Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2011 Challenge Archive > 2011 Goodreads Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 241 (241 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) Very Cool! link to the 2011 Goodreads Challenge.

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/2...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annabell123) I'd like to hear what everyone else put as their goal. My goal for 2011 is 150 books...something that is more than I read last year, but still achievable.

message 3: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments Mine is 175. I've had reading goals the past two years, but it'll be neat to log on here and see the little bar go up.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 444 comments Well, I managed 59 last year. Doh! If only I realized and read one more real quick!

I'm am trying for 100 this year!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I put 350 in...lol! my final count for last year was 423...but i'm aiming to read some more educationcational stuff this year, along with my "fluff"

message 6: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments Holy Book Reading, Dee! I love it; I wish I could read that much - then maybe I would be able to catch up on some of these series. ;p

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Diamond (msdiamond2u) | 4 comments I put 75 and I hope to better connect with my friends on goodreads.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments 200 was my goal. I've hit 200 for the past two years and finished with 227 this year.

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 721 comments I've entered 365 for 2011. I almost made it this year!

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm shooting for 100 although I finished 119 last year.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I'm going for 36 to start, maybe 40? lol

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20994 comments I think my realistic figure would be 100. I haven't ever tracked this before...

message 13: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20994 comments Ooooh! I just went to the link and it told me I read 103 books last year! There you go! I can't see my reading throughput changing much, so I'll stick with 100.

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan My goal is 200. Last year I read 183. Not sure if I can reach my goal but I will enjoy trying :)

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Beyers (mandybeyers) | 763 comments I set a goal of 700 - that will include short ebooks, so it's not quite as crazy as it sounds. Last year I read over 600, and that number missed some of the ebooks I read on vacation.

message 16: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments I read 157, so my goal for 2011 is 160. Realistically I should be able to reach this target as I'm not studying this year - well not so far anyway

message 17: by Inga (new)

Inga | 261 comments Guys.. you DO read a lot, huh? :) I managed to back date 90 % of my last year books and that's 83. However, it's going to be a challenging year at work, therefore, I set my target to 77 (love 7s! :))
I noticed that I choose books more carefully now, so I spend some additional time for reviews as well as GR challenges which kills time noticeably :)

All the best to you all in your 2011 GR Challenge! :)

message 18: by Dina (new)

Dina (missdina) | 807 comments I'm shooting for "only" 240 books this year, even though I read 316 in 2010 and 352 in 2009. Like Inga, I've become more careful and selective through the years and now I write reviews for (almost) every book I read.

message 19: by colleen (new)

colleen (colleenfl) | 458 comments I'm going for 700. That's less than I have been reading the last few years so it should be easy enough.

message 20: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments My goal is 110. I read 102 in 2010.

I am amazed at the numbers on this thread!

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11376 comments I set my goal for 2011 at 110 books. I read 148 last year but that was my highest ever so I set it a little lower this year and hopefully I can surpass it.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 350 comments I'm shooting for what I read last year, 240. That was a record for me, so I don't want to over-extend myself.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My goal is 104 as I'm doing another book club too. I want to incorporate poetry, classics, autobiographies and some new authors.

message 24: by Raine (new)

Raine | 177 comments I set my goal for 75 this year. I would like to aim for 100, but I am also starting school again (besides my work), so maybe 75 is a better goal.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin H I'm going for 100! I think I can achieve this since I'm all finished with school.

message 26: by Julianna (last edited Jan 05, 2011 07:00PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1758 comments I set my goal at 80, about halfway between what I read the last two years, so it should be doable. Glad to see some others with goals close to mine. My number was beginning to feel rather puny next to some of the astounding numbers I'm seeing in this thread.:-)

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) I read 202 last year - so set my goal for 250. Yeah - might as well!

message 28: by Abha (new)

Abha I'm doing 60. It could be super easy or incredibly challenging...it all depends on my employment status.

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) One of my facebook 'friends' is a complete sadist. Well, he did come up with options...
Either I could read 250 graphic novels (he's a graphic novelist) OR I could read 250 19th century novels - starting with War and Peace. See - sadist!
I thought, if I really wanted to *cheat* I could actually add all the picture books I read! Well, all the books - including children's & New Zealand books, which I have tended not to add previously.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I had my goal at 100, but upped it to 120 because the last two years I've read 118 and 116.

Don't feel bad Julie. I'm astounded by some of the numbers on here too as they would work out to anywhere from 1 to 3 books a day to reach some of these totals. I just can't read that fast. I average just ten books a month.

message 31: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments Don't worry Briansgirl... I often get quite intimidated and astonished by some of the readers on here. But it's not a race and its all about the quality and the enjoyment of what you read. I have a friend who learned how to speed read so she could get more books done and now she doesn't read at all cos it has spoilt it for her as she can no longer savour her books!!! She only read about 5 fiction books all 2010!

Enjoy what you read no matter how much or how little that is ;)

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annabell123) LibraryLass wrote: "Don't worry Briansgirl... I often get quite intimidated and astonished by some of the readers on here. But it's not a race and its all about the quality and the enjoyment of what you read. I have..."

When I do try to speed read (usually when I am at a really good part and have to go somewhere soon), I end up having to go back and re-read it anyway because I either misunderstood something, or missed it completely.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks LibraryLass. I've decided this year to not participate in the yearly alphabet challenges and read the month. I've done those for two years now (both in english). And I'll only do part of the large monthly challenge here. I average reading only ten books a month. So to finish all the challenges, I've had to read novella's, short stories or the occasional children's chapter book. I did read 118 books last year, but also 136 books under 100 pages that I didn't count. I've wanted to complete read your lifetime in books, but I won't get the last 20 I need done (all older books) by my deadline of end of April. The books I want to read for it are longer or harder reads. Nothing wrong with that, but if I force myself to finish all the other challenges, I won't get to the stuff I want to read. So this year, I'm concentrating on longer challenges, or quarterly challenges that I want to do, and if something fits a monthly challenge, great. But for two years I've read stuff just to finish a challenge, while that's okay, I've missed alot of what I want to read that doesn't necessarily fit any challenge.

message 34: by D.G. (last edited Jan 06, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments My goal is 125 books - I read 150 in 2010 but I actually want to read less and devote more time to exercise and my friends. Last year all I did was pretty much read!

message 35: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "But for two years I've read stuff just to finish a challenge, while that's okay, I've missed alot of what I want to read that doesn't necessarily fit any challenge"

I'm so thre with you Briansgirl. Right now I'm being more careful with challenges because I don't want to end up reading stuff just to complete the challenge. This year if I have to chuck a book I'm not enjoying and just not finish the challenge, I'm not feeling bad about it!

message 36: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) This year I've decided to focus on pick-it-for-me, and will try and do the alphabet ones - but only if I read something that happens to fit it, rather than reading to fulfill a challenge. That can be fun, as you do find books and authors you'd otherwise have missed. But you do find putting pressure on yourself to find.

message 37: by Rosamina (new)

Rosamina | 5 comments I've put 101 books, it's really a big challenge since last year I read five or six books per month. Well, I'll tell you if I fulfill it...

message 38: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments D.G. wrote: "ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "But for two years I've read stuff just to finish a challenge, while that's okay, I've missed alot of what I want to read that doesn't necessarily fit any cha..."

I stopped doing most challenges because I found myself reading to suit the challenges rather than what I actually wanted to read.... so I only do challenges like RRRC's 1st Reading Tournament because it gives me a lot of freedom to what I want to read. Nothing wrong with challenges, its just I get too competitive (read - anal) to actually enjoy them.

message 39: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Ditto LibraryLass! I didn't know I had a competitive streak - but I did know about the anal one...

message 40: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments Lol Annie!

message 41: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments Um it says I read 13 books last year. I read like 260. I'm sure I didn't star rate them all here but I did way more than the ones they have listed for me. Anyone know what's up with that?

message 42: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Where are you guys checking the books you read last year? If you are going to the stats page, it will only show the books you read if:
- Books are marked as 'read'
- Books have the 'date read'

message 43: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (triciaschneider) | 204 comments I set my goal at 100. I've never set a reading goal like this before, so I'll be interested to see if I can make it.

message 44: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments 700!! Holy MOLY! lol

My goal is 100 and so far I have read 2 this year so I think I am doing ok.. uh.. I think haha

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments when you mark a book as read, you need to open up the review and make sure you have the date read in there...it doesn't automatically fill in, which might be why you aren't showing books

Mary wrote: "Um it says I read 13 books last year. I read like 260. I'm sure I didn't star rate them all here but I did way more than the ones they have listed for me. Anyone know what's up with that?"

message 46: by Dina (new)

Dina (missdina) | 807 comments Mary, I had a quick look at your GR shelves and the great majority of the books you've read had no "read date". Like D.G. and Delicious Dee mentioned, GR needs that field to know when you read them.

message 47: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments it says i read 167 books last year and i didn't join the site until june. WOW. i knew i read a lot but WOW. So i'm setting mine at 200.

message 48: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 394 comments I read 233 last year, and so I put 250, even though I only put 100 in another group. I guess I'll to change that number now. Oh, maybe not for a while..

message 49: by Xiomara (new)

Xiomara (mikaha) Annabell wrote: "I'd like to hear what everyone else put as their goal. My goal for 2011 is 150 books...something that is more than I read last year, but still achievable."

300! I got ambitious

message 50: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments I won't be able to read nearly as many as I did last year now that I'm working full time again. So I think I will set my goal at 100. I think I can do that easily.

« previous 1 3 4 5