Jane Austen discussion

Sense & Sensi. (2008 Discuss.) > Why doesn't Colonel Brandon fall in love with Elinor?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (pheather) Elinor and Colonel Brandon are closer in age and temperment, why are they not attracted to one another?

message 2: by LeOta (new)

LeOta (berrylota) | 26 comments Marianne reminded Colonel Brandon of his first love. While Elinor may have been a better match on paper, she was in love with someone else as well, so she most likley wouldn't have been happy with the match either.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 20 comments I feel like Colonel Brandon and Elinor were very much alike in personality. And you know what they say...opposites attract! Marianne is so emotional and Colonel Brandon is so reserved. They complete eachother.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Powell  | 3 comments I always thought Colonel Brandon should fall for Mrs Dashwood actually. She was still such a young lady and deserved some happiness.

message 5: by Shayne (new)

Shayne | 49 comments I agree with LeOta that Marianne reminds Brandon of his lost love.

There's a lot of passion in Brandon, though it's well under control, and I think that the more mature Marianne at the end of the book is more like him in nature than might appear on the surface.

Their shared love of music is important, given how much music means to Marianne. It's also a symbol, I think, of the emotional connection they forge.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments In several of Jane's books the woman that the hero of the story loves always is in need of direction. It is obvious that Elinor is not in need of instruction on how to behave. Marianne needs and could use some instruction on how to behave. For some reason in many books written of this time period thinks marriage as an occupation. What better occupation in the instruction of your lady in creating someone with better manners, education, enjoyment and opening them to your world and what delights you. For them education can be on how to give parties, books...introducing them to your favorite author or play, to have them appreciate the arts, such as drawing, painting, music, etc. Elinor is too alike Col. Brandon and needs very little instruction on some endeavors. But then again Marianne is so eager and so passionate about living life that it can only attract someone wanting an occupation for life at home.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I agree with the early comment about opposites attract and I think that they became too close friends. I know some would say to this argument that Emma and Knightly were friends but they were quite different - back to opposites attract again!! :)

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May 1. Because Marianne was a reminder of Brandon's first love, but had something of her own as well.
2. Because Elinor was in love with someone else.
3. Because there was no spark between them - they were alike in temperament, and agreeable in opinion, and I believe they are just better as wonderful, trustworthy, dear friends to each other.
4. Because, as mentioned, opposites do attract! To be honest, I think that Marianne and Brandon are perfect for each other. It's just that Marianne took a while to realize it.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May Shayne wrote: "I agree with LeOta that Marianne reminds Brandon of his lost love.

There's a lot of passion in Brandon, though it's well under control, and I think that the more mature Marianne at the end of the ..."

YES YES YES - Brilliant points.

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Perfectly expressed points there Becca!!
Elinor was destined for Edward!!

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May Thanks Soph. :)

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Fabulous question and one I've pondered during the reading and why S&S isn't my favorite. And I don't like Edward.
SEQUEL somebody!!!!!
^o0^
Patg

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 34 comments I think Kathleen has it, but I'm also interested in LeOta's point.

How many of the people we feel unaccountably attracted to and people who resonate deep in our minds with something or someone from our past?

Shelley
Rain, A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather Brown | 6 comments I think the reason that he didn't fall in love with Elinor is due to the lack of chemistry between the two of them. Marianne had so much passion compared to her sister and I feel that is what Colonel Brandon had when he was younger. Besides who could imagine Brandon with anyone else but Marianne.

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments That true!! He and Marianne fit!!

He is definitely a passionate man. What he was going to do to Eliza and did for her, and staying faithful for so long.
I read Amanda Granges Col. Brandon's diary recently and in that he became such a sweet and romantic more, I mean he became more sweet and romantic! And when we saw his past with Eliza when he was 19 he seemed like such a nice, happy, lovely and romantic and passionate young man!!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Brown | 6 comments What is the title of this book on Colonel Brandon, I would love to check it out. He was a favorite of mine in the book.

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I recommend all the diaries in the series, by Amanda Grange.
Called
Colonel Brandon's diary. :)
Others are Mr Darcy's Diary, Edmund Bertram's Diary, Henry Tilney's Diary, Mr Knightley's Diary and Captain Wentworth's diary.

:)

message 18: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments I've read Mr. Knightley's Diary and enjoyed it very much. Must try some of the others.

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments They are very good.
I really enjoyed... Wentworth and also Brandon. You saw back stories which was good, but you do with all of them! They were all good!!