Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > What's your 5 Star Book of 2010 that you read

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments I was curious to see if anyone wanted to share what they felt was the best book that they read in 2010....So my question would be...What's your 5 Star Book of 2010?...for me without a doubt it was The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Shadow of the Wind *****

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments My top vote would go to Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
I really enjoyed Shadow of the Wind when it came out. (And I really enjoyed Angel's Game, too.)

message 3: by Susan (last edited Dec 22, 2010 09:01PM) (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments The Children's Book

I loved The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt. I have always liked her writing, and I enjoy a long book with many complex characters. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Dead heat between Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson & Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments I loved Major Pettigrew. Oh, I forgot about The Breaking of Eggs by Jim Powell. That was outstanding!

The Breaking of Eggs: A Novel

message 6: by Susan (new)

message 7: by Jessica (last edited Dec 23, 2010 12:18PM) (new)

Jessica | 270 comments My top two would have to be Beat the Reaper and Rot & Ruin.

message 8: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments I just looked through my list and I think I have to say my top read of 2010 is The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell. The story just stayed with me for weeks.

message 9: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone My favorites this year were
1) Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

and

2) The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White (Bantam Classics) by Wilkie Collins

message 10: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy The Cardturner: A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker
by: Louis Sachar

The Thin Executioner
by: Darren Shan

message 11: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I think that mine has to go to...drumroll...
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Falk I'm also going to go with The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

But I also loved Three Sisters Island collection (Three Sisters Island trilogy #1-3) by Nora Roberts

message 13: by Simkine (new)

Simkine I don't give a lot of 5 stars to books. I like a lot of books but I keep 5 star for exceptional reads. I read 50 books in 2010 and only 3 books got 5 stars.

I would have to say my favorite was Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

Best_Served Cold

Just an all around excellent fantasy novel. Love, laughs, sorrow, blood, guts and glory!

message 14: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I have 6 books with 5★ out of the 59 I read this year... it's difficult to pick just one, but I think it has to be:

The Shining

I couldn't stop reading it, even though I was scared to death!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

It's rare for me to award a 5-star rating to a book. Of all the books on my Goodreads list, only two have gotten 5 stars. Maybe I should lower my standards. I'll just say that of all the books I read this year, the one I enjoyed the most was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But I'm not giving it 5 stars.

message 16: by Deborah (last edited Jan 02, 2011 11:45AM) (new)

Deborah | 598 comments I have to say my 5 star read for this year was...

The Help by Kathryn Stockett by Kathryn Stockett and coming in at a close second was...

1001 Nights in Iraq by Shant Kenderian by Shant Kenderian.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather My best this year were The Elegance of the Hedgehog, We Need to Talk About Kevin, and To Kill a Mockingbird. All excellent reads!

message 18: by Jill (new)

message 19: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 246 comments My 5* reads include The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and Three Cups of Tea One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson . They were both absolutely amazing reads.

Lillie

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth My 5 star read for 2010 was Flesh House by Stuart MacBride by Stuart Macbride. It was quite revolting but thoroughly and unbelieveably entertaining. Best read of the year imo

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments My favorite read for 2010 was The Help

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stie (michellestie-buckles) | 192 comments My favorite read for 2010 would be a toss-up between Frazen's Freedom and Marlantes' Matterhorn. I also loved The Help.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stie (michellestie-buckles) | 192 comments I also loved Elegance of a Hedgehog. It's such a stylishly written novel--every sentence was beautifully crafted.

message 24: by Rita (new)

Rita My favorites of 2010 were the Harry Potter series and The Help.

message 25: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Definitely the Hunger Games! Snuck it in as my last book of 2010 but loved it more than any others this year. This series was quite refreshing as it had been a long time since I read a book that truly caught my attention in the way this book did. I think I read the entire trilogy in 4 days and usually I'm not that avid a reader. I highly reccomend it to anyone that enjoys heart wrenching stories about dystopian societies.

message 26: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 07, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Suzanne Krueger | 54 comments Still Alice, Hunger Games and Woman in White Still Alice by Lisa Genova The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

message 27: by Stefanie (last edited Jan 07, 2011 08:46PM) (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 468 comments My top read for this year was definitely Gilligan's Wake: A Novel. I read a lot of good books this year, but that one really stuck with me.

message 28: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I can't decide which one I adored more but my three absolute favourites were One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, The Tenderness Of Wolves by Stef Penney and Horns by Joe Hill.

message 29: by Kimmier (last edited Jan 08, 2011 04:40AM) (new)

Kimmier | 17 comments Call me a stereotype but what I liked the most this year was:
The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

message 30: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (vickymarie) uh - i wanted to read "the help" - now i'm looking forward to it (if it ever will become available at the library that is...)
my highlight was:
The Vesuvius Club (Lucifer Box, #1) by Mark Gatiss
but i do give 5 stars quite often, especially if the book has some real creative / interesting ideas that i would not have expected.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments A Confederacy of Dunces A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole . My 2010 fave hands-down.

message 32: by Kate (last edited Feb 02, 2011 06:31AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Badlydone wrote: "My favorites this year were
1) Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

That book is one of my top 10 of all time!!!!

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments My favorite was Les Miserables--what a brilliant book!
My second favorite was The Swan Thieves.

Rose

message 34: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (omgreading) Post Office by Charles Bukowski

I didn't read too much last year, that wasn't a series, but yeah this would be it. I had read Ham On Rye at the end of 2009 and got another Bukowski book, and I guess the best thing about it for me, was I didn't know it would be Henry Chinaski again. That was fantastic, probably my favorite character in a book, and then come to find out actually reading about is books, Chinaski is a character in all of his novels. Wonderful. But yeah, that would be my pick for 2010.