Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

questions > Help Finding a Sci Fi book

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tayla36 (new)

Tayla36 | 13 comments This is a book that I read in high school, I think. That's about 30 years ago.

What I remember is this.
I think they are on another planet. I know there are some alien species involved. There is a King. Don't remember if he's actually called a King. He is the Ruler, though. I'm pretty sure he's human. I think there is a princess, too, a child.

The King's bodyguard is from a different species. If I recall correctly, it was a felenoid species.

The King was horribly corrupt. Really a mean cruel nasty piece of work.

The bodyguard was extremely honorable. I think part of his duties was educating the Princess, and he tried to instill that honor in her.

The part that sticks out in my mind is this. The King had a captive. She was very beautiful and part of a peaceful species. She had to stay in the water. I don't remember if she actually breathed water or was just kind of amphibious. I think her skin kind of glowed like opals when she was wet. The bodyguard felt sorry for her that she had fallen into the King's hands. Later in the story, the king gives a necklace to somebody, and tells them to keep in moist when they store it so it doesn't lose it's lustre. That's when the bodyguard (and the reader) realize that the king had the woman killed and made into jewelry.

This must have been the last straw for the bodyguard, because he kills the king. I don't remember anything about the actually killing. I do remember the bodyguard killing himself. He has a friend that tries to talk him out of it because no one is sorry to see the King dead. But the bodyguard has forsworn himself and feels like the only honorable thing to do is ritual suicide. His friend must help him. The bodyguard disembowels himself, and the friend delivers the coup de grace by beheading him (i think. It might have been a stab to the heart, but I really think it was beheading)

That's it. That's all I remember. I hoped someone recognizes it.

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Wow, sounds like a pretty intense book!
I'm not familiar with it, but if you don't get responses here, theres a whole group called "What's the Name of That Book?" that is very good at helping with stuff like this.

I'd post it there as well, see if anyone there recognizes it.

Good luck!

message 3: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 20 comments Everything except the part about the water and the pearls sounds like Inversions, by Iain M. Banks. But since the water/pearls part sounds pretty memorable, I'm guessing that isn't it. Would love to hear what this is, whenever somebody comes up with the title!

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Iain Banks (other topics)