MS 256 Reading Group discussion

2010-2011 > Week 18 Discussion about "Part-Time Indian"

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Jan 02, 2011 05:31PM) (new)

David Patterson (MrPatterson) | 24 comments Mod
Junior undergoes many changes throughout the book. In the end, after he plays one-on-one basketball with his old best friend Rowdy, he's a very different person than how he described himself, as a "retard," in the first chapter of the book. Junior, in the end, is smarter, stronger, more confident, has more friends, and understands more about life and the world. So, tell me what was the biggest turning point in the book for Junior?

ANSWER ALL FOUR QUESTIONS:
1. Tell me the section of the book that you think Junior would say marked the biggest turning point in the part of his life that he writes about in the book.
2. Describe for me the way his life turned--from what old way to what new way.
3. Tell me why this big turn was important for Junior.
4. Who are the other people who are involved in Junior's big turning point?

message 2: by Arly (new)

Arly Castellanos | 16 comments I think the turning point for Junior was when his sister died. When he saw Rowdy crying and when Rowdy called him a murderer, he realized something big. When he realized the reason for his Grandmother's ,Eugene's ,and Mary's death was all booze.His life changed completely. He went from a lonely .........okay he had Rowdy but still, a semi-lonely life to an up-beat one. Then it went downhill with all of these deaths.This "turn of events" is important to Junior because he now knows life's true colors.

message 3: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Soto | 1 comments the biggest turning point is when his grandma died and rowdy came to the wake but as no way close by and when junior saw him rowdy called him a murderer and ran fall some where n from then on he changed on life

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 5 comments 1)The big part in hes life changing was when he changed schools.I think this chaged the way he thinks of school.
2)He stop hanging out with the bad crowd.And believed in himslef alot more.3)The big move or turn around was important because junior would have stop coming to school after hes grandma died and sister but hes new school helped him to stay involved.4)The people that were mostly involved in Juniors life are hes dad mom and he basketball team.

message 5: by Chyna (new)

Chyna Powell | 4 comments 1. Juniors biggest turn point is when his grandmother died because his grandmother meant so much to him.
2. The way Junior turned he was more quite and bye his self and he was in a sad mood
3. Junior had stop coming to school for weeks because his grandmother died and like a week later he found out his dad friend died and then his sister died so Junior stop going to school.
4. Other people that were involved in Juniors lif was his grandma Eungen, Mary, His mom and dad , Penople and the basketball team and the coach

message 6: by Jovan (new)

Jovan | 6 comments He went to Rearden.He took a chance with Penelope.He new She was going to find out about He was poor but he tell her he was poor.He tried To keep it a secret.
He lied about being a tuff guy when he punched Roger.

message 7: by Alyza (new)

Alyza | 4 comments The biggest turn point was when he took the ball right out of Rowdys hands when he was in the air.

message 8: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 1 comments Arly wrote: "I think the turning point for Junior was when his sister died. When he saw Rowdy crying and when Rowdy called him a murderer, he realized something big. When he realized the reason for his Grandmot..."

Hey, Arly! I thought your answer was interesting, and it made me think. So, in saying that the became more upbeat and that he found his "true colors," does that mean that he found the hope he was looking for? If so, what hope do you think he has now that he may not have had before? Also, what do you mean by "true colors"? I think that's really interesting phrasing being that there was so much focus on the different races.

message 9: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Skinner | 10 comments well the biggest turning part is when junior won the basketball game and beated rowdy at his own game. he used to be a loser. but now he is in Rearden people respect him. he felt confident in his self. its important because he finally felt that he was something than just a punching bag and a target. the people that were invovled in his life is his mother and his father.

message 10: by Mahogani (new)

Mahogani | 25 comments the biggest turning point of junior's life is when he finally realized that this rematch is not just for the game or to gan the respect he lost or never had,it was to show rowdy thats he is done trying to be his "best friend" any more because its obvious that he don't want to be.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 7 comments I think the biggest turning point for Jr. is when he goes to reardan and he does not have rowdy to pertect him and be his friend Jr. had to fend for himself and without all that coddling he learned some new things about himself and grew up not just phisicly but mentily to he went from wimp with a body guard to being a gaurd to the next wimp. Gordy and roger and penelope helped him relizethat and even rowdy because he walked away.

message 12: by Dariq (new)

Dariq Wigfall | 7 comments 1)The Biqqest Turninq Point To Me For Junior Was When His Grandmother Died And Every Body Stop Messing With Him Around The Rez . 2) At First He Was Who Use To Get Pick On A Lot On The Rez , Then When His Grandmother Died He Started Getting Respect Back From Every Body On The Rez . 3) This Turninq Point Was Important To Me Because I Feel Like While He Still Have The Chance He Can Go Some Where With His Life He Already Made It To Readan , He Can Keep Going . 4 ) I Think His Dead Relatives And His Parents Help Him Turn .

message 13: by Freddyventura (new)

Freddyventura | 5 comments To me i think the biggest turnig point for me is when his sister and his gradnmother died and he felt like he lost all hope at that point and also i think when that happend he said now i dont think he will do any thing so for now he is trying to let is go but it to important people in his life that is what i think is his turning point.

message 14: by Mahogani (new)

Mahogani | 25 comments Freddyventura wrote: "To me i think the biggest turnig point for me is when his sister and his gradnmother died and he felt like he lost all hope at that point and also i think when that happend he said now i dont thin..."

freddy no offense but its not what YOU think its what YOU think junior... YOU get it now?

message 15: by Taelornisbeth (new)

Taelornisbeth | 5 comments I THINK THE BIGGEST TURNING POINT FOR JUNIOR WAS WHEN HE DECIDED TO CHANGE SCHOOLS.HOW HIS LIFE TURNED WAS WHE HE DIDN'T HAVE FRIENDS AND WAS CALLING HIMSELF A "RETARD". NOW HE HAS FRIENDS AND HE'S VERY CONFIDENT NOW. HIS SELF-ESTEEM BECAME HIGHER.THIS TURNING POINT WAS IMPORTANT FOR JUNIOR BECAUSE
HE CREATED HIS FRIENDS.THE PEOPLE THAT WAS INVOLVED IN HIS BIG TURNING POINT WAS; HIS DAD. MOM, GRANDMOTHER,COACH,ROGER, GORDY, AND PENELOPE.

message 16: by Devonmcgowan (new)

Devonmcgowan | 2 comments 1. The biggest turning point of Junior's life is when he decided to go to Reardan High School.
2. When he was at Wellpinit High School he called him self "RETARD". But when he changed his school to Reardan he called him self smarter, stronger, more confident, has more friends, and understands more about life and the world.
3. Because Junior is Indian and he went to Reardan and Reardan is a WHITE SCHOOL so Junior had to prove his self to everybody that he can do it and he dont need "Rowdy" Junior's old best friend.
4. The people that are involved in Juniors big turning point is Juniors Father,Grandmother that died,Juniors Sister that died,Rowdy,Roger,Penelope,Juniors Basketball Coach,Juniors Mother, and even Gordy.

message 17: by Danasia (new)

Danasia Martin | 8 comments junior whole life changed when he got removed from school hearing about his sister being killed and his grandmother too