}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

The Books > The Tempest Trilogy by Tracy Deebs

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garrett (last edited Jun 14, 2012 01:12PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Post your thoughts and feelings about Tempest Rising and Tempest Unleashed by Tracy Deebs below.
Tempest Rising (Tempest #1) by Tracy Deebs Tempest Unleashed (Tempest #2) by Tracy Deebs

message 2: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's the cover for the UK edition of Tempest Rising, which I found on the author's blog:
description

message 3: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
I hope dearly that we get that cover.

message 4: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) So, Tempest Rising has a sequel coming out next year! It's going to be called Tempest Unleashed, and I am SO excited for it!

message 5: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
I'm about halfway through the book now. I'm still liking it!

message 6: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
I'll have to find it soon!

message 7: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I have a feeling you'll love it, GC! Especially since you have a thing for selkies...let's just say they make an appearance. :)

message 8: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

That's cool :)

message 9: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Just finished it an I have to say it's one of the best mermaid books I've read in a pretty long time. And, Garrett, even though you mentioned that selkies come into play, I was very surprised when they were revealed. I thought the book was a slow start-it took me a while to get halfway through-but once I hit the halfway point I read the rest in about and hour and a half. Overall it was a very refreshing mer/selkie book. I hope there will be a sequel although the books ending was satisfying for me.

message 10: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yep, I thought it was one of the better mermaid books, too. It was definitely unique, and the selkies were unique as well.

And yes, there will be a sequel! It's called Tempest Unleashed, and if you check out the author's blog, she's posting excerpts as teasers, and both of the teasers have been filled with mermaidly goodness!

message 11: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments So, Garrett and Emily. I have bought it. Your reviews were convincing.

message 12: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ooh, I'm looking forward to your review, Olivia - I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

message 13: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Shoulda stopped at a closing Borders today for it :(

message 14: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Garrett wrote: "Ooh, I'm looking forward to your review, Olivia - I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!"

Ehhh. No, I didn't. So. I plan do do a giveaway for my paperback copy and will post it here, too.

message 15: by oliviasbooks (last edited Aug 16, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments International "I-Dare-You-to-Want-To-Read-It-In-Spite-Of-My-Review" Mermaid Book Givaway:

Leave a comment on my profile page or at my review concerning why you want to win and read my new paperback copy of Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs . I will let an internet program randomly choose a winner on Augst 31st 2011.

message 16: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (mksheppard) | 39 comments It started out okay, but I ended up being left ultimately unsatisfied for several reasons:

First, Can we please not have Love Triangles [tm] in our books? Just because Twilight had that, doesn't mean your book should.

Second, Tracy Deebs spent a lot of time writing about how angry Tempest was about being half mermaid, specifically her anger over how her mother abandoned her family six years ago...yet Tempest doesn't really behave in a manner consistent with that anger.

(ref, her actions with Tall Dark Stranger Who Is At Home Amongst The Waves [tm] and after reading her mother's final letter at the ending).

Thirdly, the way Tempest treated her boyfriend Mark throughout the book. As a reviewer on Amazon.com put it:

"At one point I was hoping that the author was going to reveal some major flaw of Mark's; like maybe he hits her, or cheats on her, or finds out that she is part mermaid and sees her as a freak, something to justify her mean behavior towards him. Unfortunately none of those things happen. He truly does care for her, puts up with her mood swings, and buys her a beautiful birthday gift."

message 17: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I suppose Tempest is the name then, eh?

message 18: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Yes - she is named conveniently, since the name features in an old prophecy - which her mother must have known previously. Her bothers are called Moku and Rio. Dooesn't fit together in my opinion.

message 19: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

So this was a pretty good book :) I enjoyed it, but probably not as much as Garrett did. I Didn't like the love triangle and all the rage and angst either, but the action sequences were cool, and so were the selkies.
ALthough if I do say something, this had a crappy ending :( But they're making another one, so we'll probably get some resolve.

message 20: by Garrett (last edited Sep 12, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) It's true. I did really, really love it. So far, it looks like the sequel is going to be even better. The author's blog has some sneak peeks, and I gotta say, it looks pretty epic with the fight scenes.
Although, for you love triangle haters out there, it looks like we might get another one in this book with a merman named Sabyn. Maybe a love square, if Mark ends up still being part of the story...

message 21: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

*secretly hates Mark with a burning passion*

message 22: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Well four people divides into two couples, does it not? *ducks and out*

message 23: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Sep 13, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Ugh. Another love triangle...and yet I will still read it because I liked the first (but I liked Ripple better...)

Are you going to be involved in her "Splash Team" Garrett?

message 24: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I sent her an email about joining it but haven't heard back yet. I hope so! :D

message 25: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments I don't have a problem with love triangles. As long as each character has something going for them. Other than being hot. That's the issue I have.

I have this book, but it's still in my TBR pile.

message 26: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I don't really have a love triangle, either. But I love the ones where the character really is torn between the two peeps, instead of ones that were obvious who they'd choose from the get-go. (Sookie/Bill/Eric = GOOD. Bella, Edward, Jacob = BAD.) :D

message 27: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I think a love square is necessary at some point. Or even an hexagon. Or an octagon. That'd be something to see.

message 28: by Howard (last edited Oct 05, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Ryan wrote: "It started out okay, but I ended up being left ultimately unsatisfied for several reasons:

First, Can we please not have Love Triangles [tm] in our books? Just because Twilight had that, doesn't..."

Overall, it was a pretty good read though there were some flaws. The biggest one is that the author did a great job of visualising the So. California locale but dropped the ball later on in the alternate reality of "Selkie Land". The whole setting seemed geared towards "tweens" rather than YA's.

Then there was the ongoing obsession with royalty. The title of "Clan Chief" would have suited Kona's parents more than the King & Queen bit. A mansion would have suited Kona's situation more than the obviously fairy-tale kind of castle. Again, more geared towards "tweens" than YA's. Kona's family could still have been as rich as Croesus.

Once Tempest returns home, the author regains her footing and things become more believable.

There has been much discussion of Tempest's treatment of Mark. Having a pretty good memory of being that age, I can attest that those sort of situations are fairly common. Mark finally decides to move on though it seems more like the relationship has run its course than being fed up with Tempest.

Finally, there is Tempest's decision to go live with her mother's people. In some respects Tempest is worse than her mother; at least Mom left everyone a letter. Tempest & Kona simply hit the road without any good-byes on indication of when she will return - if ever.

While there are dangling threads - some are necessary in order for there to be a sequel - there were too many with no apparent chance of being resolved. What happens when her brothers reach the age of 17? Mer-land is decidedly gyno-centric; does Tempest campaign for equal rights for mermen? Does Tempest ever finish her education? What happens to Tempest's father? If her brothers decide that tails are better than legs, then he is seemingly left childless and alone on the beach. Bummer!

As for the romantic element, one or two love triangles can make for an interesting tale but I hope that the author does not make a habit of it. Formulaic sequels rapidly lose interest with me. The kissing scenes are a bit over the top though I am quite sure that legions of YA females have every word of them memorised by now.

I still enjoyed the book and plan to read the next one in the series with the hope that the author will hit her stride and take care of some of these unresolved issues.

message 29: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I agree with you there. I feel there could've been so much more poured into the mer world.

message 30: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (mksheppard) | 39 comments The talk about the speed of romantic relationships in the Mermaid Survey discussion made me immediately think of the Tempest/Mark/Kona love triangle in Tempest Rising.

While Howard is correct that teenage relationships can and do end abruptly; there are several aspects of Tempest's relationship triangle that irritate me:

1.) Kona gives Tempest the the silent treatment on: A). What's happening to her and B). The Story Behind Her Mother whenever she presses him for more information. It's blatantly obvious to both Tempest and us, the reader that Kona knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Why would Tempest, who is so angry about her mother abandoning her and leaving her with no information at all; fall for someone who tells her nothing at all?

2.) Naturally, this is written around by having Tempest feeling constantly cold, and her skin being so sensitive that when someone touches her, it's painful. But when she's with Kona, she feels warm, and his touch isn't painful.

Way to stack the decks against the 'normal' guy, here. *sad*

3.) Finally, here's the kicker. Eventually, Kona finally reveals under questioning that he has worked for Tempest's mother for quite some time, and that Tempest's mother specifically sent him ashore to find her.

At that point; alarm bells would be going off left and right in my head, and the little voice in my head would be screaming "I don't care if his touch is pleasureable and his kisses are mindblowing, EJECT EJECT EJECT!" given that he explictly links himself to Tempest's mother, and one of the few constants that I really liked in the book was Tempest's anger at her mother.

It just felt just too contrived as a whole for me to take seriously.

PS: The math shown in the book doesn't add up as well -- towards the end, Tempest swims about 1,000 miles in 40 hours. (Both figures are explictly said). That's an average speed of 21 knots if my math is right.

The top speed of a dolphin, which has a much better hydrodynamic shape than a mermaid, is around 12 knots (they can do short bursts of 20 knots before a high jump) and they cruise at 4~ knots over long distances.

message 31: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Never thought about the milage there, that's quite impressive, but we do have to use a little suspension of disbelief at that point.
However, on the love triange, I agree, it's very unbalanced. There's really no chance for Mark the moment Kona steps in. It's more like a right sided triangle really.

message 32: by Howard (last edited Jun 13, 2012 12:46PM) (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Regarding the cruising speed of mermaids, I've seen this sort of thing in several other books. I really wish that authors would work towards "plausible believablity". OK, yes it is a fantasy but there needs to be a good bit of grounding in the real world. Otherwise, it's just an outlandish fairy-tail. (Pun Intended)

With regard to the love triangle, Tempest states early on in her narrative that her relationship w/ Mark has been on & off for a long time. She's under pressure because of the 17th birthday thing which foreshadows another "off" period in their relationship. Kona surfs in and there you have it. Besides, what is Tempest going to say to Mark? "BTW, sweetheart, I'm going to turn into a mermaid for my 17th birthday. You OK with that?"

message 33: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I finished Tempest Unleashed, the sequel, yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. It definitely makes up for the lack of mermaid action in the first one, as it's almost entirely set underwater. The first hundred-odd pages are all mermaid and undersea action. And we also get a lot more supernatural sea creatures besides mermaids, selkies, and sea witches in this one. If you didn't like the first one, and the main reason was because of hardly any mermaid scenes, I strongly advise giving the series another try, because this one definitely meets and exceeds the mermaid quota.

message 34: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Yeah, we should probably have paid more attention to the titles. It looks like Tempest Rising was the crescendo and that Tempest Unleased is going to be the forte', if you will.

message 35: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Garrett wrote: "I finished Tempest Unleashed, the sequel, yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. It definitely makes up for the lack of mermaid action in the first one, as it's almost entirely set underwater. The f..."

Garrett,
Thanks for the brief overview of "Unleashed". I've got about 3 in my queue before I can get to this one. I'm looking at late July or early Aug.

Howard

message 36: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) GC, yeah, this one definitely unleashes its mermaid action on us. I've also heard via the author's FB page that the third book is called Tempest Revealed. I've also heard something about a series of Tempest mini-ebooks.
Howard, hope you enjoy it as much as I did-I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. :)

message 37: by Howard (last edited Jun 17, 2012 12:12PM) (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Garrett wrote: "GC, yeah, this one definitely unleashes its mermaid action on us. I've also heard via the author's FB page that the third book is called Tempest Revealed. I've also heard something about a series o..."

Garrett,
Judging by your comments, I doubt that I'll be disappointed. Actually, I liked the first one. I just thought that it had deficiencies in some areas.

message 38: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Garrett wrote: "GC, yeah, this one definitely unleashes its mermaid action on us. I've also heard via the author's FB page that the third book is called Tempest Revealed. I've also heard something about a series o..."

Garrett,
You were most certainly right; Unleashed is a much better book than Rising. It seems that Tracy has made a 90-degree turn with her thinking in the series. With Rising, it could have been the 1st & last book in the series and I wouldn't have minded a bit. With Unleashed, I am eagerly anticipating the third book.

message 39: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Howard wrote: "Garrett wrote: "GC, yeah, this one definitely unleashes its mermaid action on us. I've also heard via the author's FB page that the third book is called Tempest Revealed. I've also heard something ..."

That's exactly how I feel, Howard. I wish the first book had incorporated some of what made Unleashed so awesome, but the second book really does make up for what the first book was lacking in.

message 40: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Garrett,
Now we get to sit around until next year or later trying to guess the plot-line for Revealed:
1. Mark vs Kona - Who finally wins? I don't think that we've heard the last of Kona. (Kinda rooting for Mark as I've been in that sort of spot before.)
2. Does Tempest take over leadership of her clan?
3. Does Rio ever get his act together? What's going to happen when he turns 17?
4. If Mark is ultimately the winner & Tempest is in charge of the clan, what are they going to do about living arrangements? It's an awfully long commute between CA & Coral Straights.
5. What happens to her father in the end? There's the potential for Tempest's brothers to both choose the life aquatic as well.

I could go on & on. There are too many dangling threads - I think - to be resolved in one book. Perhaps the potential mini e-books are the venue for those left-over bits.

My review will be up in a few days.

message 41: by Garrett (last edited Jul 25, 2012 05:06PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Howard wrote: "Garrett,
Now we get to sit around until next year or later trying to guess the plot-line for Revealed:
1. Mark vs Kona - Who finally wins? I don't think that we've heard the last of Kona. (Kinda ro..."

I so agree with you, Howard! I'm eagerly anticipating to see how this whole story plays out.
1. Personally, I believe Mark should end up with Tempest. He understands her, he represents that human part of her that she so desperately wants to hold onto, and they've been a couple, and friends before that, for most of their lives. So Kona just shows up and she automatically forgets her history with Mark? Typical ending for a YA book, I just hope this series overcomes that. And Mark might get jealous of Kona, but not overtly so, and I can relate with that. Once again, that's what makes Mark human. To be honest, Kona can be a little too creepy. Mysterious stranger on the beach, being four hundred years older than Tempest, etc.
2. I wondered that about Tempest, too. Maybe there's some ultimatum she can reach with living with her family and protecting her people. Then again, isn't there an island above the mermaid kingdom? Couldn't her family just live there?
3. Rio actually started to piss me off in the book. Yes, he was feeling abandoned, and he's still just a kid and probably can't process everything going on. But some of the ways in which he acted really wasn't necessary. He should have been strong for his father and Moku instead of acting like a brat toward Tempest. Maybe I'm just not seeing things from his perspective.
4. Well, I guess my number 2 kind of answers this. I mean, Mark's almost eighteen. Then he can make his own decisions about where and with whom he wants to spend his life.
5. My number 2 also answers this one. They could live on an island. Imagine living in paradise populated with mermaids. Maybe her father could try and move on as well? And if his sons chose the life aquatic, it wouldn't be as bad. They could just come and go.

Well, those are my theories. I really hope they get answered. And maybe the final book will include an epilogue that tells how the characters ended up, what her brothers chose, etc. And then there's the mini-books to sum it up as well.

That reminds me, I still have not written my review for the book, and that was over a month ago. Maybe I can make a review out of my theories listed above.

message 42: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Garrett,
I took your thoughts under consideration and looked at it as a writer rather than a reader. Here's what I came up with:
1. Advantage - Mark. Kona is basically the selkie next door. From a plot development standpoint there's not much that you can do with that. Mark on the other hand is all the way back in CA and ther's a LOT that an author can do with that situation.

2. Advantage - Queendom. While Tempest could vanquish Tiamat, pack her bags and swim home to Mark, that idea is too simple & does little for an interesting plot. It also puts the kibosh on ideas for mini e-books.

3. Advantage - Rio cleaning up his act. There's much more that can be done with Rio getting his head straight than having him stay a mad-at-the-world goth & going on to a career in gothdom.

4. Advantage - Mark relocating. If Kona wins, Selkie land is just over the metaphoric hill & that patch has already been explored in Rising. There is much, much more potential plot material in having him move to where Tempest is.

5. A toss-up. This could go either way from the standpoint of a plot line.

I was able to come up with quick sketch of what could happen w/ Mark if 1,2, & 4 were put into effect. It looks quite interesting, actually. I'd post it here but I've never been crazy about fan fiction; Especially my own.

On another subject; is there any way that I could contact you outside of this forum? I ran across something that would make a good review to use on the Merblog and I don't want to contribute to topic drift here.

HP

message 43: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Howard wrote: "Garrett,
I took your thoughts under consideration and looked at it as a writer rather than a reader. Here's what I came up with:
1. Advantage - Mark. Kona is basically the selkie next door. Fro..."

Sure! My email address is raptorfan4194@yahoo.com.
And those are all very good suggestions. I agree with all of them. I do, however, feel that Tempest might vanquish Tiamat in the final book. I would prefer it, actually. That's also because I'm thinking of those who might not be capable of purchasing the e-books. I wouldn't want the physical copy of the book to be unfinished, the actual vanquish happening in a format I couldn't access. (I'll use the last Vampire Academy book as an example. So many loose ends were left...well, loose...because the author was starting a spin-off series. I felt like that was a shoddy way of ending the VA series, just in case some people didn't want to read the spin-off series, they still got a satisfying conclusion to the series.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you about the Merblog review!

message 44: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Garrett wrote: "Howard wrote: "Garrett,
1. Advantage - Mark. Kona is basically the selkie..."

They did that thing with not trying everything up completely with the Percy Jackson series as well. And while that particular series is not my most favorite, it would've been nice to see a tight ending on it so I didn't have to go read the companion series.