Jane Austen discussion

Did you get any Jane for Christmas?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan I didn't but my daughter received Pride and Prejudice, the graphic novel adapted by Nancy Butler and Hugo Petrus from a friend. It is pretty fun and I have added it to my Amazon wish list!

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) No, those are the kinds of gifts I usually have to get for myself! :-)

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) No, but I did enjoy looking at the Jane Austen journal and other things on the website. And it would be also like Martha, I would have to get this for myself.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Robin wrote: "No, but I did enjoy looking at the Jane Austen journal and other things on the website. And it would be also like Martha, I would have to get this for myself."

Heehee I gifted myself with my Jane but my sweet sister got me the Josephine Bonaparte series I've been wanting and another book I can't remember the title, Mr. Darcy's Decisionk maybe.

message 6: by Simerpreet (new)

Simerpreet I bought myself Emma and Sense & Sensibility!

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Simerpreet wrote: "I bought myself Emma and Sense & Sensibility!"

My first Jane Austen. Also the first movie version for me. I think I have every line memorized! Will this be your first time reading it?

Samantha McNulty Unfortunetly not, but I'm planning on buying a couple of P&P sequels I want to read in the coming days! A few extra gifts for myself for the new year!

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Unfortunately? Which sequels tempt you most? I've been reading alot of them lately but seem to only like the ones my Granny would approve of! One I'm really liking so far is Old Friends and New Fancies

message 10: by Simerpreet (new)

Simerpreet My first Jane Austen. Also the first movie version for me. I think I have every line memorized! Will this be your first time rea..."

I've read Pride & Prejudice in October and loveddd it. Every time I get some spare change I go and grab a book!!

Whats your favourite book?

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Simerpreet wrote: "My first Jane Austen. Also the first movie version for me. I think I have every line memorized! Will this be your first time rea..."

I've read Pride & Prejudice in October and loveddd it. Every ..."

Favorite Jane Austen? Well it keeps changing over the years. Right now it's Persuasion. Yours?

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I was going to get the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice the movi with Colin Firth. But decided against it.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Robin wrote: "I was going to get the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice the movi with Colin Firth. But decided against it."

I found that on vhs at a thrift store the other day for 99 cents and it still works! What a treat. Some days the maleness of the house (blood and guts video games and on the tv) gets to me so I burrow under cozy blankies on the couch in the living room with a mug of something comforting (like those Instant coffees, my new favorite is Peppermint mocha latte) and watch me some Jane Austen. All males except my little parakeet are forbidden to enter lest they are willing to face certain death! Hee hee.

message 14: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone Megan wrote: "I didn't but my daughter received Pride and Prejudice, the graphic novel adapted by Nancy Butler and Hugo Petrus from a friend. It is pretty fun and I have added it to my Amazon wish list!"

Thanks for the comment - I really want this one too! I did get a Barnes and Noble gift card and will probably use it on this one.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Leslie, I liked what you posted above about the 99 cents Pride and Prejudice vhs,. Anyway, I can always buy it later, didn't inquire how much it was at Borders, probably not anywhere 99 cents, though.

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I didn't get anything Jane Austen for Christmas, exept for the Sense and Sensibility movie with Hugh Grant in it... I'm not sure of the year, though, I don't keep track very well of that...

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Oh I have a copy of that one, it has Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson in it, as well as Allan Rickman. This is a good movie, I was going to watch it the other night, but didn't.

message 18: by Samantha McNulty (last edited Dec 26, 2010 06:57AM) (new)

Samantha McNulty Leslie wrote: "Unfortunately? Which sequels tempt you most? I've been reading alot of them lately but seem to only like the ones my Granny would approve of! One I'm really liking so far is Old Friends an..."</i>

Planning on purchasing [book:A Darcy Christmas
as I am desperate to read something P&P related!

Correction - have ordered it!

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) You can't go wrong with Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy!! I highly recommend the 95 version of P&P!!

message 20: by Anayeli (new)

Anayeli (WeirdGurl) | 2 comments Nothing :( But I did get a Barnes&Noble giftcard so I'll go get some Jane books with that!

message 21: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments No Austen for Christmas this year. I already have all 6 novels in hardcover and Emma Thompson's S&S and Colin Firth's P&P on DVD. As for the sequels or other related movies...I check them out of the library until I know they are worthy of my $$. The first time I watched the P&P miniseries it was the library's copy but then I decided I MUST have my own.

message 22: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (last edited Dec 26, 2010 11:24AM) (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
No, I didn't. But I did download the free Austen sequels e-books on her birthday--December 16-- so that's something.

Plus, I got a new laptop and a Blu-Ray Player, so I am NOT complaining! :)

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan Rachel: Santa was very good to you!!!! Enjoy!

message 24: by Kristen (last edited Dec 26, 2010 06:56PM) (new)

Kristen (kristenelise) | 10 comments Two copies of Jane Austen's Little Advice Book (repeat gift!), a Jane Austen journal, mug, note cards, pocket notepads, and team Darcy t-shirt. Lots of Austen this year- yaaaaaaaay!

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Kristen wrote: "Two copies of Jane Austen's Little Advice Book (repeat gift!), a Jane Austen journal, mug, note cards, pocket notepads, and team Darcy t-shirt. Lots of Austen this year- yaaaaaaaay!"

Wow Kristin I'm green eith envy over here! What a haul! Who loves you so much? I gotta get me a Team Darcy t-shirt.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenelise) | 10 comments My mother and cousin. :-) I'm the family Janeite, haha. My mom said she found the Jane Austen items at Barnes & Noble. The Darcy t-shirt is from the brand Novel-T.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Yay! I saw something similar at Janeite.com. Thanks for sharing now off i go to shop.

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenelise) | 10 comments Enjoy!!!

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Oh, yes! There is a new feature where you can gift ebooks now on the Kindle, so I included several of the continuations on my wish list. My Grandma bought me one of the books in the "Pemberley Chronicles" series by Rebecca Ann Collins and "Mansfield Park Revisited". Then with Christmas money, I purchased for myself "Captain Wentworth's Persuasion" and "Captain Wentworth's Diary". While not actually written by Jane, all of these books feature most beloved characters, so I'm looking forward to reading them. I already have two sets of my the JA novels on my Kindle and own all of the copies of the movies I actually enjoy, so I'm pretty happy.

message 30: by Magda (new)

Magda (magdalenica) | 1 comments Wow, in Italy there aren't any translation of the books you spoke! But I ordered by myself a copy of Jack and Alice that is just edited in Italy.

message 31: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 25 comments I received "Love and Freindship and Other Early Works" which I didn't have in my collection. I can't wait to read it!

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments I got Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels, and finished reading it last night! :)

message 33: by Jaid (new)

Jaid (goodreadscomjaiddragon) My brother got Pride and Prejudiced and Zombies but I am reading it first.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I didn't get any Austen, but I did get a gift card to Barnes and Nobels. I can now decide on my own what I want to get. Decisions, decisions???

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments lol

Don't you hate that?

message 36: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I got some money so maybe I will make a trip to Barnes and Noble since Borders doesn't have the books that I want.:)

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments No Austen this year but I got a lot of the free e-books on her birthday :)

message 38: by juliegoonie (new)

juliegoonie My dear husband bought Emma for me. I've never read Emma before, so I'm pretty excited to delve in to it! I bought the Pride & Prejudice '95 version....LOVE!

message 39: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 10 comments Pride and Prejudice came already uploaded on my Kobo ereader. Merry Christmas to me~! :)

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I got the Darcy Cousins, a sequel to The Other Mr Darcy. I also got a gift certificate and ordered book 2 and 3 after Mercy's Embrace. It is the story of Elizabeth Elliot. First one, very well written and very good wit. I also got a Jane Austen address book, but it is so tiny, I don't know if I can use it.
Happy New Year.

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan Happy New Year to you also! I have read all 3 of the Mercy's Embrace series and enjoyed them. Let us know what you think when you are done!

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Will do, Megan. I think the first one was very well done and hope to enjoy the next two.

message 43: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments Today I used some of my Christmas money for "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen." I saw it at Sam's Club and couldn't resist. I hope it is enjoyable to read.

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Shea wrote: "Today I used some of my Christmas money for "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen." I saw it at Sam's Club and couldn't resist. I hope it is enjoyable to read."

I loved that book! And I'm hard to please. I kept forgetting it was fiction!

message 45: by Abdz41 (new)

Abdz41 | 1 comments I bought myself (for Christmas) the new annotated P&P by Patricia May Spacks. I love reading anything that offers insight into the historical nature of P&P/Jane Austen times. This has been great so far. My husband also bought me the A&E Romance Collection DVD's which contains the Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle P&P (which I already had on Blu ray) and the 1994 version of Emma, which was not my favorite.

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I wandered into Borders and was going to get Pride and Prejudice the Colin Firth one, the 1995 version, but I thought I am going to be way too busy with my reading for various groups on goodreads. Someday, I will have my own copy. The Emma that is good is the Romola Garai the 2009 version. She also was in Daniel Deronda, she had a major role in that one as well.

message 47: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 13 comments I got the Jane Austen Action figure (not a book, I know, but still Austen) and Jane Austen for Dummies.

message 48: by Simerpreet (new)

Simerpreet Abigail wrote: "I got the Jane Austen Action figure (not a book, I know, but still Austen) and Jane Austen for Dummies."

An action figure????? That's soo cool!!!

message 49: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments Abigail wrote: "I got the Jane Austen Action figure (not a book, I know, but still Austen) and Jane Austen for Dummies."

I saw the "action figure" in a store on Mackinac Island and was SO tempted to buy one. I managed to refrain.

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan I have a Jane Austen action figure. She is awesome and sits on the shelf with all the books. Along with my "What would Jane do?" coffee mug....

« previous 1