The Sword and Laser discussion

Music to read by?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Cameron | 6 comments Do you listen to music while you read? I usually sit in silence when I am at home, but year ago when I was on public transportation a lot I always had some music playing on my headphones. It creates an odd connection in my brain between the music and the book, even though they aren't really related. I will hear a song, and think of the book I was reading, and the bus line I was on at the time.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments If I'm reading a book in print (dead tree or electronic), I can listen with or without background noise or music. I tend not to, but if I'm home or on the bus or something, I am glad I "can."

If I'm listening to an audiobook, I find other sounds distracting. I tend to listen to audiobooks mostly on long cardio days at the gym and while on planes or while driving. I can occasionally listen to them while I'm at home, but I find myself too easily distracted.

Funny story about music while reading, though. I used to listen to electronic/dance music while studying when in college. I'd get to the exams and find myself dancing in my seat as I would take the exam, to the beat of whatever had been playing when I was studying the item in question. I had more than one prof ask me if all was well haha.

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Renshaw (timrenshaw) I definitely prefer music as it tends to block out background, unexpected noises that I find distracting. I've read with music since I was a teen whether it is for study or fun.