Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Researchers assert that parents who are too strict or too indulgent tend to binge drink more than peers...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.npr.org/2010/12/27/1322888...

"Researchers at Brigham Young University have found that teenagers who grow up with parents who are either too strict or too indulgent tend to binge drink more than their peers."

Comments?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments I don't much trust studies from BYU.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would tend to agree with Phil. There's some pretty heavy social bias there.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments "Too strict" and "too indulgent" sound more like opinions than scientific measurements. And the topic seems to be saying that it's the parents who are binge drinking.

message 5: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Yeah I read it as the parents are binge drinking and I was gonna be all "AND HOW!"

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Same here.

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i was going to say my parents don't binge drink more than their peers so they must be good parents, but now i see that's not what the researchers are saying.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Could be a good premise for another study.

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments you'd say not binge drinking is a good parenting quality, but you never know.

message 10: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 02, 2011 03:08PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments From what I observed, growing up in the 1970s, binge drinking was, generally speaking, not such a great quality in parents--although other people might bring a different perspective to this question.