Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > desc. in all caps?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Please tell me I can change the appropriate letters to lowercase. Please?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63...

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26559 comments Holy crap on a stick!!! Where do you find these unbelievable books Eva. No don't tell me, I really don't want to know.

You should add this one to Rivka's list! before it gets blown away in a sea of lowercase itis.

message 3: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jan 01, 2011 06:35AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 318 comments Holy crap! Hahaha! Pun totally intended...

message 4: by Becky (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sara ♥ wrote: "Holy crap! Hahaha! Pun totally intended..."

LOL!! Nice one. ;)

ETA: Maybe try the "proper" function in Excel to clean that up? Tedious!!

message 5: by Kerry (last edited Jan 01, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Kerry (scaevola) | 7 comments Also, I don't remember which books, but occasionally I'd swear I've come across books with their descriptions in caps. Is it alright to change those as well?

ETA: Oops, I thought this was about the title.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments On this one, the all caps is actually correct...the entire book is written that way!

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Beth wrote: "On this one, the all caps is actually correct...the entire book is written that way!"

Wow. That's... disturbing.

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Beth wrote: "On this one, the all caps is actually correct...the entire book is written that way!"

I think the title would remain in caps, but the description shouldn't.

Also, thank you for giving further evidence of why self-publishing is a bad thing. =P

message 9: by willaful (new)

willaful For extra fun today, see the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Christi...

message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Hilarious at Amazon and $136.18? That's why self publishing works!

message 11: by Fjeronimo (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:23PM) (new)

Fjeronimo | 21 comments Amazing. This is a great way to start 2011. It has been a while since I laughed so much...

Ps- Some of the reviews at Amazon are priceless!

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (scaevola) | 7 comments I loved the sarcastic reviews at Amazon, but I believe my brain is going to have an aneurysm from having used Amazon's "look inside" feature. It seems that the whole book is in caps while at the same time riddled with typographical and grammatical errors.

message 13: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I forget where I found this one! I laughed harder than I have in so long. I actually shared it on Facebook and we all got a big laugh.
I'm speechless. The all caps thing in the title and description really bother me.
I'm not sure why we, as in GR, have to keep it like that just because that's how it's "written". (I use that term loosely.)
I suppose I understand if that's the way it goes but it seems to me it would be better to have it mesh with our other mass of books. Since we have to keep it here at all. :-P

message 14: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Beth wrote: "On this one, the all caps is actually correct...the entire book is written that way!"

Beth, are you assuming we have to keep it because that's the way it's written or did you see this somewhere? I can't find anything on it and I'd like a super to chime in if we're still not sure. Can you tell it's bothering me? :)

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26559 comments The rule is: its supposed to kept as its written. It's in the manual somewhere.

Doesn't mention the description though, so that can change.

And I agree those reviews on Amazon are great!

message 16: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Sandra, you're saying the title is supposed to be as it is on the cover then? Ugh... someone shoot me now. Is there a way I can block the page so I never have to look at it again? :-/ Ha.. this woman irks me and I've never met her.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26559 comments Unfortunately, it is supposed to stay as is on the cover.

As to irkiness - she'd have to be at the top of the list!!!!

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) | 82 comments this belongs in the thread, "what the heck?"

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26559 comments Kim wrote: "this belongs in the thread, "what the heck?""

That's what I said back in post #2. LOL.

message 20: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Sandra wrote: "Kim wrote: "this belongs in the thread, "what the heck?""

That's what I said back in post #2. LOL."

Just wait until Rivka comes back online. I'm sure this'll make her day. =P

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26559 comments Yep, I'm sure it will :)

message 22: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) willaful wrote: "For extra fun today, see the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Christi..."

Check out the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26559 comments Yep, I did - a wonderful diverse group of people. LOL!!!!

message 24: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments You all really are good for some laughs (in a different way than this woman and her readers!) I was a little irked at myself for being awake at 4am but this made it worth it.
(And I'm SO happy I'm not the only one who this bothers!) Ugh....

message 25: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments wow!
this makes my day :)

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 553 comments Try this one for a smile as well ...
Love the author:
By Well Known Authors of All Countries

message 27: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments In large print yet.

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Sherry wrote: "Try this one for a smile as well ...
Love the author:
By Well Known Authors of All Countries"

Good catch!
(and sad, very, very sad.)

message 29: by Elly (new)

Elly (ellyj) | 29 comments Sherry wrote: "Try this one for a smile as well ...
Love the author:
By Well Known Authors of All Countries"

Actually, the "by well known authors of all countries" should be part of the title. It is a reprint of a 1922 catalogue of the Spectator book publishers, and includes not only their own list, but also the works of other publishers. There is no editor named, only The Spectator Company.

As far as I can see (from Amazon's Look Inside this) at the start it gives one page summaries of the books, but the latter part gives only very short descriptions.

Do we want to keep this? Then I suggest 'The Spectator Company' as editor, and no autor. Or do we NAB it?

message 30: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
Every book in the GR system must have an author. And I can't see why it should be NAB'd.

message 31: by Elly (new)

Elly (ellyj) | 29 comments rivka wrote: "Every book in the GR system must have an author. And I can't see why it should be NAB'd."

So 'The Spectator Company' as the author? I will change it that way then, and add the original publishing date.

message 32: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
Sounds like a plan.