75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Challenge) > Nath's 2011 75-book challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I had set the goal on 50 last year and I want to see if I can do a little better this year.
75 books is the minimum!

message 2: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 1. The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Nath wrote: "1. The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells"

I love Wells and this has always been one of my favorites. It's been ages since I read it... I may have to revisit it this year.

message 4: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I'm glad you like it. :)
Somehow I can't seem to get my head around to it. I read War of the Worlds and this one and both felt a bit like a letdown. I will read more of him, still want to try my hands on The Time Machine and The Invisible Man.

message 5: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Nath wrote: "I'm glad you like it. :)
Somehow I can't seem to get my head around to it. I read War of the Worlds and this one and both felt a bit like a letdown. I will read more of him, still want to try my ha..."

Well, I also loved War of the Worlds... but didn't really care for either The Time Machine or The Invisible Man. It will be interesting to see what you think when you get around to them :) Happy reading!

message 6: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Thanks! It won't be a problem I think.

Best wishes for the new year! :)

message 7: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 2. Complicit - Nicci French

message 8: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 3. The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

message 9: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
Nath, what did you think of Water's new one?

message 10: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I've written a review of it.
It was wonderful in the beginning, but the tension slacked a little further on.
A very emotional ride, but I thought the construction of the chapters wasn't so succesful.

But is this her latest? I thought The Little Stranger came after it. Which is just amazing, in my opinion! :)

message 11: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Oh maybe, I could be confused....lol

message 12: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 4. Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

message 13: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 5. Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl

message 14: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 6. All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris

message 15: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 7. From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris

message 16: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 8. Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris

message 17: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 9. Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving

10. Solar by Ian McEwan

message 18: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Nath, I own several John Irving books but they never call to me.

message 19: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 287 comments What did you think about Solar? Have you read any Ian McEwan before?

message 20: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Andrea wrote: "Nath, I own several John Irving books but they never call to me."

I lend Last night in twisted river from the library, because a friend of mine had read it and gave it a rather good review, but Irving has been out of my radar also. I own The Cider House Rules, but haven't gotten there to read it yet. It seems a little daunting, which I felt with Twisted River also. But since it was due to be returned I jumped in.

And I must say, it's not that bad. It starts out slowly, I had a brief moment of not wanting to read more, but I'm glad I did. The novel isn't action packed and it deals with raw human emotions, and I liked it, what can I say. If you want to know more, I've written a review of it on my blog.. http://touchofnovel.blogspot.com/2011...

Beware of the spoilers though, for my opinion, just scroll down. I just wasn't content with the summary given on the back of the book.

message 21: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Mollie wrote: "What did you think about Solar? Have you read any Ian McEwan before?"

Hi Mollie,

I wasn't impressed with Solar, I even didn't get around to finish it. It felt too much of a text book on possible solution for the environmental problems with a marital sideline thrown in.
I read Atonement, which I truly find marvellous, but Ian McEwan doesn't do satirical very well, it just is plain boring.
It won't keep me from reading more of him, I've read excellent reviews of Amsterdam and On Chesil Beach. I understand that everyone can have an offday and with an established writer it isn't that common that lesser books are not published.

message 22: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Nath! I'll try my hand at Irving sooner or later. I think I have Cider House and two others by him. If it starts off slow I may not last long...lol

message 23: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) No prob :)
I'm sure Irving will one day find himself in your lap! :P

11. Black Seconds by Karin Fossum

message 24: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hmmm, that sounds interesting!...hahah

message 25: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Maybe if he were a bit younger! lol

message 26: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 12. Chocolat by Joanne Harris

message 27: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 13. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien

message 28: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 14. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

message 29: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 15. Affinity by Sarah Waters

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Affinity looks interesting! I love that time period and the setting of London. Makes me think of foggy streets, puffy dresses, and clicky shoes on cobblestone streets. All making for a good story!...hahaha

message 31: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) It truly does! I recommend Affinity from the bottom of my heart. A very well told tale! :)

And that period invokes strange reminiscence in me as well, lol

message 32: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 16. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

message 33: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 18. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 34: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Nath wrote: "It truly does! I recommend Affinity from the bottom of my heart. A very well told tale! :)

And that period invokes strange reminiscence in me as well, lol"

Aww I love that time period and have this one in my tbr for awhile, guess will be reading it soon.

message 35: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) You won't regret it. :) Let me know what you thought of it, if you do.

message 37: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 20. Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind

message 38: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 21. The Quiet American by Graham Greene

message 39: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 22. Duma Key by Stephen King

message 40: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 23. Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

24. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

message 41: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 25. Prey by Michael Crichton

26. Enduring Love by Ian McEwan

27. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 42: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Nath, did you love the Book Thief?

message 43: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I not only loved it, I'm thinking about marrying it, if it was legally possible!

It has been a while I read such an accessible book that was THAT good!
Tears were rolling down my cheeks in the end. Such a sad ending for a story full of courage, but that's the true face of war of course.

message 44: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Haha! Yup, I really liked it too!

message 45: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 28. Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

message 46: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) 29. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Nath, I just finished Dead Reckoning myself and i'd love to know what you thought of it.

message 48: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I'm due to write a review about it, but haven't found the time yet.

It was better than the previous one, but I still prefer the early Sookie, than this all over the place, not feeling quite like herself Sookie.
I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like the focus has shifted to something not in the picture yet.
But more to come! Keep an eye out. :)

message 49: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) And please, before I'm being rude, share your own thoughts. There nothing better than to share ideas and opinions,well except for the actual reading that needs to be done. ^^

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed it, though not as much as the last one. I felt there were too many issues left unresolved, and while I understand that they need to keep their readership hanging to a certain extent, I thought she could have dealt with a bit more than she did. Hopefully I will get the answers i'm seeking in the next one! I will keep an eye out for your review.

« previous 1