Anarchist & Radical Book Club discussion

Book Club 2011 & 2012 > January Book Selection: choosing the 1st group read

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tinea, loose ends coordinator (last edited Dec 29, 2010 08:25PM) (new)

Tinea (pist) | 132 comments Mod
OK! I am psyched to read a book club book, even if only one or two people are able to do it too. I volunteer to facilitate to get things going, if no one objects.

I used an internet thingie to generate 5 random numbers, which when applied to the "to-read" list came up with the following books:

1. Pinochet's Economists: The Chicago School of Economics in Chile
2. Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone
3. Anarchy by Malatesta
4. A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror
5. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment by Patricia Hill Collins, the classic on standpoint theory

I'm setting up a poll, so vote for one of these if you plan to participate.

If you have a book you'd prefer to read, comment here and I'll add it to the poll.
(Remember you can add books to the "to-read" list also, via the "bookshelf" link on the right)

Use the next week (until Tuesday the 4th) to comment here about what book you'd like to read, discuss the choices, with the goal of choosing one book by next Tuesday.

message 2: by Tinea, loose ends coordinator (last edited Dec 29, 2010 08:44PM) (new)

I want to add an additional book to the list:

6. Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza by Gloria Anzaldua

I've been meaning to read it for a long time, and just got a copy.

In terms of the other books, I'm very interested in the 3 neoliberal war books, though they're in line with what I usually read. I've already read Black Feminist Thought, but it's fantastic if dense; I'd read it again. Not sure about Malatesta but the reviews on GR make this book sound short and interesting, if only as a summary.

Please comment if you plan to participate, even a little. If no one does, I'll read Borderlands and throw some background and discussion points out there, so at least something happens and maybe people will want to try again in the next months.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Killjoy | 3 comments I could be convinced to read Malatesta, but I'd be more excited about one of the contemporary anarchist theory books, like Anarchy Works (though it sounds like you've already read it and didn't think much of it).

I'd also be excited to read A Thousand Plateaus, or Ecology Without Nature, though the last might be rather tangential.

message 4: by Tinea, loose ends coordinator (new)

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Anarchy Works, it felt like a long list of citations. I ended up just paging through it getting bored.

Not sure I'm ready to take on a 600 page book (A Thousand Plateaus).

I would however be into Ecology Without Nature. This line from its description is great: "Instead of trying to use an idea of nature to heal what society has damaged, Morton sets out a radical new form of ecological criticism: 'dark ecology.'" bahaha

message 5: by Tinea, loose ends coordinator (new)

So with no other comments, shall we read Ecology Without Nature?

Anyone else in?

unread topics | mark unread