Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Favorite Reads of 2010?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ladiibbug (new)

Ladiibbug Hi Everyone ~

Which book is your favorite UF read of 2010?

How about other favorite 2010 reads in any genre?

Seems like most people can't choose just one book in some categories, so ties or top 3, 5 whatever are OK :-)

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins , Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Driven by Eve Kenin and Hidden by Eve Kenin were recent reads that I thought were really great.

message 3: by Ladiibbug (new)

Ladiibbug p.s. Books chosen can be published in any year, not choices are not restricted to books pub. only in 2010.

message 4: by Tiphaine (last edited Jan 14, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments I read the Kate Daniel serie this year and I loved it! In the YA categorie, I read the Vampire Academy serie and it was amazing. I read a lot of other really good books in 2010 but those 2series are just WOW!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 81 comments Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater completely blew me away, shame that Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater wasn't as good.

I also loved Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost .

They are the 2 that really stand out for me.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments Tiphaine wrote: "I read the Kate Daniel serie this year and I loved it! In the YA categorie, I read the Vampire Academy serie and it was amazing. I read a lot of other really good books in 2010 but those 2series ar..."

Oooh, I second Kate Daniel's series. That was really good too.

message 7: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 21 comments This was more a PNR year than UF but I really enjoyed Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs and look forward to continuing the series.

The only five star read of 2010 was Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione . Total page turner. Could not put it down. The whole Demonica series rocks!

message 8: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 I read the entire Harry Potter series for the first time and absolutely loved it! Other than that i was disappointed by a lot of the books I read this year The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Life As We Knew It, Clockwork Angel, Shiver, and the others I can't even remember. Currently snuggling up with the comfortable writing style and familiar setting of Beautiful Darkness that just came out and is the second in the series. I really like it.

message 9: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 62 comments My favorite UF series that I read this year was the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

I also loved the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

message 10: by Tiphaine (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments Gaynell wrote: "My favorite UF series that I read this year was the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

I also loved the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs."

Love the Fever serie, can't wait for the last book!

message 11: by Paula (last edited Dec 30, 2010 06:08AM) (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I was surprised and delighted about how much I liked Bayou Moon. The first book of the series, 'On the Edge', was just ok.

Gail Carriger books were great. And I discovered that Scott Westerfeld wrote good books other than the 'Uglies' series. I liked the Kitty book I listened to by Carrie Vaughn. And I must not forget the Harry Dresden series.

message 12: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I started the Dresden Files in 2010 and loved it! I've gotten thru #9 (I think). I also adored The Hunger Games, altho the sequels weren't quite as good. I know there were more, but I'm drawing a blank right now. I'll post them when I remember them.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 55 comments The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan was my favorite for the year.

I also really loved Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy - try the audiobook, it was fantastic!

The newest Dresden book was great Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher too. You'll enjoy it when you get there, Lisa.

I was really surprised at how much I loved The Hunger Games. I thought the premise sounded so depressing, but I gave in to peer pressure and tried it and was glad I did. The sequels weren't as good, but it's interesting to think about how the overall story arc will change the kids who read it. I've been so influenced by the books I've read. I hope kids learned a lesson about the costs of war and more from those books.

I also loved books by Maggie Stiefvater, Devon Monk, Ilona Andrews, Nicole Peeler, Stacia Kane, Laura Resnick, Gail Carringer, Richelle Mead and so many more. It was a great year for UF!

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I am downloading Skulduggery Pleasant as I type this. I hadn't known of this series. Thanks Cathy!

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 233 comments The best urban fantasy that I read in 2010 wasDeath Blowsby D.D. Barant.

The other urban fantasy that I read this year which I really loved was Wounded. Amy Lane's Little Goddess series was my favorite new to me series in 2010.

The best book I read in 2010 in any genre was
Who Fears Death, an African post-apocalyptic fantasy by Nnedi Okorafor.

Other 2010 favorites were:

Eye of the Whale: A Novel, an eco-thriller by Douglas Carlton Abrams

Naamah's Curseby Jacqueline Carey

The Coroner's Lunchby Colin Cotterill, a very unusual mystery.

The Gaslight Dogs, an alternate Canada fantasy, by Karin Lowachee

Marcelo In The Real Worldby Francisco X. Stork, a YA novel about an autistic teen who spends the summer working at his Dad's law firm.

Sunflowersby Sheramy Bundrick, a very intense novel about Vincent Van Gogh in Arles.

Messenger of Truthby Jacqueline Winspear, a novel in the post WWI Maisie Dobbs mystery series that deals with the power of art.

message 16: by Betelgeuze (last edited Jan 01, 2011 03:56AM) (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments My 2010 favourites:

Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2) by Diana Rowland Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5) by Rob Thurman Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6) by Michelle Sagara West Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8) by Anne Bishop Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3) by Thomas E. Sniegoski

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend, #1) by J.S. Chancellor Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid, #5) by Richelle Mead Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder The Darkest Powers Trilogy Omnibus by Kelley Armstrong The Singing The Fourth Book of Pellinor (Pellinor Series) by Alison Croggon Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

to many to just choose a few...

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Here are my favorites in fantasy & science fiction:
Benighted by Kit Whitfield Pegasus by Robin McKinley * Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher
Naamah's Kiss (Kushiel's Legacy, #7) by Jacqueline Carey * Muse and Reverie (Newford #23) by Charles de Lint CryoBurn (Vorkosigan Saga, #14) by Lois McMaster Bujold Blackout (All Clear, #1) by Connie Willis All Clear (All Clear, #2) by Connie Willis Fahrenheit 451 The Authorized Adaptation by Ray Bradbury Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon

These are YA & UF favorites:

The Painted Boy by Charles de Lint Blue Boy by Rakesh Satyal

message 19: by Ladiibbug (last edited Jan 01, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

Ladiibbug My #1 favorite read for 2010 in any genre is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, #1 Flavia de Luce - mystery - by Alan Bradley.

My #1 UF read for 2010 is Soulless, #1 Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger.

More favorite UF reads:

The Vampire of New York stand alone - Lee Hunt

Bloodsucking Fiends, #1 Love Story series - Christopher Moore

Dying to Live, #1 Zombie series - Kim Paffenroth

Every Last Drop, #4 Joe Pitt, PI/Vampire - Charlie Huston

The Angry Angel, #1 Sisters of the Night trilogy - Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

Other non-UF Favorites:

Q & A (aka Slumdog Millionaire) - Vikas Swarup

What Remains of Heaven, #5 St. Cyr historical mystery - C.S. Harris

The Unbearable Lightness of Scones, #5 44 Scotland Street series - Alexander McCall Smith

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, non-fiction - Michael Pollan

message 20: by Candy (new)

Candy | 26 comments My favorite books this year were the Patrcia Briggs mercy Thompson books.

message 21: by Leslie Bhargava (new)

Leslie Bhargava | 9 comments Kat - I find it interesting you really liked Graceling but didn't like Fire. It was quite the opposite for me.

message 22: by jD (last edited Jan 02, 2011 08:43PM) (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 67 comments I love Jim Butcher and Simon Green but consider both their series "Dresden Files and Nightside" Science Fiction. I am not sure where that line in the sand is. My favorite new Urban Fantasy series for 2010 was "Dark Days" by Jocelyn Drake and "Kate Daniels" by Ilona Andrews. I also have a good feeling about Night Myst -- vampiric elves. One book so far and it seems to have potential even if the writing is painfully slow.

message 23: by Lily (new)

Lily E (ninaeve) | 2 comments UF: Mercy Thompson Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs

UF/PNR: Guild Hunter Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh

YA: Hush, Hush Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick

message 24: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 21 comments CQY is such an awesome author. She's been writing about the vampire Count St. Germain for 30 years and his stories still don't get old. Glad you discovered her Ladiibbug!

message 25: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook was definitely one of my 2010 favorites.

message 26: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Without a doubt, Changes by Jim Butcher was my favorite book of 2010.

message 27: by Yodamom (last edited Jan 09, 2011 07:32AM) (new)

message 28: by Tiphaine (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments The Downside Ghosts books are also a great serie I read in 2010. Loved it.

message 29: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Tiphaine wrote: "The Downside Ghosts books are also a great serie I read in 2010. Loved it."

Oh! How did I forget that one? I loved the first one, but didn't get a chance to read the rest yet. Plan to soon, tho! :)

message 30: by Tiphaine (last edited Jan 16, 2011 03:02AM) (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments Lisa MH wrote: "Tiphaine wrote: "The Downside Ghosts books are also a great serie I read in 2010. Loved it."

Oh! How did I forget that one? I loved the first one, but didn't get a chance to read the rest yet. P..."

They're as good as the first one but the end of the 2nd book is heartbreaking...

message 31: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Tiphaine wrote: "They're as good as the first one but the end of the 2nd book is heartbreaking..."

Oh no. :'( I'm going to the library today to try to check it out. I have some guesses what might happen, but we'll see...

message 32: by Jessie (last edited Jan 18, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

Jessie | 61 comments So many favorites that I read in 2010 but the most stand out(at least for UF) will have to be Adrian Phoenix.

A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2) by Adrian Phoenix Beneath the Skin (The Maker's Song, #3) by Adrian Phoenix Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1) by Adrian Phoenix

message 33: by Lily (last edited Jan 19, 2011 07:03AM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 84 comments My favorite book, I guess its sci fi, or dystopian was Feed.

Also way at the top were
Unholy Ghosts, Unholy Magic, City of Ghosts,
Dying Bites and Death Blows. One last book that blew me away was Naamah's Kiss. Im sure I'll think of others but I must get to work.

Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane
Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1) by D.D. Barant and Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2) by D.D. Barant Naamah's Kiss (Kushiel's Legacy, #7) by Jacqueline Carey .

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) The books I marked as Favorites last year:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Faking It by Jennifer Crusie
Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie
The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne
The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins:
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

message 35: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (shazamy) My favorites (all genres, in most cases I went on to read the entire series) read last year were:

Tempest Rising
Moon Called
Dead Witch Walking
Changes
Burning Alive
Skinwalker
Heart-Shaped Box
Changeless
Cry Wolf
The Hunger Games

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

message 36: by Ships (new)

Ships (shipswheel) | 1 comments Fantastic - Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane ,Also loved all three of the chicago lands series Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill .....

message 37: by jD (last edited Feb 19, 2011 08:39PM) (new)