Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Try To Remember Shomeret's September Reads 3/3

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1391 comments 9)The Merry Misogynistby Colin Cotterill (mystery) 274 pages. Source: Library Started: 9/26 Finished: 9/27

Why Read: This is the sixth Dr. Siri novel, a series that began with the amazing, The Coroner's Lunch. So far none of the sequels has equalled the first book. I keep on hoping that there will be one that will. This isn't a good candidate. I don't like the title which actually reflects the formula plot. It's about a serial killer of women. Now where have I seen that before? It's more like where haven't I seen it?

Comments: There was a surprise that I didn't see coming, but I didn't enjoy the book. It was a nasty case. The best part was a Thai cultural phenomenon. Rating C+

10)Jasper Mountainby Kathy Steffen(historical fiction)386 pages. Source: Library Started: 9/27 Finished: 9/29

Why Read: I saw this advertised on GR. It takes place in a 19th century mining town and has a gypsy protagonist. I love gypsies.

Comments: There were labor problems in the mine, women who find choices for themselves and refuse to be victims and a slight taste of gypsy culture. This is my idea of a good read. There's drama, important issues and romance. Rating B+

11)The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novelby Diana Gabaldon (graphic novel) 132 pages. Source: Comic Bookstore Started: 9/29 Finished: 9/30

Why Read: I'm not really an Outlander fan, but that's mainly because I don't think the books should be so long. I love the MCs Jamie and Claire and this is how their story began from a different perspective. I knew there couldn't be a graphic novel of a 1000 pages, so I figured I'd like it better than an Outlander novel.

Comments: Well, I didn't like it better because it lacked intensity. Some of the strongest elements in the book were evidently removed. I'm rating this C- Gabaldon discusses how the adaptation was constructed in her The Making of the Exile.

I'm happy that I read more than ten books in September and so many of were good reads. I even had a fantasy novel that is a top ten list candidate.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1229 comments Thanks for taking the time and updating your September reads, Shom. You did have a great month. I've had This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All loaded on my MP3 player for months but have not gotten around to it. Like you, I also really enjoyed Sweeping Up Glass and I need to check out the books of Eliot Pattison soon.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14986 comments Shomeret:
You had a very good collection of books in September. thanks for sharing them!
I ran out of time with the library and my first attempt at a Colin Cotterill book, Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr. Siri Investigation Set in Laos. I hope to try again soon. Perhaps I should try The Coroner's Lunch.
Shomeret wrote: "9)The Merry Misogynistby Colin Cotterill Why Read: This is the sixth Dr. Siri novel, a series that began with ..."