Stephen R. Lawhead discussion

Common reads --what and when?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner On one of our other threads, some of us have broached the idea of doing a (voluntary) group common read, maybe on a regular basis. The proposal of one every two months or so was mooted; but my suggestion would be to try one and see how popular and successful it turns out to be before we commit to to a regular schedule.

Most of the groups I'm in that do reads like this have a thread set aside where they can discuss whether and when to have one, and what to read. (Then other threads get started for each book that's read this way.) So, I thought I'd start this one, and give all the rest of you a chance to weigh in on the idea --whether or not you want to try it, and how you'd like to see us go about it.

For myself, if we decide to do this, April would be the first month I'd feel confident in planning to take part. Right now, I'm reading a 600+ page book; I'm waiting to receive a copy of a book by one of my Goodreads friends which I promised her I'd review, and one of my other groups will probably do a common read in March. (And that doesn't count other reading commitments!) Avalon is a Lawhead book that's been in my to-read pile for awhile, but I'm open to other choices, too!

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 62 comments Mod
I would definitely be up for a group read, especially with plenty of warning. I am actually planning to start Skin Map tonight.

I have not read Avalon but I think that is in the middle of the Pendragon Chronicles -- I would want to start from the beginning with Talisien since I read that more than 20 years ago.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner True, Avalon isn't the first of the Pendragon Chronicles. It's actually a concluding volume, sort of a coda, set in our time, in which Arthur has returned from Avalon to claim England's throne once more (which of course was prophesied in the legend). Since it's so far removed chronologically from the rest of the series, I thought it might have a bit of a stand-alone quality. But you have a point, JoLene, and Talisien would be a good choice, too.

Another Lawhead series I'm interested in is the Celtic Crusades. The first volume there is The Iron Lance, so that would be another title I'd recommend for a common read.

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner Well, we might try putting up a poll next month. (Would that be okay, Laura-Lee?) With as small a group as we have, the more people who can take part the better; so I'm interested in scheduling it at a time when I can plan to take part. It might actually work out for me if we do it in February. I'm making more rapid progress than I expected with The Host; but then I need to review a book by one of my Goodreads friends, and my review copy won't be mailed until next month. (How early in the month will be a decisive question. :-) )

message 5: by JoLene (new)

Doing a poll sounds great and maybe also poll about timing, since there are only a few of us in the group --- we definitely want to get some participation.

I didn't realize that Avalon has more of a stand-alone story so I would be up for that one as well. I need to re-read Taliesin at some point because I'd like to read the whole Pendragon chronicles. I also loved the Celtic Crusades trilogy so I can go back and peruse that as well :-D

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner JoLene, I just set up a poll about whether to do a common read, and about the timing, and invited everybody else in the group to vote on it. It's set up to run through Sunday, Jan. 9, so it'll be up for two weekends. After that, I figure we can run another poll to pick the book.

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner Michael, I'd also favor going with one of the older books. Not everybody owns, or wants to buy, the books picked for common reads; those who don't, but who want to participate, rely on libraries for access to the book. A lot of new books at libraries have loooong waiting lists, especially if the author is popular (as Lawhead is); and many libraries have policies against letting any of their new books go out on interlibrary loan. So older books are much easier to get ahold of.

message 8: by JoLene (new)

I agree with going with an older one as well. Skin Map was my first Kindle download but I still haven't read it because I hate having to wait 1 year for the next book in the series to come out :-D Plus, Lawhead has a pretty large and diverse body of work.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane (rock89) | 3 comments I am excited about a group read. I placed my vote, but will be happy with any outcome! 2 of the choices I hadn't read and 2 I have, but I am always up for re-reading a book a really enjoyed. I am new to goodreads and am a huge Lawhead fan....

message 10: by Werner (new)

Werner I guess Taliesin is the group's choice, with two out of four votes! The local public libraries don't have this one, so I'll see if I can get hold of a copy via interlibrary loan, and will plan to start on it by Feb. 1, along with the rest of you all. Happy reading!

message 11: by JoLene (new)

Hey everyone, I put Taliesin up as our group read so we look more official :-D
I also nominated Michael as the discussion leader (I'm such a great sister), but if someone else wants to volunteer, let me know (and I should check with him as well). We might want to break up the comments in the sections of the book so that we can avoid any spoilers if people are slower readers. I might get a late start due to having surgery on Jan 31.

message 12: by Werner (new)

Werner I placed my interlibrary loan request for Taliesin this afternoon. It should be here by Feb. 1 or earlier.

Re the possibility of spoilers, some groups that do common reads often use two discussion threads for the same read, a regular one and a spoiler thread. That's just a thought, of course.

message 13: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (kieloch) | 4 comments I can't make big promises since I'm writing my master's thesis but I will try to read this book with you all!

message 14: by Werner (new)

Werner Laura-Lee and I recently exchanged some personal messages discussing the idea of doing The Skin Map (Bright Empires, #1) by Stephen R. Lawhead as a common read in this group during the month of December. (I'll be reading it myself then anyway, as a buddy read with a Goodreads friend who's not in this group.) Would anyone else be interested in this idea?

message 15: by Banner (new)

Banner | 10 comments Werner, I've been wanting to start this book. Sounds good to me.

message 16: by Werner (new)

Werner Banner, that'll make at least three of us joining in!

message 17: by Adam (new)

Adam Collings (adamcollings) | 18 comments Hmmm. *maybe*.
I have been thinking I'd like to re-read The Skin Map before I read book 2 - but I don't yet have book 2.
The collective experience does sound like fun.

message 18: by Werner (new)

Werner Adam, the December target date would hopefully give you enough lead time to get access to the sequel. (Just a thought!)

message 19: by JoLene (new)

I might be up for that as well....Dec is a long way off in terms of my reading but I haven't had a Lawhead fix in a while. I think that the 3rd one should be coming out soon.

message 20: by Werner (new)

Werner I just finished posting a poll to gauge whether or not we want to do the Skin Map as a common read in December. My friend and I changed our schedule, and will actually be doing our buddy read this month; but the book will be fresh in my mind in December, and I'll be ready to chime in on the discussion!

message 21: by Werner (new)

Werner The poll is closed, the group has spoken, and we have four "yes" votes and zero no's! So we'll be doing a common read of The Skin Map in December. That should allow time for everybody who wants to participate to buy, beg or borrow a copy. :-)

I finished reading the book myself last night, and have reviewed it. I'm looking forward to joining in a vigorous conversation about it!

message 22: by Banner (new)

Banner | 10 comments I have the audio book of Skin Map ready to go,

message 23: by JoLene (new)

OK -- I'll bump it up on the list -- how long is it?? I have it on my Kindle.

I still have about 300 pages left in Clash of Kings which I'd like to finish this year :-(

message 24: by Werner (new)

Werner JoLene, sorry I didn't answer your question sooner! Print editions of The Skin Map run from 398-448 pages, depending on the size of the pages and the type (and on whether you count Lawhead's short afterword as part of the total). It flows pretty quickly; I read it in two weeks, and I only have limited free time for reading. (Many books will take me about twice as long to finish!)

message 25: by JoLene (new)

No worries, I'll cue it up next...... I have net read any Lawhead since our group read of Taleisin........of course, that was after about 2 years of reading most everything he wrote.

I was sort of waiting for more books in the series to be published since I tend to like to read fairly close together, otherwise I forget them before the next one comes out :-)

message 26: by Werner (last edited Nov 25, 2012 04:19PM) (new)

Werner JoLene, I've been assuming that the Bright Empires series is a trilogy. Do you know if it's supposed to continue beyond the third book, The Spirit Well (which came out earlier this year)?

message 27: by Adam (new)

Adam Collings (adamcollings) | 18 comments From memory, I think Stephen R. Lawhead said there was going to be 5 or 6 books in a video on his site. I'm sure It's going to be more than 3 though.

message 28: by Werner (new)

Werner Adam, you're absolutely right! Just now, I did some searching on Google. It turns out that Lawhead intends this to be a five-book series. The next two projected volumes, The Shadow Lamp and The Fatal Tree, are expected to be published in 2013 and 2014, respectively.