Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Practical Jokes (duplicate thread)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (last edited Jan 10, 2011 03:56PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I haven't pulled off a practical joke in a long time. Maybe I'm becoming too much of a geezer.

Once a Xerox rep showed up with our state-of-the-art brand-spankin'-new copier, and we all had to gather 'round to learn how to use it. He pointed out the 569 different languages that were programmed into it. "So here's how to change it to Swahili, if the office practical joker is here." Everybody-including the director-turn to look at me. You change all the screen savers to the rival company's logo ONCE, and suddenly you're branded for life.

I think one of my best was when a friend of mine called me at four in the morning. He woke me out of a dead sleep to ask me how to say, "Are you comfortable?" in French. I was instantly awake and completely pissed off. I had to be at work in two hours!! He knew I had insomnia! He picks up some French guy and I'm his 24-hour translator?

I reined in my fury, sighed, and calmly advised him, syllable by syllable, how to say "Would you care to suck on my toes?" in French.

He didn't speak to me for two weeks. But when he finally came around he told me the guy didn't even reply. He just put on his jacket and left.

Was I too mean? Did I go too far that time? Every time I remember the look on my friend's face the next day, I still bust out laughing.

Do you pull practical jokes on people?

message 2: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I think that is pretty damn funny myself!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) My ex-husband used to play very elaborate practical jokes on his fellow officers when he was in the Navy. Some of them seemed....cruel, like the one where he caused a Navy pilot buddy of his to believe he was in serious shit for a little unauthorized low-flying over someone's private property. That poor pilot was really, really scared. I don't think that kind of joking is very nice. Or funny.

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments The morning after one particularly debauched evening back in the early 80's - when I was never more than one bumbling overdose or drunken car wreck away from Slab City - my then-girlfriend moved my car around the block from her house so that I'd think it was stolen.

It worked. One day she'll pay...

message 5: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments You definitely have to pick your victims wisely. There are some people you just can't pick on. Know your audience.

I would not have torpedoed my friend's date under any other circumstance. I mean, he got the guy to go home with him. That must have taken some doing with the language barrier. Well, maybe not. I don't know.

IT WAS FOUR IN THE MORNING! That incident taught me to turn my phone off when I go to bed. If you have an emergency, call 911. Leave me out of it. I was pretty amazed that I thought fast enough to pull that one off.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A couple of the guys in my work group have a running rivalry of sorts -- mostly trading mild insults pertaining to intelligence or skill level. One day, one of the guys decided to play a trick on the other.

When the other guy was away from his desk one day, the trickster removed all of the equipment in the other's cubical -- laptop, docking station, telephone, monitor, and all of the various work materials. Basically, he made it look as if the target person no longer worked there.

When said target arrived, he chuckled, and then attempted to put everything back together. Only when he hooked up his laptop, it crashed completely (blue screen of death) and could not be recovered. He shared that he had a final paper for a graduate class on the hard drive. The paper was due the next day.

The trickster was mortified. He really felt badly. That was the last time he tried any such tricks.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Was the document really on the drive, or was he making that up to get even? Because that's what I would have gone with.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No, it really was. He had to re-do it.

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments he should have made a back-up. stupid.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It was a lesson he learned the hard way.

message 11: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 43 comments We had a fake rubber hand once that was the exact size and shape (and pale color) as my hand. We were teenagers, and lived at home. I went to my bedroom where there was an inch space under my bedroom door. I held on to the wrist of the fake hand and then closed the bedroom door completely, with the rest of the hand on the other side. I screamed, knocked, and called for my little brother (who was 10?) and when he came upstairs, I pulled on the wrist so the hand wiggled on the other side. He screamed like a little girl for like 10 minutes. He screamed even louder when I opened the door and he saw the hand "separate". I'm still laughing...

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Jan 12, 2011 03:04PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments We have another practical jokes thread. I'm linking it to this one, and sending this one to the boneyard/duplicate thread.

Other Practical Joke thread and I'll link this one to the other Practical Jokes thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.