We LoveFilm discussion

Welcome > News & Announcements

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
This is where I'll post public announcements and special news I'd like to share with you.

Since this thread will be used for information purposes only, I'll delete comments after a while and keep it closed to further comment most of the time.

message 2: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jan 13, 2011 03:12AM) (new)

Announcement

Hey guys, this group will be a lot more fun with more members so if there are people on your friends lists who you think might enjoy it here, please feel free to invite them to join! :)

Also I know some of you are not into movies as much as I am, but don't let that stop you from starting threads that are non movie related. The Lounge and the Anything but Films folders are for the purpose of having non-film related discussions so if there's something you'd like to chat about don't hesitate to start a thread.

I want this to be a fun and lively community for everyone to enjoy, but of course I can't make it so all on my own.

Another thing is that due to the demanding nature of my job (the workload of which has increases since my promotion) I really have no business starting groups on Goodreads, but those months I was away I really missed hanging out here. I probably won't be able to get on here everyday so while I'm offline I hope you guys will keep the group alive. I know some of you are busy with your own things, other groups and such, but like I said I hope this will be a place you will associate with relaxation and enjoyment. Like I've said on the other group as well, this is not Davina's group. This is a community for anyone who wants to be a part to enjoy. I don't need to be around for y'all to chat with each other and what not. :)

Ok, getting off the soap box now! lol :)

ETA: What I also hope is that even though some (all?) of you may not be as big on films as I am that you may be inspired to watch more films based on the movies we discuss here. There really are some great movies out there!

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Ok Davina, sounds good. :) I was wondering where you were lately. I'll try to check in more often!

message 4: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Brenda, great, but no pressure. People simply might not have a pressing need to start a thread or maybe shy or whatever, but I just wanted to put it out there just so everyone knows they're more than welcome to if they want! ;)

message 5: by Brenda (last edited Jan 11, 2011 02:40PM) (new)

Brenda I sort of jump around. One day I'm all into one group, the next another group, and so on. :) But it's always the same few groups.

message 6: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, a typical Sag! ;)

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Yes, you got that right. :)

message 8: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Announcement

Sorry I keep changing the name of this group. Though mostly inactive, there are at least 2 other groups that had the same name so to keep things fresh I gave us a new name. Hope you like! :)

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Cute. ;) I like it.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Well thanks for the explanations. What's with the question mark. We have to change our pic too?

message 11: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, thought it was kinda boring, dontcha think? I'm not totally in love with the new pic, but it serves its purpose. I think.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I kind of liked the other one better. That's just my opinion.

message 13: by Davina, The Modster (new)

What do you guys think of having a Movie of the Month? This is one movie we watch each month (or every other month if each month is too much of a commitment) and then discuss it here. It can be any movie, from any genre, domestic or foreign. Feedback welcome.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I like the idea!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I know I'm new here, but I love the idea of having a Movie of the Month. Sometimes, I'm slow to go see a movie, and this'll give me the motivation I need.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Question, how do we determine the MoM?

message 17: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Sam, you mind reader. :) I was just sitting here wondering the same thing. Any suggestions?

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Hmmm..... what about a group poll?

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments You know we think alike D! Lol. I was thinking something along the lines of a poll. Throw a few movies in the pot and do a poll. Another suggestion is to pick a theme and then select movies. For example, horror, politically conscious, romantic comedy, etc. Or another suggestion have group members pick the MoM. Only thing with that is everyone have different taste so it might not go well. Good thing is we all step out of our "boxes"

message 20: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Great ideas!

Okay so how would we do the poll? Should everyone throw in a suggestion or two or three and then we vote?

I like the this idea better because it gives us a greater opportunity to see a variety of genres.

Re: having members pick the MOM. We could do it on rotation. For example, you then me then Michelle and so on. I like it.

Okay so which one of these suggestions do you guys prefer? Perhaps we can alternate between the two? Poll one month, group member choice the other month? Or will that be too much of a hassle?

Decisions, decisions, decisions ... :)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Depending on how many members want to participate, I don't think alternating would be too much of a hassle at all. I like the suggestions idea for the poll, because I'd like to step outside of my little box and perhaps see something I wouldn't normally see.

My question is, should we limit our suggestions to something in the theater, or something readily available through Netflix, or redbox, etc.?

message 22: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I was thinking all of the above, Michelle. However, since going to the theatre will require a monthly -- or bi-monthly, whatever you guys prefer -- investment which some people might not want to commit to we can have more of one (netflix) and less of the other (theatre). Whatever you guys like. I'm good either way.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments My mind is moving. I can go to the theatre or I can go go through netflix or whatever. My thing is will all of the movies be current? Cause if we do a throwback (ha! I like that terminology) then that's cool too. I like monthly.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Isn't it getting expensive to go to the movies?! Thankfully, when I do go, I go in mid afternoon alone, LOL! I'm fine with alternating between the theater and Netflix, or whatever way we can all comfortably see the film. I'm ok with doing throwbacks (I like that terminology too!), as long as its easy enough to get a copy of.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Well not real old throwbacks but stuff that's not in the movies now. If we decide to do real classics that could be a theme that we plan well in advance. So everyone can try to get it.

The movies is getting expense and in the city is even more expensive. Lol. But I have problem dishing out the dollars. Lol.

message 26: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Great idea about planning ahead for the throwbacks (love this! :) and classics, Sam!

So is this the conclusion:

Frequency: Monthly
Theatre/DVD: Mostly DVD
How we choose: Poll & member POM* alternately

Did I get that correctly?

Michelle, with the member POM I think we can start off with the 3 of us for now and people can just jump in line whenever they like (although once someone joins in they should be able to stick around for at least 2 rotations if the list remains relatively small).

*POM=pick of the month

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I like this idea. I'm pumped!!! It wouldn't matter how many times we get to be POM b/c we are a small group at the moment.

message 28: by Davina, The Modster (new)

One more thing. What is the time frame for watching and then discussing the film?

We have a month so should we give ourselves 2 weeks to watch the movie and 2 weeks to discuss?

More than likely we'll discuss the film in less than 2 weeks so we can have a bit of a rest before the next MOM.

How do you guys wanna do it?

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I think that's a good idea. If we plan the MoM in advance (maybe a month or two in advance) then we have the time to get them on DVD or get ready to go see them in theatre, two weeks to watch the movie is good. Then the next two weeks to discuss. Allowing everyone the opportunity to jump right in.

Or you can have the whole month to watch the movie and next month discuss while you are viewing the next MoM. Only thing I don't like getting things confused. So I'm skeptical of this. It's your call!

message 30: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Hmmm ... I think I personally prefer watching the film and having the discussion all in one month. So new month, new film.

But that's just me personally. Whatever the majority decides is good enough for me.

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I prefer that too but I was thinking along the lines if someone don't get the chance to watch within the two weeks.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Whatever works best for everyone else is fine with me. I know I go through phases where I can watch movies all day long. Maybe once we get started, and have our regular routine, maybe we could do an ongoing "series" in addition. For example, we could watch the Alfred Hitchcock films or something.

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments That sounds interesting, Michelle. I plan to watch movies this weekend and probably go catch one or two as well. I haven't been going like I use to go.

message 34: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Is it feasible to set a specific date/s for the discussion? That way we'd have the vast majority of the month to see the film.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I think so. It would limit the risk of spoiling it for someone who hasn't been able to watch the film right away.

message 36: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Okay so shall we reserve the last weekend of the month to discuss the film? The discussion can officially start on the Friday evening.

message 37: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I like that idea :)

message 38: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Aright so that's settled then, yes? Please feel free to come with additional suggestions where you see fit. We'll try it out for the first movie and see how it goes. Then we can make adjustments in the second month.

Now, the final thing we need to decide is which method of choice we're gonna use to pick the first film, poll or POM?

message 39: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Good question. I don't have a preference.

message 40: by Davina, The Modster (new)

No, no, you have to choose one. I can't be making all the decisions alone! Too difficult. :)

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Come on Modster!! Ok, let's go with the POM. We can test to see how we really like that idea. If we find out we dislike it, we go to the polls.

message 42: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, thx! Now I'll just wait for Michelle's (or anyone else's) input then we're good to go.

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Ok! But if we do POM, you're starting it off. LOL!

message 44: by Davina, The Modster (new)

What?! :O

Why????? Seriously.

LOL! :)

message 45: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Modster, come on now! Lead us on!!! Plus when you agreed, I immediately thought "What if she picked me?" and guess what? My mind went blank. LOL...so I'm passing this off to you.

message 46: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, you're something else ...
Let's hear from Michelle first. Perhaps she'd like to go first. :)

message 47: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Question, does it matter if the person picks a movie some of us may have seen? I know we can't really avoid that.

message 48: by Davina, The Modster (new)

You're probably right, don't think we'll be able to avoid that so no, doesn't matter if you've alright seen the POM, but you can't start discussing until the official discussion date.

message 49: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Sounds like a plan :) I'm excited! When do we start the MoMs

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Noooooooooooo!!!! I don't want to go first, LOL! I like the POM to start too.

« previous 1