Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > Are you using an eReader?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jengray72) | 5 comments I recently got a Kobo, and I just love it. It's super easy to use, but I struggle with the guilt of not reading an actual book--I do love the feel and the smell of books. My house is filled with them! But the Kobo is so convenient, and I have it with me all the time, so no reading opportunity is missed. Plus it came with 100 free classics, so I'm reading some of those books I always meant to get to.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments I recently got a Nook and I am still reading real books too. I got it for convenience and to use with real books. I love it and am glad I waited a bit to break down and get it. I was able to get a lot of free books from Barnes and Noble. I too am using my e-reader to read books, such as classics, I always meant to read. I find it is great to have so that I can run two books at the same time easier.

message 3: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8733 comments Mod
I am resisting to buy an actual eReader due to the cost (noting we have a 1 yr old, just bought a piece of land and is going to build a house - I'm drowning in mortgages!) but have been using my iphone to read ebooks. I guess it's not particularly preferred as the screen is a bit small but it's convenient at times :)

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just got a nook for Christmas and my husband has an ipad. I like reading books on them more than I thought I would. They are so convenient! Can't wait for my next trip now... no more hauling 5-6 books for a long weekend. I know that my husband will be excited too!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jengray72) | 5 comments Sara, you're totally right! I don't think I've ever read three books simultaneously before, but I'm doing it now. On my Kobo, I'm working on a cookbook and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and in bed I'm reading the latest Sookie Stackhouse. Talk about multi-tasking!

message 6: by Cam (new)

Cam We bought a kobo for our Daughter (Miss 11) via A&R in Aus for Christmas. The classics already downloaded was a big drawcard for us. I have already had an issue with a downloading going amiss but was extremely happy with the after sale service that had it sorted very quickly courtesy of the 24/7 hotline (and on a Public Holiday too - Merry Christmas to the lovely lady on call in Ontario, Canada). Miss 11 is starting highschool after the Christmas break & textbook lists via ereaders cannot come fast enough for me. Aside from her posture screaming out for help with the weight of the standard texts currently involved, I'd love to see the dent an ereader does to a $711.00 booklist.......Bring it on ministry of education!!!!!!!!

P.S. HOWEVER & BUT & NEEDLESS TO SAY, with Moi & the amount of literal books I have sitting on Mt. Bedside Table, I won't get to breathe in the same room as an ereader till 2027 or is that 2072......:) My only hope is if I'm gifted one..mmmmmmmmm Yes, it would be rude if I was to decline....HONEY, OH HONEY, come here and read these witty & super hugely noteworthy & informative posts!!!!!!!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Cam, I am with you....mine was a gift for my birthday courtesy of the in laws and rents! ;) Hope your daughter can get a lot of her books on her e-reader!

I am loving my Nook for travel. It was much easier over the holiday. I left the library books at home and caught up on them when I returned. I do find I am much better in the car with it too.

message 8: by Krait (new)

Krait | 58 comments I still have the first paperback book I ever purchased about 40 years ago. And it's still readable. I wonder just how readable the bits in eReaders will be in 40 years time?

message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments Krait wrote: "I still have the first paperback book I ever purchased about 40 years ago. And it's still readable. I wonder just how readable the bits in eReaders will be in 40 years time?"

I'm a "real" book reader too, and can't imagine reading a plastic box. That being said, I definitely see the use in them especially for those who have a hard time holding a heavy book and I guess it helps if you are traveling to not have to carry heavy books. Not for me, though -- at least not yet!

message 10: by Erin E (last edited Dec 31, 2010 07:38PM) (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Karen wrote: "I am resisting to buy an actual eReader due to the cost (noting we have a 1 yr old, just bought a piece of land and is going to build a house - I'm drowning in mortgages!) but have been using my ip..."

The iphone and ipod touch beats the time I spent reading off my blackberry curve...

I have a Kobo 1st Gen and it has been nothing but headaches, I've had two replacements and countless emails and phone calls to customer service about this kobo's consistent need to crash and freeze, but I did just down loaded the 1.8 operating system for it and so far, this is day 4 with no crashes, or freezing.

I do agree with Jennifer, I LOVE the free classics, and the fact that I can care a tonne of books in my work bag and not have to worry about the extra load causing back problems. I don't miss reading books because the Kobo is a lot kinder to my wrist injuries from rollerblading.

I refuse to get rid of my kobo despite all the problems because it was a VERY generous gift for helping my Mum move. But I would LOVE a Nook, simply because it has a wonderful eTextbook program that the student in me would LOVE to have! (despite being back lit, the eText feture is quite a draw, no more heavy lifting! yipee!!)

message 11: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Krait wrote: "I still have the first paperback book I ever purchased about 40 years ago. And it's still readable. I wonder just how readable the bits in eReaders will be in 40 years time?"

Ironically the eInk ereaders will outlast the eReaders that are back lit because eInk acts almost like an etch-a-sketch whereas the Kindle or even the iPad is back lit and not only tough on the eyes but pixels can die out.

message 12: by Candiss (last edited Dec 31, 2010 06:20PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) Erynn wrote: "Ironically the eInk ereaders will outlast the eReaders that are back lit because eInk acts almost like an etch-a-sketch whereas the Kindle or even the iPad is back lit and not only tough on the eyes but pixels can die out. "

Just to clarify: The Kindle is e-paper and e-ink and NOT backlit. The iPad and Nook are backlit. (I recently did a ton of research trying to decide between Kindle and Nook, and Kindle won out due to the eink and ability to read in bright sunlight with no glare, which the backlit LCD screen of Nook and iPad makes quite difficult. Edit to add: And the much longer battery life of the Kindle.)

message 13: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Candiss wrote: "Erynn wrote: "Ironically the eInk ereaders will outlast the eReaders that are back lit because eInk acts almost like an etch-a-sketch whereas the Kindle or even the iPad is back lit and not only to..."

Opps, I did not realise they were now. I do know the Kindle's battery life is impressive. Thanks for the info! :)

message 14: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) They are delightful gadgets!

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim I have both a Nook and a Kindle and I love ebooks! The original Nook is NOT backlit, just the Nook Color.

message 16: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I've had a Kindle for the past couple of months. I absolutely LOVED it when I traveled at Thanksgiving. I don't see it replacing regular books for me entirely, but it is much nicer to read from than my Palm phone.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) I was gifted a B&N nook+WiFi last year for my birthday. I *love* it.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments I'm still firmly in the real book camp, but I have converted my Sony PSP to read ebooks using a free software download so I can take advantage of the many free ebooks that are around. Saying that I did compare my PSP screen to the ereaders available and there's not much difference in size with some of them and with the software I downloaded I can adjust the text size, colour and font and change the background colour (I do not recommend trying to read white text on a black background, it may look cool but it does strain the eyes very quickly).

Despite the free books (which was why I converted the PSP) I still much prefer the real book, there's still something lacking in the experience of reading on an ereader. But it is very useful when travelling as I can have a selection of books without the weight and it makes reading during night-time surveys very easy (saved loads on batteries for my torch!)

message 19: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Candiss wrote: "Erynn wrote: "Ironically the eInk ereaders will outlast the eReaders that are back lit because eInk acts almost like an etch-a-sketch whereas the Kindle or even the iPad is back lit and not only to..."

Thank you for making that correction. I am in the market for an e-reader and my research is making me lean toward the Kindle, though I wish there was a color version. It sounds like a color version may be a possibility in 2012. I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I have a Nook, also, and I love it, but like many of you, I still love my "real pages". I would say that probably my reading is still 60 print 40 e-reader. I also read books on my phone, which has both the Kindle and the Nook app. At times it is really nice to have the capability to read on a portable electronic device. For example, we just spent 18 hours over 2 days getting my youngest son and bringing him here for the summer and it was nice not to have to cart a bunch of books in the car. One device had them all. Also, I am in a Reading the Chuncksters club, and it is nice not to have to tote such huge books around. That said, there is nothing like sitting in my favorite chair, or on the back deck with a print version of a book.

message 21: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Jun 10, 2011 05:14PM) (new)

Kathie wrote: "Candiss wrote: "Erynn wrote: "Ironically the eInk ereaders will outlast the eReaders that are back lit because eInk acts almost like an etch-a-sketch whereas the Kindle or even the iPad is back lit..."

Just one more clarification, the black and white Nooks are NOT backlit, they use e-Ink, and I am guessing that the color Kindles will be as there is no way to do a color screen without backlighting.

There are several things that I like about my Nook, but feel in the end, that both the Nook and the Kindle are just as good. It is sort of a personal preference. Some of the things that I like about my Nook are the ability to read any book for free in a B&N store. I have a B&N store pretty close, and use this for new and popular books that have huge wait lists at the library, but I don't want to buy. In the beginning I liked the ability to get books from more places than just B&N also. I could download to my Nook from the library, and most free books sites on the net. I think the Kindle can do that now, too, though. My battery lasts about 10 days on airplane mode, which is good for me.

Just checked out the new black and white Nook and now I want one, lol. They are smaller and lighter over all, but have the same size screen, about the size of a mass market paperback. PLUS they are faster, have a longer life battery (supposedly 2 months) and the eInk technology has been improved. I think Kindle in coming out with a comparable new Kindle soon, too.

Who knew I would love an e-reader so much. I still like my print books, and love to look at them on the shelf, but for carting around, an e-Reader is great!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I have a Kobo reader as well, and it's very useful. I am the type of person who likes to carry a book with me EVERYWHERE, so it's nice that it's light and easy to use. I just keep it in my purse and pull it out to read a few pages whenever I have the chance. When I'm home though, I generally read from an ink and paper book. :)