Book Haven discussion

Kindle > Lending is Now Enabled!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Kindle lending is now a reality.

I'd be willing to do some lending. I have not checked to see if lending is enabled on my Kindle Books, but here's my list of Kindle books, in case anyone wants to borrow!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I saw that! I'm pretty excited, but I'm a little bummed out that not everything is capable of being a lend-out. I don't have that many books on my Kindle at the moment since I just got it but once I get more I'll make sure to let everyone know what I can lend out.

Stormhawk- I would love to borrow some but I really need to finish the ones I have,lol.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Michelle wrote: "Stormhawk- I would love to borrow some but I really need to finish the ones I have,lol.
"

Trust me, I know what you mean. I could stop adding books to my Kindles today and read quite happily for the next several years!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (freja4003) Hi all! I am new to the site and this group as well. I was browsing around on a snowy Sunday morning and saw this thread. I haven't turned my Kindle on in about two weeks as I got many hardcovers for Christmas, but I've been on Amazon almost daily (obsessive, I know) and I haven't seen any info/alerts on this. This has been a long-held wish of mine. Can anyway direct me to information on how it works, etc.? Also, does anyone know if they are going to add a component similar to Nook where you can check out books from your local library?

Thanks for any help! Off to charge my Kindle!

message 5: by stormhawk (last edited Jan 09, 2011 01:22PM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments If your library offers mobi (prc) format books, your Kindle will read those. The epub software that most libraries use is not Kindle-friendly ... that's what the nook and Sony use.

Kindle lending is pretty easy, requires that the publisher has enabled the feature for their books. The person who "owns" the book sends you an email via amazon with a link to download the content. I have sent a book this way, it's really easy. I have not tried to borrow any kindle books. If you check my "kindle" shelf on my profile, you'll see what books I have, and if you want one and it is lend-able, we can try it.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (freja4003) Hi Stormhawk. Just wanted to thank you for the info. I found a discussion on Amazon about the new lending feature but I hadn't seen the directions on how to use it. I'm curious to see how many publishers enable the feature.

Unfortunately, the libraries in my area don't use the mobi format. I had heard that they were going to adapt the Kindle to make it usable with the new library features, but based on a discussion I saw recently it doesn't look like they feel it's worth it. But who knows.

Thanks for the offer to "lend" me a book. I will definitely check out your profile. And thanks again for the help.

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments And now, even more lending ...

user to user one time Kindle Lending is what started this thread.

Back in late September/Early October Library Lending for Kindle was enabled ...

And now ... the amazon lending library FREE for amazon prime subscribers. There are a large number of books that you can borrow from amazon, no time limit to finish reading, but you are limited to one book at a time. It's kind of like netflix instant for books. I'm hoping to make use of this service as soon as I finish my current Library Kindle book.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 20 comments I thought you were limited to one book a month?

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I've seen both one at a time and one per month. Either is fine for me. I'm reading Mercury Rises by Robert Kroese from Kindle Lending right now.

message 10: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) I'm pretty sure it's one a month and you have to return one to get another one. Still 12 books a year would pay for the Prime membership. I just ordered a Kindle yesterday.

message 11: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I just returned a Prime Lending Library book, and it is one per month. Hope it resets on the 1st, there's another book I want that my library doesn't have As an ebook.