Paper Back Swap discussion

General > What are you reading in August ?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Odd Hours by Dean Koontz.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 by Garrison Keillor
Get Your Act Together by The Slob Sisters

DG's book will probably take me into September. I'm hoping to wrap up 1956 this weekend.

Maybe the organization book too. I'm getting kinda lost now that they're talking about the filing system. Has anyone else done the FlyLady/SHE systems? I tried FlyLady, but the control journal was too big.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel I'm half way through the Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Kohn. It's about Queen Esther & Xerxes.

message 4: by Lanica (new)

Lanica I just started The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs. I;m not someone who laughs out loud at books, but this one's already gotten two out of me, and I'm only in the B's.

I'm already recommending it.

message 5: by Ari (new)

Ari (acwulff) | 22 comments Just finished "Walking in Circles Before Lying Down" and have begun "Angela's Ashes." Next week I will probably start "Enslaved by Ducks" or "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt", depending on my mood.

Lanica, if you are not someone who normally laughs out loud at books, you aren't reading the right books! Pick up some Terry Pratchett. I dare you not to laugh out loud.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I just finished the Monere series by Sunny, and have moved onto Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 04, 2008 09:22AM) (new)

I'm reading Next by Michael Crichton.

message 8: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienj) | 7 comments I just finished reading The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman and really enjoyed it. It's kind of a strange story, but really really good.

message 9: by William (new)

William (acknud) I just finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay and Books of Blood I-III by Clive Barker.

message 10: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) Within the past week I've finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for the 2nd time and today I just finished Black Ships by Jo Graham. I am getting ready to start reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the 2nd time for my LIT class and I'm still trying to read The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George. Thats the bad thing about taking and english LIT class I get. You have so much assigned reading for the class its hard to read anything else during that time :)

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Rachel | 39 comments I got the new Stephanie Meyers book Breaking Dawn -- it is soooo good. I really have enjoyed the whole twilight series.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Critical by Robin Cook

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (crystalrose) | 28 comments What The Dead Know by Laura Lippman

message 14: by William (new)

William (acknud) I am reading Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs.

message 15: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) I am still reading the Autobiography of Henry VIII and am starting the Awakening by Kate Chopin.

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) The Fiery Cross (still)
On Writing by Stephen King
Everything about Creative Writing by Carol (somebody or other), but I haven't gotten very far. 4 pages in and I got the urge to write!

message 17: by fyc (last edited Aug 13, 2008 05:49AM) (new)

fyc (fvonne) | 4 comments Holly, doesn't Mark Twain just get better and better. I reread Tom Sawyer this summer and was as delighted with it as I was the first time I ever read it!

Have you checked out 'Finn'. It is supposed to be about Huck's dad. Just wondering if you knew anything about it.

I've read Elvis Takes a Back Seat by Leanna Ellis, Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry, and The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom so far this month. I'm starting The Woods by Harlan Coben today.

message 18: by Jackie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:36AM) (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 48 comments Mod
I just finished New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (CRANKY!!).. Now I'm starting Storm Front by Jim Butcher.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Crisis by Robin Cook.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 39 comments Jackie -- I loved both of those series.
I just finished up the third book in the Breed series by Lara Adrian -- they are really starting to grow on me. At first I thought they were too much like Black Dagger Brotherhood, but I am really liking them.

message 21: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) I've heard about Finn before but haven't read it. I'll have to check it out. Now I'm reading the Awakening by Kate Chopin.

message 22: by Mitabird (new)

Mitabird Here's what I've read so far for the month:

1. Heart of the Dragon - Gena Showalter - 3.5/5
2. Feast of Fools - Rachel Caine - 4.5/5
3. Surrender - Kimberly Zant - 4.5/5
4. Jacob - Jacquelyn Frank - 4/5
5. Symphony in Rapture - Rachel Bo - 3/5
6. Double Trouble - Allyson James - 4/5
7. Nauti Dreams - Lora Leigh - 4/5
8. Every Breath You Take - Ann Rule - 4/5
9. Dangerous Boys and Their Toy - Shayla Black - 4.5/5 (ebook)

message 23: by William (new)

William (acknud) August Reads:

Song of Kali - Dan Simmons 4/5
Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings - Tyler Perry 1/5
Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs 4/5
Red - Jack Ketchum 4/5
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon 5/5
Beyond Recall - Stephen Kyle 3/5
Clive Barker's Books of Blood 1-3 - Clive Barker 3/5
Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay 3/5

I am currently reading Candlenight by Phil Rickman

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Abarat by Clive Barker.

message 25: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) Sometime tonight after I finish my yawn inducing paper on the structure of To Kill a Mockingbird I will be starting The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This is my second time reading this one also.

message 26: by fyc (new)

fyc (fvonne) | 4 comments Finished The Woods and have the rest of the month's reading ready to go:

1. For One More Day by Mitch Albom
2. Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury
3. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
4. Black Out by Lisa Unger

I'll start Facing Your Giants for a group I belong to but we are covering it in our discussions in Septemnber and Oct so I won't need to read it all this month.

message 27: by Mitabird (new)

Mitabird I just finished reading Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh and will start reading Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon today.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Brain by Robin Cook.

message 29: by William (new)

William (acknud) Since my last post I have read Candlenight,
Snuff by Palahniuk
Snuff by Enck
And am now reading A Prayer for the Dying.

These have all been good, short, quick reads.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Cabal by Clive Barker.

message 31: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (crystalrose) | 28 comments The Genius by Jesse Kellerman

message 32: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) I'm reading Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison and tomorrow I will be starting An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis.