100 books in 2011 discussion

book stuff > Kindle vs Sony e reader

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katoof (new)

Katoof | 154 comments Mod
Hi guys, I am tempted to get a electronic reading device but have only had a go on the kindle. I was very impressed by the kindle but wanted some advice, will I use it long term or will I go back to proper books? Have any of you used both the sony and the kindle, if so what one do you prefer?

Any advice gladly received

message 2: by Bianca (new)

Bianca van Willigenburg (biancavw) I've got a Sony for just over a year and love it. I try only to read ebooks now because p(aper)books are too cumbersome; they don't stay on the right page, they're bigger and heavier than an ereader(especially if you like long books), etc.

Don't know about the Kindle, you do need to keep in mind that you have to buy most of you're books through Amazon. The Sony reads lots of formats, though I advice to stick to ePub.

Also, most ebooks have DRM, in other words you don't own them like a pbook but you borrow them. You can often copy them from one place to another a limited number of times and can't lend them out to anyone else. There are, of course, ways to "liberate" ebooks, some formats are easier to liberate than others.

If you want some advice I can recomment the MobileRead forums.

message 3: by J. Rosemary (new)

J. Rosemary Moss (jrosemarymoss) | 45 comments I love my Kindle. I'm not planning on buying any more paper books, for the same reasons Bianca mentioned.

I don't mind buying most of my stuff from the Amazon store. And there is a way to load pdf's docs and e-books you buy elsewhere onto your Kindle--I haven't tried it, but check Amazon's Kindle page for instructions and details.

Sadly, I can't offer a comparison to any other e-book--I've never had anything but the Kindle!

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci | 31 comments I just got a nook for christmas! OMG I love it... I picked the Nook for the "lend me" feature cuz kindle doenst have that yet... I went back and forth for a bit but ultimately I wanted it to be more like what I already do.. and I share books.

message 5: by Katoof (new)

Katoof | 154 comments Mod
Yeah the screen on the kindle is amazing, I believe the sony e reader has the same screen, its lust like paper and no light.

message 6: by LaShonta (new)

LaShonta (punkin8779) | 28 comments I have a Kindle as well and love it. You can load other forms to kindle and kindle also has a free service that formats anything you buy into a kindle format. I've used it several times when I buy a book that's not in the kindle store. Some sites like total e-bound will send the book straight to your kindle now. I haven't tried that yet.

message 7: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Coffey (megthered) I have a Nook and love it. I got it for my birthday in the summer and have read it everywhere, indoors and out. I have about 700 ebooks in my library, but I keep 20 on the Nook. I use the Calibre ebook management software on both of my laptop pc's and when I finish a book I just put it back into my library and add another. I love my Nook.

message 8: by Nicoletta (new)

Nicoletta Daum (daum9812) I have a sony ereader and it’s amazing but I still prefer owning the actual book. Its very convenient for traveling and school though.

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 28 comments I had a Kindle 2, and now I have a Sony PRS-350. The Sony supports ebooks from the public library, which I've been making good use of. In 2010, I read 105 books; 95 were ebooks. I love them. Lightweight, easy to read while eating or lying down, no more searching around around my seat for where my bookmark's gotten off to....

message 10: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I have the new touch screen Sony Reader (PRS 600) which I just got for Christmas. I love it and I would give it 5 stars however there are some things I wish the Sony had. I would love if the Sony had a lending feature (like the Nook) and wireless internet like (the Kindle). The Sony is really easy to use. I often have trouble with technology but the Sony was no problem. You simply drag and drop your eBooks to the Reader, and that's it. I also love that you can borrow book from the library and read all kinds of book formats.

message 11: by Misty (new)

Misty Vauble (mistyd107) would be lost with out my K2 I have a very difficult time reading paper books now they seem to take me forever now

message 12: by Daria (new)

Daria (dariadeptula) I'm considering getting a Nook, but even if I do, I will never stop buying and reading paper books. I love buying books!

message 13: by Rayna (new)

Rayna isa i have the aluratek and the sony ereader PRS-650 and i love my sony so much the only time i buy paper now is all those series that i have to complete before i bought the ereader. i wouldnt trade it for anything! Oh and it has a case cover that has a light in it so i can read in bed and not bother the hubby! perfect! I reccomend the sony PRS-650 to anyone....and it supports all efiles!

message 14: by Rayna (new)

Rayna ill share it with you...i have it pdf....send me a private message with your email and i will email you the file

message 15: by Rayna (new)

Rayna no worries any time :)

message 16: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbycagle) I just got a Kindle for Christams and I love it. But I also still love paper books and still going to read them. I just love to read.

message 17: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette (lhopwood) | 23 comments I bought a Nook when they dropped the price in the summer. I love it! My un-tech mom played with mine for a bit, and asked for one for Christmas. She is having a blast! At the library we tested several different kinds, and we purchased the Sony for lending out to patrons. I wish we would have chosen the Nook. It seems to me that it is easier for non-tech people to download from the library's catalog.

message 18: by JSWolf (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:04AM) (new)

JSWolf | 2 comments The 650 uses the same Pearl eink screen that the K3 uses. So that's not an issue. But, the 650 is a touch screen and works very well. Also, the 650 is compatible with ePub you might be able to borrow from your local public library. The K3 is not compatible and you cannot borrow any library eBooks for use with a K3.

Also, you don't have to buy eBooks at any one store. For example, I bought an eBook at Kobo yesterday and had a 25% off code that Iw as able to use. At Amazon, I would have paid $5.00. At Kobo, I paid $3.75.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy (celesi) | 2 comments I have the sony reader and I love the device. However, I recommend using calibre or some other software to load your books. I've had to reinstall the Sony software once a month since I got my device last year, and this month, it refuses to load at all.

I've used the Kindle, and it functions very similarly to the Sony, but I didn't care for the keypad at the bottom. I enjoy just having simple buttons like home, bookmark, and turn the page.

Good luck making your decision!