Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > age and relationships...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My newspaper this morning informed me, ahem, that Selena Gomez (age eighteen) and Justin Beiber (sp? age sixteen) have been spotted making out.

Can Selena Gomez get in trouble if they have sex?

Have you ever dated someone significantly older/younger? What are your thoughts on age/relationships issues? I think we talked about some of this a zillion years ago but I don't think we went into depth.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments How much is significant? I dated (for two years) a woman ten years younger than me, then dated (for about six months) a woman eleven years younger than me. Also, when I was 29, I hooked up a few times with a girl ten years younger. Not anywhere near Hugh Hefner territory, but a decent sized age gap nonetheless.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Age is irrelevant in my opinion. But then, I grew up in a family with big age differences in relationships. My grandfather was 20 years older than my grandmother. My uncle married a woman who was 15 years older than he was, but then that is all conjecture. Nobody knew how old his wife was. It was a deep dark secret that was honoured even when she died. Their son married a woman 10 years older. My brother is at least 10 years older than his wife... and the list goes on.

I started living with my husband when I was 17 and he was 21.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I agree with Barb, but I can't help to think that if you date someone 10 years younger than yourself, which doesn't sound so bad, that when you were 10 they were just being born. Eekkkk

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This reminds me, you want to feel old, stand in front of a group of college freshmen and have one tell you they were born in 1992...

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "This reminds me, you want to feel old, stand in front of a group of college freshmen and have one tell you they were born in 1992..."

that even makes me feel old. i was born in 1987.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments janine wrote: "that even makes me feel old. i was born in 1987"

You're the same age as my daughter. Her birthday is in February.

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I thought Bieber was 13?

message 9: by Brittomart (last edited Jan 05, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

Brittomart I was born in 1991.

Speaking of age differences, Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman just got married, and he's 15 years older than she is....or is 20 years?

I like old guys.... in theory. Sorry if that makes anyone uncomfortable. In practice though...when you're my age and when they are that age.....doesn't work out so well. You just want totally different things.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I wouldn't want to date someone too much younger than me, because it's nice to have the same frame of references. Someone who remembers the 70s, so I don't have to explain who the Fonz was, for example.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Who?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You're older than me, Jim. :)

message 13: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I wouldn't want to actually "date" someone significantly younger than me. But there are other things I might enjoy doing with them.

When my friend was 16 her boyfriend was 26. I thought it was creepy at the time and I still do. Not from her perspective but from his. There is a HUGE difference between 16 and 26.

message 14: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jan 05, 2011 11:00AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I wouldn't want to date someone too much younger than me, because it's nice to have the same frame of references. Someone who remembers the 70s, so I don't have to explain who the Fonz was, for exa..."

Exactly, JTL!

Cannont understand some of my peers' infatuation with 20-something women, as if talking about Lady Gaga, hearing every statement intoned like a question, and watching them constantly and habitually text would be anyone's idea of a good time.

Pah!

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments ::wonders how hard a clonk with a two by four is::

message 16: by Jim (last edited Jan 05, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "You're older than me, Jim. :)"

I know, I know.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That's enough of an answer, it's all pretty clear now :-)

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments If it's a clonk, it's probably gonna smart.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Hummm...which would hurt more a clank or a clonk? Any takers to find out ;)

message 20: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I think a clonk would hurt more. A clank sounds like you're wearing a helmet.

But I'm just speculating, not volunteering.

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments When we were little, my mother would regularly threaten to "conk us on the noggin." This was generally after she screamed, "You are making me nervous!" I used to wonder if there was ever a time she was NOT nervous. It seemed like it was her baseline.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I'll volunteer - Clonk me Bun!

I live by the motto - No brain, no pain!

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That wasn't too bad, I only saw a few stars.

A lot better than being hit with a cast iron fry pan.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments My eighteen-year-old daughter was dating a guy from the next town over who was 15. This icked me out no end. I kept telling her that she would be in HUGE trouble and most likely spend time in jail if they ever had sex.

And, in the end, she told me (after she broke up with him)that he was immature.

D'OH!

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments BunWat wrote: "I have several different sizes of cast iron fry pans. Perhaps I could use them for different levels of annoyance. The little two egg pan for mildly confusticated, and the dutch oven for homicidal."

Just so you know - I'm not volunteering for this.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Many are called but few are chosen.

message 27: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Clark wrote: "Cannont understand some of my peers' infatuation with 20-something women, as if talking about Lady Gaga, hearing every statement intoned like a question, and watching them constantly and habitually text would be anyone's idea of a good time."

that stereotype doesn't fit me or any of my friends. ok, we occasionally talk about lady gaga.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lady Gaga was here (right here in River City!) over the holidays. Most people didn't recognize her with somewhat normal attire and makeup.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "that stereotype doesn't fit me or any of my friends. ok, we occasionally talk about lady gaga."

I hate stereotypes. I know plenty of women in their 20s who are bright, well informed, and articulate.

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments BunWat wrote: "...and the dutch oven for homicidal."

I think a 10" skillet might make the optimal cast-iron-kitchen-implement weapon. The handle would make it easy to swing. The Dutch oven, although heavier, could be somewhat unwieldy.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would use the dutch oven as a helmet.

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Wise, Larry. Very wise.

message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments use earbuds too, in case someone bangs the 10" skillet on it.

message 34: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Also wise.

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good thinking. I can't use earbuds, though. They won't stay in my ears for some reason. I'll use my noise-cancelling headphones.

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments When I was in my mid-20s I dated a guy who was 46... VERY briefly. He was very handsome and interesting. My friends nicknamed him "Harrison Ford."

It was brief, though, because I was completely weirded out by the fact that he was old enough to be my dad.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) When I was a newly-minted divorcee I dated many younger men--the average was probably 10 years younger. There's a lot to be said for guys in their 20s but then again, one gets...bored, eventually.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments One thing that creeps me out is the "Who's your Daddy" saying.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments A guy I worked with got hit in the head with a cast iron skillet by his wife. It makes a pretty good bump on the ole noggin.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hoosier Daddy is Kevin.

message 41: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 05, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Jim wrote: A guy I worked with got hit in the head with a cast iron skillet by his wife. It makes a pretty good bump on the ole noggin.

Did he deserve it?

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Andy Capp used to whacked all the time. Or was it Snuffy Smith?

message 43: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Jonathan wrote: "Did he deserve it?"

According to his wife he did, he didn't argue to vehemently.

But does one ever deserve to be hit in the head with a fry pan?

message 44: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Larry wrote: "Andy Capp used to whacked all the time. Or was it Snuffy Smith?"

And you wonder why I imagine you as Arthur Godfrey...

message 45: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Jim wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "...does one ever deserve to be hit in the head with a fry pan?"

It does seem pretty harsh.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Andy Capp's wife whacked him with a rolling pin, which is probably less unwieldy than a cast-iron frying pan yet equally effective.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's right!

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
There is something utterly ridiculous about seeing Justin Bieber's childish little body on a yacht intertwined with a girl-woman - of any age. Seeing children make out usually skeeves me.

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Seeing children make out usually skeeves me."

Most definitely skeeves me.

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I date somebody 17 years older than I am. I love it. I love his experience and the things he's lived through that I've only heard about second hand. He is very wise kind, wonderful in every way there is, but he also is still excited by life and has a sense of adventure - sometimes more than I do.

I have also dated younger, and for all the reasons I love the older guy, I couldn't get into the younger guy.

I'm singing that Little Esther song: "I like my men like I like my whiskey: aged and mellow."

« previous 1 3