Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Reading Challenges > Abbie's 2011 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbie (last edited Mar 02, 2011 05:16AM) (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments My Goal is 100 books. Here is my goodreads challenge page.

http://www.goodreads.com/user_challen...

message 2: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Good luck! :)

message 3: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I want to create a list of the books I plan to read. I have so many between reviewing, Kindle freebie's and just ones I have bought.

I will do an Amish Fiction list first.

1. Search, The: A Novel by Suzanne Woods Fisher

2. The Thorn by Beverly Lewis

3. Lydia's Charm: An Amish Widow Starts Over in Charm, Ohio by Wanda E. Brunstetter

4. The Journey by Wanda E. Brunstetter

5. A Gift of Grace: A Novel by Amy Clipston

6. A Time to Love by Barbara Cameron

I am sure I will add more but for now that is what I have.

message 4: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I have read all on that list except 1 and 2 and all them were great!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1571 comments Mod
Happy reading with your challenge. I'll be there cheering you on. :-)

If I would read the books I have, I'd get through 60+ books and that doesn't include what I got for Christmas.

message 6: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Just got done reading The Journey. I liked it but again did not love it. Not that you love every book you read of course.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I generally have the same like-but-not-love feeling about Wanda Brunstetter books!

message 8: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Yeah it was a borderline 4 for me almost 3.5. I am just not sure the authors writing style is for me.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Yeah, I think it's the style for me as well. It just seems a bit too simplistic, maybe? They're nice books to pass the time with quickly but I never feel like I need to keep reading...they're easy to put down. If that make sense?

message 10: by Abbie (last edited Jan 17, 2011 04:22AM) (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Yeah I think that is a good way of saying it. I guess I did not feel the characters where all that deep and I also felt there where too many characters and it took away from the main ones. I sometimes feel the Amish books try to tell so many perspectives in one book and its almost like reading a T.V show and it makes it harder to follow.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I feel like that with some books, too. Some authors can really pull it off, like Jodi Picoult who always has tons of characters. But other times the main characters do get a bit lost! I think you're right about that.

message 12: by Abbie (last edited Jan 17, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I agree some authors do pull it off I think Suzanne Woods Fisher does a good job of it. I am not sure I have read Jodi Picoult I will have to check some of her books out.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I love Jodi Picoult. She's a secular author but she deals with so many popular issues that are relevant to today's society in an excellent manner. She's written one book about an Amish girl who is accused of having a baby out of wedlock and murdering it, called Plain Truth. It's probably my favourite of her books.

I have Suzanne Woods Fisher's first novel on my wishlist, will keep my eye out for it.

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Just got done reading s fun Romance A Billion Reasons Why. It was a little cheesy at times but I could not put it down!

message 15: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I also read The Search. I liked it but did not love it quite as much as the other two. I guess I felt the ending was a little of a let down but over all I really enjoyed it.

message 16: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments Abbie wrote: "Well I am going to try for 100 books in 2011! I bought my kindle in September and have already read 50 so I think I can!

50 books this year already or since you got the kindle?

message 17: by Abbie (last edited Jan 24, 2011 07:37PM) (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I read fifty books from Aug last year to Dec 31st. I am a lightening fast reader so I can read a 300 page book in nothing short when I have the time. I only really get to read in the evenings for 1-3hrs and can still finish a book in 2 days less if I get a chance to read during my kids nap time.

message 18: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments That is cool. I can't read that long straight. Not that I don't have the time because I do. I just don't have the energy to read that long I guess.

I read When Night Falls in one day and so did my mom. But it was short 98 pages and 7 chapters. I read it on the kindle.

message 19: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Well at the end of February I have read 16 books not bad. I am not sure I will make my goal of 100 but we will see. I read a lot of historical fiction the last month and not a lot of Amish fiction.

This month I have a few Amish books to read so I am excited to do that. After reading so far this year I have two authors I am loving a lot right now.

M.L. Tyndall and Mary Connealy Marylou is historical fiction she is just awesome and Mary is western Historical and she is awesome too!

message 20: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Ooohh Abbie, M.L. Tyndall looks great! Can you recommend a book or two by her to me to get started? :)

message 21: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I see you found one of the books I was going to tell you about. :)

Both Surrender the Heart and Surrender the Night(comes out March 1st) are at Netgalley for review which is how I found her. The 3rd of that series is due out in August 2011. Surrender the Dawn

If you go to her website it makes it a little easier to see all her books.

http://www.mltyndall.com/

I also reviews The Blue Enchantresswhich is book two in her last series. I wish I had read the first one first. Its called The Red Siren and the last one of that series is The Raven Saint.

Probably more then you wanted to know but I just love her and any one who like Historical Christian fiction will to I bet!

message 22: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments thanks so much Abbie! As if I don't have enough to read already, but her books looks SUPER enticing. I absolutely adore historical fiction.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I love Mary Connealy too! I'll have to check out the other author you mentioned, I think I might have one of her books from NetGalley already, need to check.