Chicks On Lit discussion

Debbie's 2011 TBR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments After looking around at the piles of new books purchased in 2010 [either new or used] in my bedroom that haven't made it to a book shelf yet, I decided to set myself a CHALLENGE. I listed them in "my books" on a shelf called "2011 TBR Challenge" and plan on steadily ticking away at the list and moving them to my "read" shelf. I also decided to not buy any more books until I have read the books on my challenge list [not promising to keep to that decision but will try my best]. My list was at an approx. 60 books, but I had to make some hard decisions and kick some off it to make room for the books I will be reading in my 2 face-to-face book clubs during the year.

I am going to start my CHALLENGE on January 1st. The number of books on my list number more than I have ever read in a year before so I am HOPEFUL and EXCITED!!!!!!

Wish me luck!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Fabulous goal/challenge, Debbie. And I DO wish you luck!

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments Thanks!

message 4: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 4853 comments Good luck, Debbie. Go ahead.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments Thanks! counting down the days

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Wishing you lots of luck and many hours of happy reading, Debbie!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 82 comments Have fun with this! It sounds like a great challenge!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments Thanks Lisa

message 9: by Laura K (new)

Laura K | 266 comments Sounds like a great challenge Debbie. I have a lot of books in the bedroom too, and I always intend to read them first, but then I end up buying more and moving those I've not read out to other bookshelves in the house. The books moved become out of sight, out of mind; I always feel I lose track of what I wanted to read. Have great fun with your challenge!

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments i do the same thing. buy, buy, buy, but i don't move the old out of the bedroom and the stacks just got taller and taller. when i entered them into good reads on my 2011 tbr challenge shelf - i had more than 80 and i knew i could never read all of them in 1 year. i am still alittle leary of the number i have but am going to give it a good try.

i hope you get through your stacks and read some of the books that ended up out of sight and out of mind.

message 11: by Laura K (new)

Laura K | 266 comments Thanks Debbie. I just started reading The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel last night, one of the books in the bedroom. So I guess I've now begun. :-)

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments i just added your book to my tbr list. maybe i'll get to it in 2012. it looks good

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) The Lacemaker's of Glenmara is a Wonderful novel; one of my top 5 reads of 2010!

I've made a concerted effort in the last few years not to buy as many brand new books as I used to and use the library more. Since last year I've been trying to whittle away at the books I already own in addition to the ones I take from the libray for my in-person monthly book club reads. Gives me great satisfaction to get through the ones I own! Best of luck Debbie!

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments thanks. i'm already behind. didn't finish the last 2 books i started in 2010 cuz i spent yesterday watching a Dr. Who marathon and today sorting through my bookshelves. now i am looking through the different challenges on goodreads to see if any of my books fit.

talk about procrastination

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I was watching the Doctor Who marathon too!!!

message 16: by Debbie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 08:57PM) (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments the doctor is the best. have you ever read the books?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I haven't but I've seen them; have you? Are they any good?

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments i haven't read them but remember seeing them on a special shelf in a little used book store in town a long time ago way before they starting making dr who again in 2005 so i vagely knew who who was

message 19: by Franny (new)

Franny Burd Good luck! I'll be checking in to see what you're reading and get ideas. :)

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments thanks Franny. i just looked at your read shelf and go ideas for future reads. it looks like we have quite a few books in common.

message 21: by Franny (new)

Franny Burd Sounds great - happy reading!