BGGWW Books discussion

Book Discussion > A Game of Thrones First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (nyriv) | 65 comments Mod
Discuss first impressions of A Game of Thrones here. I'm not reading this book, so some other previous reader should split it out.

message 2: by Ludesfactor (new)

Ludesfactor | 15 comments Already knowing the story, I am paying attention to other aspects of the book. I notice Martin quickly laying out some of the backstories (close attention isn't necessarily required as he'll reinforce things as the stories move along). I was surprised there was a chapter on Dany and Viserys as early as there is. And he doesn't linger on descriptions. Very well constructed.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (TheSparky) | 5 comments Mod
Since I knew the WW game focused heavily on the politics aspect of the book, I made a mental note to pay closer attention to relations between characters aside from "X is Y's brother."

About a quarter of the way through the book, the amount of politics is just amazing. I almost want to go back and read the WW game to see all the intricate relationships that Kima(?) created.

As a side note, when they mentioned how much young Bran liked climbing, I knew he was boy after my own heart :D

message 4: by Ludesfactor (new)

Ludesfactor | 15 comments Has anyone been paying _real_ close attention? I'm wondering how Lyanna (Ned's sister who was bethrothed to Robert) died, if it has been mentioned ...

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean Tompkins (seanptexan) | 12 comments Note to others - DON'T get this book at Audible. I thought I'd be slick and listen to this one in the car - but the narrator is really atrocious. I gave up after two chapters, and now reading the book myself I couldn't even enjoy those chapters - kept hearing that awful voice in my head. As soon as I got to chapter 3, everything improved and the book is much more engaging. It's a shame - the storyline in those first few chapters is riveting!

message 6: by David (new)

David Lutes (gelatinousgoo) | 51 comments Mod
Role Call!

Who all is reading along?

I have read neither of the 2 books of the month, and I am starting with Dune. I downloaded the sample of GoT on my Kindle so I will be ready to go. But I don't realistically expect to get to it until mid-February or so. I have a few things I want to read between Dune and GoT.

But how many people are working through this book together?

message 7: by Wes (new)

Wes | 20 comments I am following along in memory if not by actually re-reading. My copy is loaned out to someone else right now who wants to be prepared for the TV show.

Ken: you probably already noticed it, but there's a section in the back that has a fairly non-spoilery list of the book's characters. You can use that to keep track of the basic relationships of who's related to who, and devote your higher mental faculties to the more detailed stuff.

Ludes: I don't know where it is mentioned in the book so I don't know if you've reached it, but Lyanna's death is described at some point.

Anyone have favorite characters so far?

message 8: by Jeff (last edited Jan 18, 2011 01:10PM) (new)

Also, I'm trying to get my head around a fuzzy moment..

Edited: This book has the Hound, as opposed to the Beast. I'll ask on the right book :)

message 9: by Ludesfactor (new)

Ludesfactor | 15 comments Wes wrote: Lyanna's death is described at some point.

Thanks, I don't think I've come to it yet then. Probably a Lannister did it.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Wood (enwood) | 6 comments I'm following along as well, I'm actually rereading the 4th book right now. It is very interesting to see how others interpret some of the characters and events so early, without knowing some of the backstory, which you get later.

And trust me, if you find it daunting book to read, it just gets better and better!

message 11: by Ludesfactor (new)

Ludesfactor | 15 comments Should finish this today/tonight.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Mod
I am slowly working my way through, though haven't had as much time to read as I would like. So far I'm enjoying it. I'll have more to add as I progress.

I'm paying close attention to the writing style.

message 13: by David (new)

Okay, I am now about 100pp in. This is a refreshing read after finishing Dune. I had to cleanse my pallet after Dune and read a few other things, but now I'm into this.

So far, I really enjoy it. The characters are interesting and the conflict is well crafted and interesting. I like the problem that Ned has in that he does not want to become the Hand but he can't really say No. Then the message comes through and he has to go and walks straight into a position knowing his predecessor was killed.

It's hard to get a read on all the kids. Jon's the bastard, the sisters are hard to differentiate, Bran is the boyish imp (hope he's okay, but I don't know yet).

The story moves along making reference to the history that lead to this point and making the reader curious about it, but not knowing the history yet does not take away from enjoying the present (you know those books where you are totally lost until you finally get let in on he history, then you go, oh, now I see).

I did think finding the direwolf that had choked on the antler a bit too obvious. I mean, really? Really?

message 14: by David (new)

I'm not sure where to go after First Impressions. The book is broken into small chapters but not larger parts that it would be easy to break the discussions out into.

Seems it wouldn't work to separate discussion into regions (North, South, Dany & Viserys, etc.) since the story moves back and forth.

Maybe someone who has finished can think of 2 or 3 good break points. Or maybe we just break it out into:

First Impressions
Reading Through
Final Thoughts

We have to break it out some so we can discuss as we go without leaving spoilers. I am really enjoying it so far and would love to see discussion here increase.

message 15: by Jeff (new)

The sisters really develop through the novels. I was actually rather shocked to read that they seemed similar in the beginning. They do a great deal of differentiating in the series.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason | 4 comments NEWS! GRRM announced this morning that there's a "real publication date" for A Dance With Dragons: July 12

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jason wrote: "NEWS! GRRM announced this morning that there's a "real publication date" for A Dance With Dragons: July 12"

Yup, July 12, 2112

message 18: by David (new)

I'm still soldiering on with this one. I'm almost halfway through. I see what everyone is saying about the sisters, not sure how I confused the two. It was right after I said that they started to be very distinctly depicted (earthy badass vs. princess).

I don't totally get what's going on in the east but obviously it will become more important to the main story (and I know that part of the story was published on it's own as a novella and won the Hugo, so it must be good, I'm just not feeling it yet).

message 19: by Ludesfactor (new)

Ludesfactor | 15 comments Even through book 4 there's not that much tying what is happening in the east to Westernos. One can only speculate when and what nature that connection will be ...
Still, it's an interesting and vivid subplot.

message 20: by Sean (new)

Sean Tompkins (seanptexan) | 12 comments Finally finished this one. This book reminds me why I don't like politics.

message 21: by David (new)

Finally finished here. I really liked it. For some reason, I will finish a book that is <500pp in 2 weeks. >501pp takes 3 months. Must be an attention span thing.

It's everything I want from good fantasy. The story is strong and it is primary. The fantasy is the backdrop to the good story. Also the characters are nicely fleshed out and not caricatures. They are interesting and unique. I really liked Tyrion, Eddard, and Arya.

I was not really that into the story in the East. It was usually an unwelcome break in the action I would rather be reading at King's Landing or on the wall.

Overall, fantastic read and I will continue in the series (eventually). Nice pick, BGGWW group!

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Yeah, the Eastern plot arc remains that way through most of the books -- and there is already the Beyond the Wall arc distracting from the politics. One I can see as a breather/pacing argument, but both may explain why the books are getting too big to write. The chapters of the east may have worked well as interludes if he had portioned his books out into Parts, but the story is too fluid to segment like that.

message 23: by Jeff (new)

He may take forever to have written it, but at least George knows where to start a book tour. About ten minutes from my house on the release date, July 12th.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara (miraria) | 20 comments Mod
I first read this about 9 years ago but for some reason never continued with the series. Erin and I watched the full first season on HBO and it was so good it made me want to read the book again. Reading it through i am even more impressed with what HBO did. I am now about halfway through the second book and i have SO MANY THEORIES! but either someone hasn't started the series yet, or they have already read so far ahead they know if my theories are right or wrong. I am going crazy having only myself to think about these with. :)

message 25: by David (new)

I finally finished Clash of Kings. Reading that back to back with The Fountainhead really slowed my reading down.

I didn't love Clash as much as games, but I will continue. I need a bit of a break before jumping into the next one.