The Sword and Laser discussion

Found a good recommended fantasy list on BestFantasyBooks.com

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 116 comments Whether or not you agree with their rankings, it's well-written and thorough. And great food for your to-read list. :)

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25...

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments Thanks for posting this list!

I have read about half the series on the list and for the ones I have read I would agree they are excellent and well woth most peoples time.

message 3: by Janny (last edited Jan 05, 2011 08:20AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 44 comments NO GUY KAY? No Patricia McKillip?!!! No Carol Berg??? No Elizabeth Moon, Juliet Marillier and (yes she does superb fantasy) C J Cherryh? No Barbara Hambly? R. E. Howard?

I could go on.

Suffice to say, nice list, with some great names I loved, however, to my taste, too many quality authors and favorites left out.

message 4: by Bill (last edited Jan 05, 2011 08:26AM) (new)

Bill | 116 comments Janny wrote: "NO GUY KAY? No Patricia McKillip?!!! No Carol Berg??? No Elizabeth Moon, Juliet Marillier and (yes she does superb fantasy) C J Cherryh?

Like I said, the list is good food...not the whole supermarket. :)

And thanks for the mentions, I'll look them up and hopefully add them to my list.

And, BTW, I found the list more helpful than 2010 GoodRead's Choice Awards. Looked like a lot of duds. Seems like while I can and do trust Sword and Laser readers, I can't trust GoodReads readers as a whole.

I think I'm going to cut and paste the Fantasy and SF winners in a separate post and solicit some opinions.

message 5: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I'm pretty surprised Terry Brooks didn't make the list.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 116 comments Boots wrote: "I'm pretty surprised Terry Brooks didn't make the list."

I agree. Along with David Eddings. I was going to mention Terry Goodkind, but, in my opinion, he only shone in his early books.

message 7: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) Very biased list. It seems that the author of it likes "gritty" stories and shows disregard for the rest of the genre. This is like making a list of best cars and include only sports cars (and they do it!).
In my opinion the best list should include the best examples of different kind of fantasy stories - classic epic fantasy, like Brooks and Eddings, Young Adult stuff, Urban fantasy, Science Fantasy, and so on. This list is worth exactly as much as a list of best fantasy made by a vampire fangirl, which includes only paranormal stuff.