Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Writing Tips

Comments Showing 1-50 of 466 (466 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments Do you have any writing tips that you think it wise to let other people know about? Well, share away!

message 2: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
Tip: Don't compare yourself to other people. Okay... scratch that. Comparing helps you get better. What I meant to say was not to compare yourself and then get discouraged. Yes. Everybody writes differently and has a different style and some people have more experience than others, etc.

message 3: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break.

message 4: by Elliott (new)

Agreed.

message 5: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Punk Rock Princess (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Tip: Don't compare yourself to other people. Okay... scratch that. Comparing helps you get better. What I meant to say was not to compare yourself and then get discouraged. Yes. Everybody writes di..."

I wrote a blog post about this.

Ah hemm :)

message 6: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Autumn wrote: "Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break."

Yeahhh, as long as it doesn't make you lazy. I've been taking a "break" for like five months. Oops. O_o

message 7: by Elliott (new)

I think I shall read it!

message 8: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Huzzah!

message 9: by Autumn (last edited Dec 29, 2010 04:51PM) (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break."

Yeahhh, as long as it doesn't make you lazy. I've been taking a "break" for like five months. Oops. O_o"

*laughs slightly* Oopsie daisies.

message 10: by Elliott (new)

That's super awesome! It's like you took my thoughts and threw them out onto a page! In your own words of course. And your own thoughts. But you get what I mean.

message 11: by Kyle (new)

Kyle T (kyletee) | 75 comments well the long break isn't always a bad thing!! I took a reallyyyy long one...but I've started to write again which feels great :D!

message 12: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break."

Yeahhh, as long as it doesn't make you lazy. I've been taking a "break" for like five months. Oops. O_o"

Same, excluding NaNo.

message 13: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Punk Rock Princess (Lavendarlol) wrote: "That's super awesome! It's like you took my thoughts and threw them out onto a page! In your own words of course. And your own thoughts. But you get what I mean."

haha thanks :D

message 14: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Kriss wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break."

Same, exc..."

Oh yeah. I did NaNo but … it was terrible.

message 15: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Kriss wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break."

Same, exc..."

I did that. With DecNo. 'Cause I'm too lame for NaNo. And it's not going so great.

message 16: by Kriss (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Kriss wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Tip: Sometimes it's good to take a break."

..."

I seriously doubt it was terrible... Btw, our NaNo's where set in the same year xD or like two years off, I can't remember.

message 17: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Kriss wrote: "I seriously doubt it was terrible... Btw, our NaNo's where set in the same year xD or like two years off, I can't remember. "

Ummm it really was. I felt no connection to my main character, nothing happened in it, it was boring as heck … >_< Wow, really? That's creepy. haha. XD

message 18: by Kriss (new)

Ah-- I still doubt it was terrible. Just not your best? ... and I know o.o ... it's funny to see how different we made the future XD

message 19: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Eh, I dunno. It was terrible by my standards. I don't know if it would be terrible by everyone else's standards. That is rather strange, since I chose a completely random year. :P haha yupp

message 20: by Kriss (new)

I'm still sure that most of us would adore it. And I chose a random year too XD that's so weird... and I think I'd rather go with your future o.o mine is screwed up beyond reason.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Tip: DON'T DELETE ANYTHING!

I know, I've never been against it before, but the other day I was looking for something I wrote because I wanted to use a name from a story that basically sucked, and all I can remember is that the name was really awesome. BUT I DELETED THE STORY AND NOW THE NAME IS LOST.

message 22: by Kriss (new)

Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "I'm still sure that most of us would adore it. And I chose a random year too XD that's so weird... and I think I'd rather go with your future o.o mine is screwed up beyond reason."
I..."

It wasn't really all that more comforting, as far as I know.

message 23: by Kriss (new)

Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "I'm still sure that most of us would adore it. And I chose a random year too XD that's so weird... and I think I'd rather go with your future o.o mine is..."

Why do you say "crap"?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley] wrote: "Tip: DON'T DELETE ANYTHING!

I know, I've never been against it before, but the other day I was looking for something I wrote because I wanted to use a name from a story that basically sucked, an..."

Ah. Sella and I had a fantastic debate about this.

A long time ago, I deleted some of my stories from two years back. I deleted *counts* at least seven of my oldest stories, and I only slightly--very slightly--regret deleting one or two.

But that's just me. Everyone is different about their old stories.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "I'm still sure that most of us would adore it. And I chose a random year too XD that's so weird... and I think I'd rather go with your future o.o mine is..."

"Megaliciously". I feel honored that my name was used in the same sentence as this magical word.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley] wrote: "Tip: DON'T DELETE ANYTHING!

I know, I've never been against it before, but the other day I was looking for something I wrote because I wanted to use a name from ..."

Okay, so some of my stories were to painful to not delete. But at least make a list of the parts that aren't so horrible and keep them in case you might want to use them.

message 27: by Kriss (new)

Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Rebekka wrote: "Kriss wrote: "I'm still sure that most of us would adore it. And I chose a random year too XD that's so weird... and I think I'd rather g..."

Ah. Kind of a pointless hope. We tend to repeat ourselves.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Maxy wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley] wrote: "Tip: DON'T DELETE ANYTHING!

I know, I've never been against it before, but the other day I was looking for something I wrote because I wanted to u..."

*nods*

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Maxy wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley] wrote: "Tip: DON'T DELETE ANYTHING!

I know, I've never been against it before, but the other day I was lo..."

You see my logic, yes?

message 30: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
I'm not OCD!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a little bit obsessive-compulsive. You're talking to the girl who straightened out every single chair when she had extra time before choir started.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Rebekka wrote: "Juliet wrote: "I'm not OCD!"
Yeah, but you have Fred as an avatar... which is twice as bad."

That's Charlie. Not Fred.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THAT CHARLIE LOOKS LIKE FRED?!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "I'm a little bit obsessive-compulsive. You're talking to the girl who straightened out every single chair when she had extra time before choir started."

Heheheh. *shifty eyes*

message 35: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod

I can't even comment on this. You make me upset now.

message 36: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

That. Is. Not. Fred.

How dare you.

message 37: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Tip: Write. Thinking about writing will give you some ideas, but it won't write you a novel.

message 38: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Word.

message 39: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Did I hear the name Fred? As in youtube dude Fred? Ewwwwww.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments I hate him. He bugs me.

message 41: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Me too. It's like, big deal. You sped up your voice and you run around screaming and you have a weird face. Woop dee doo. >_<

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I think there are much more annoying things on YouTube.

message 43: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

For sure. But … he's still highly overrated.

message 44: by Elliott (new)

Tip: Never fall in love with a fictional character and get all messed up with reality so your brain stops functioning in the real world. It's not very fun at all.

message 45: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Tell me about it. o_o

message 46: by Kriss (new)

I know this feeling. Way to well.

Plus, if you fall in love with a fictional character, it makes all real life guys seem absolutely... not good enough. *dies*

message 47: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Kriss wrote: "I know this feeling. Way to well.

Plus, if you fall in love with a fictional character, it makes all real life guys seem absolutely... not good enough. *dies*"

It does.

message 48: by Kriss (new)

Autumn wrote: "Kriss wrote: "I know this feeling. Way to well.

Plus, if you fall in love with a fictional character, it makes all real life guys seem absolutely... not good enough. *dies*"

It does."

And then you go "Oh crap", because you wouldn't be compatible with the fictional character anyways if he was real and would spend your life chasing after someone who wouldn't/doesn't/can't love.

;__; *cries*

message 49: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Yeah. It can't be described. It just blows.

message 50: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Kriss wrote: "I know this feeling. Way to well.

True dat.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.