvothe blame himself for the scrael (and what the heck are these things) and everything bad happening around them? Did he get a little too curious about the Chandrian? I'm sure I'll find out a little more in A Wise Man's Fear. I can't wait.

message 29: by David (new)

David Mitchell (damitchell1985) | 5 comments Eric wrote: "I haven't read it for a few months, but am I right in thinking he claims to get kicked out of university? Yet when the book is over he's still present?

Seems like this series is going to take man..."

he did get expelled from the university, it just got put on hold immediately afterwards.

message 30: by Micah (last edited Jul 18, 2011 10:58AM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Just finished last night and that is one of the best books I have read in some time. I am thinking about buying The Wise Man's Fear today. I hardly ever buy books in hardback but I am really really considering it this time. I will probably wait until my wife has finished The Name of the Wind to see if she agrees with me though.

edit:
(view spoiler)