Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Eh, help ?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear (olittlebear) | 15 comments Being a new member not only to the librarian group but to goodreads in general, i'm not sure if my queries are to go here or in the feedback section. Since i'm going to try my luck asking here, please don't hesitate to inform me should I be in the wrong place.

I cannot find The Grey Pilot by Angus MacVicar on the site, and honestly after looking at the page to add a book I feel completely overwhelmed and incapable of filling out the form correctly. I was wondering if the reason for this book not already being on this site is perhaps because it is out of print?

Also, I was trying to find the edition of Gulliver's Travels I am currently reading, and failed to do so when searching its ISBN. Does this mean it needs its own page created?

Many thanks for any light shed. :] x

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45471 comments Mod
You are in the right place. :)

Looks like it's pre-ISBN. Which means it's only in the system if/when someone adds it -- it cannot be imported from Amazon. The only fields that MUST be populated on the book-create form are:
* author
* title
* sort-by title

Strongly recommended:
* Publisher
* Date of publication

And if you have a cover image, you can upload it.

What's the ISBN on the Gulliver's Travels edition?

s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear (olittlebear) | 15 comments rivka wrote: "You are in the right place. :)

Looks like it's pre-ISBN. Which means it's only in the system if/when someone adds it -- it cannot be imported from Amazon. The only fields that MUST be populated on..."

Thanks so much for all your help. :] Could you explain the sort-by title to me a bit? I read the help section on the side but was still left clueless as to what is meant to go in there.
Gulliver's Travels ISBN:978-0-099-51912-6

message 4: by willaful (new)

willaful The sort-by just moves any non-functional search words that begin the title such as "the" or "a". Gulliver's Travels would remain "gulliver's travels" (lower case, without the quotes) but The Grey Pilot would be "grey pilot, the."

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45471 comments Mod
And the Gulliver's Travels is in the system, but it appears to have more than just the book itself -- is that correct?

Gulliver's Travels and Alexander Pope's Verses on Gulliver's Travels

message 6: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23396 comments Seems to be right; I added Pope as an author.