Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

MY NAME IS WES AND IM A BOOKAHOLIC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) I OWN A USED BOOKSTORE BUT STILL FIND MYSELF BUYING BOOKS. I THINK I AM GOING CRAZY STARTING AND STOPING BOOKS. I HAVE A STACK OF BOOKS BY MY BED, BATHROOM, END TABLES, AND CAR. ALL STARTED AND SOME I CONTINUE SOME I SET ASIDE TIL I AM READY TO START AGAIN. I DON'T FORGET WHAT I HAVE READ SO I DON'T HAVE TO BACKTRACK BUT STILL IT IS KINDA NUTS.

CHECK OUT MY OTHER GROUP
"BOOK-AHOLICS"
http://www.amazon.com/shops/pricerigh...
MY STORE ON AMAZON

message 2: by Clayton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Clayton | 52 comments HI WES! I realized I was a bookaholic when I started using my stacks of harcover books AS nightstands. I had two three foot stacks on both sides of my bed. Thats TWELVE feet of books I had not yet read. I have since put a painful but necessary moritorium (sp?) on buying books and am proud to say I have only bought one (the new Harry Potter) in the last twelve months. So, I know what you mean about being a bit out of control. Still, there is nothing like wandering the stacks of a bookstore and making a new discovery.

message 3: by Darren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Darren | 42 comments Hi guys. Over the last couple of years my bookaholsim is getting worse. At the weekend I had 100 books at home that I haven't read yet. Then went to a fete and bought another 40!! At the rate I read it will probably take me a year to finish reading them, but I can see 100 books being my buffer and the number unread not dropping much below that.

message 4: by T.K. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

T.K. Kenyon | 15 comments My name is TK, and I am a bookaholic.

I went to BookExpo America this year and brought home a rollie bag full of nothing but free books, including books I might never read but very well might. (I've already surprised myself a couple times by reading and enjoying BEA books far out of my comfort, esp political comfort, zone.)

I have 100s of books that I have read but might read again. A couple years ago, I began indulging in rereading books. When I was a kid, I read the Little House series over 100 times, not to mention 20 or so times for Mr. Popper's Penguins. Last year, I reread Lolita (Nabakov,) American Psycho (Ellis,) the Harry Potter saga in prep for DH, a lot of Shakespeare/de Vere, and most of Jane Austen.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to reread a book. You're not in a rush to get to the end, so you can truly enjoy the ride.

TK Kenyon
Author of *RABID: A Novel*
"a genre-bending story, part thriller, part literary slapdown." --Booklist Starred Review

message 5: by Clayton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Clayton | 52 comments T.K., I know what you mean about the joy of rereading certain books. I reread Agatha Christie's autobiography once a year or so. It is like visiting an old friend.

message 6: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) i bought a bookstore about a year and a half ago with thousands of used books. I still impulse buy books on amazon if something strikes me as interesting. I mean you think i had enough in the store already. maybe 30,000 books total.

message 7: by Clayton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Clayton | 52 comments What a dream come true. Would love to take over a used bookstore with an inventory like that. Must have been great the first few weeks going through the inventory and discovering new treasures.

message 8: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Patrick Greeting comrades. I too am a bookaholic. I have about two thousand books in many genres, mostly non-fiction. Happiness and bliss for me is a used bookstore or a library sale. At this point I recognize that my collection exceeds my ability to read everything I have, and that maintaining the collection is a drain on my fincnance and other parts of my life, so I will be downsizing soon with cuts in those areas in which I am not quite so interested as I once was. I have tried to begin this process in the past but it was almost too painful. I am sure those who find themselves on thsi thread can relate.

Wes, congratulations to you on owning your own used bookstore. Is it fun owning a bookstore?

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My name is Ashley and I am a bookaholic. I realized I was a bookaholic when I started keeping a list of books I wanted to reading. I had like a 5-6 page long list of books I wanted to read. Fortunately I found GoodReads. I read 6 books in August...that's a record for me.

message 10: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Kim (kimbers81) Hello all I am Kim and I am a bookaholic this is my first BA meeting. I am addicted to Barnes and Noble and goodreads. I finnaly understand now how my husband feels about Cabelas. I could spend countless hours at BN looking through all the books all the while smelling the coffee they sell there. I find that I would rather be reading a book than watching tv. Also the purse I carry depends on the size of the book I am reading at the time.

message 11: by Clayton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Clayton | 52 comments Kim, I know what you mean. The smell of a Barnes and Noble feels like home. I have become so addicted to reading, I keep books in my car in case I find myself waiting for people I have to pick up or am early somewhere. (I will sometimes even purposely arrive someplace early just to have an excuse to read in the car.)I even went to far as to get digital cable so I can record some of my favorite shows to watch when I am between books.

message 12: by Alyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Alyn | 2 comments hello i'm alyn and like everyone else, i'm a bookaholic. i normally read 3 to 4 books at a time and you would find them lying around the house. i have another dozen or two all waiting to be read. but that doesn't stop me from buying more.... would be great to own a bookstore like wes, a lot of undiscovered treasures :p

message 13: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Patrick Any Borders fans out there? I agree with the general sentiment that BN stores seem to be more reader friendly if you're browsing, but in my opinion the selection and variety at a Borders is nearly always superior to a BN...

However, in all fairness to Wes as the originator of this thread, I would happily check out almost any used bookstore before going to a chain any day of the week! As Alyn said above, it's great to explore through undiscovered treasures.

message 14: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW AWESOME IT WAS AND STILL IS BECAUSE PEOPLE BRING ME TREASURES EVERYDAY. CHECK OUT THE LINK ON MY GROUP.
BOOK-AHOLICS

message 15: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) IT IS FUN OWNING A BOOKSTORE BUT IT IS HARD SOMETIMES THEY DON'T MAKE A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY DUE TO NEW MEDIA OUTLETS. ADVERTISING IS HARD BECAUSE OF THE COST. I STRUGGLE SOMETIMES BUT IT IS WORTH IT HAVING THE BOOKS AND MEETING THE INTERESTING CHARACTERS THAT COME THROUGH THE DOORS.

message 16: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) YOU SHOULD JOIN MY GROUP BOOK-AHOLICS

message 17: by SassyMama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

SassyMama (sweet-sassycomcastnet) | 11 comments I am definitely a BOOKAHOLIC, I have books on pre-order that aren't due out until the end of this year or not until early next year. I have books that are older than my 13 year old daughter, and I have yet to read them yet, but I will...still I just can't stop buying or borrowing books...I am definitely a book buying junkie...any cures...lol...although, I must say it's an addiction that I am totally enjoying:-)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all, my name is James, and I'm a bookaholic. This is my first post. It's been two days since the last time I let my self bought a book. I keep dozens of files on my harddisk, each titled "My Wishlist". My Wishlists on alibris and amazon listed different titles. My wife used to be able to help me help myself with this 'woeful' addiction, but I suspect she's addicted too now, all because of me ;)
To Wes, is your bookstore listed on alibris or ABE? Either online or here in Indonesia, I most of the times buy books through used bookstores (or even used books street peddlers, we got lots of those here).

message 19: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) YES JAMES HERE IS THE LINK TO MY ONLINE AMAZON STORE
http://www.amazon.com/shops/pricerigh...

THANKS
WES

message 20: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Hey, I'm Lori and I'm a bookaholic. Wow. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who has an addiction to books. I have to admit, though, I'm a one-book-at-a-time kinda girl. I wouldnt want my book to feel insignifigant or any less loved than it truely is. So I give it of my attention until I am done, and then I lovingly lay it to rest on my bookshelf.

I usually always have two or three books waiting in the wing.Although, sometimes, I manage to complete them a wee bit earlier than anticipated. I cannot stand the feeling of finishing a book ... and not having another one handy to pick up and run with (after a few hours of grieving over my last book, of course!) If my husband had a dollar for everytime I told him "Honey, I finished that last book alot sooner than I expected, Im running out to B&N, Be back soon!"....

I switch genres like a maniac.... I average a book a week, unless I happen to be reading one that I cannot bear to put down. At times I have gone through two or three in that time period..

I fake headaches sometimes, just to get 20 minutes alone in a bath with my books... otherwise between the kids and the homework and housechores, and my hubby viying for my attention, I wouldnt get any quailty reading time at all. I find myself thinking about when and how I will be able to squeeze in alone time for me and my current read.

When a really good book comes to an end, I tend to go into a short but painful denial, acceptance, and greivance phase.... where I will reread the last few pages over and over, just to make sure I have properly said goodbye.

I tend to buy multiple books at a time, tho I have to say... I do have SOME control over HOW MANY I will allow myself at a time. The most I have walked out of the bookstore with in one shopping period was three. As much as I love reading, I cannot allow myself to put my family into debt becuase of this addiction. And I will only go out to buy more once I am on my final novel....

Phew.... That was refreshing! I feel like a tiny weight has been lifted off my shoulders.... And now, I must be going... I can hear my book softly ruffling its pages, Its calling me, and I cannot ignore it a moment longer....

Ta-Ta, and happy reading to all!

message 21: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) THAT'S RIGHT GET IT OFF YOUR CHEST

message 22: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments I must post here because sadly (and not so sadly) I have just bought 6 more books adding to the 50 or so I have not read, sigh, sitting in my bookshelves! I am reading about 5 different books right now but I keep thirsting to add to my 800+ library. I can't leave a bookstore without buying a book, I have never done so yet. So yes, a Bookaholic I can claim to be. I have even tried not going into bookstores but then Amazon.com is also my downfall as well. Or I think, when buying a present for someone else (which of course will be a book)I can buy the present and thats it, but no, I will see a title, curiosity gets me, I pick it up and of course must then proceed to checkout. Well, at least my doom is also my pleasure and i will never lack in finding something to read ...

Also I must say that B&N is my first love but I like Borders as well. Right now, where I live there are three B&N and two Borders nearby. For each of the B&N I know what their selections are like and what I can find at each depending on what I am looking for .. for example one has a great Scifi/fantasy section and another has a better teens/childrens section. What is even better is that my Fave B&N is up the street from the only Borders I really go to! Again I like Borders but I just find better variety at B&N (I am extremely picky about the size and the bookcovers of the books I buy)

message 23: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) I MUST RECOMEND THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BUYING BOOKS THEN YOU SHOULD BE GOING TO USED BOOKSTORES TO GET MUCH BETTER DEALS THAN THE SUPER BOOKSTORES. PLUS YOU CAN GET STORE CREDIT AND GET REALLY GREAT DEALS...

message 24: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Doina | 58 comments Hello Wes! My name is Doina and I'm a bookaholic too. Owning a bookstore would be my idea of heaven. If you have an obsession you might as well profit from it. I love used bookstores because not only do I get great deals, and find books that are somewhat harder to find in the regular chain bookstores, but they have great character. Going back to being a bookaholic, I have close to 100 books that are in my to read pile, and I just purchased another 50 or so from an online used bookstore (most of them are from different series that I started and am now working my way through). And I have absolutely no idea where I am going to put them, considering that I already have 4 bookcases filled with the books that I absolutely cannot live without, stacks of books by the bed (also, my nightstand is a chest full of books), and by the couch in the livingroom, plus more books stored away. The way I see it, there are worse addictions out there.

message 25: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

ScottK Uhm..ok Yeah I live on a tropical Island and yes the beaches are great and the weather is near perfect every day ,...so I know most of you will not pity the fact that I only have Borders here ......or Borders express.Coming from Portland,Oregon home of Powell's Bookstore( along with Borders and BN). It was like culture shock.....Oh how I long for something other than Borders...even if it's only a B. Dalton. :)

message 26: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 19 comments My name is Christy and I'ma bookaholic! I just got a fix...100 used paperbacks delivered by mail. Yippeee! They've been duly logged into my database and await a more permanent home than the box they arrived in. I'm commandering my daughter's two bookshelves because they match the 4 in my bedroom, but with over 600 books in my TBR 'pile' I'm not sure there'll be enough room. I have boxes of books awaiting a place on a shelf.

BTW, I can't stand paying high shipping and handling charges, so I look for the best deals...this order came from www.cozybookcellar.com and they offer FREE shipping and handling on orders over $25.

message 27: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Meredith Watson | 37 comments And I thought I was bad, haha! I love that there are others like me, and lots worse! I have about 35 in my 'to read' pile and just bought another 8 at Goodwill. My first visit there and yes, there were more I wanted but limited myself to a $10 purchase.

message 28: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 22 comments Hi my name is Tara and I'm a bookaholic. I have about 20 or so books sitting waiting to be read, and rather than read them, I usually run right out and buy more. It's an addiction that is just getting a little out of control at this point. I usually go into a book buying frenzy as winter approaches, so I have a good supply just in case of a blizzard which keeps me from work for a few days.

I think I will read almost anything and there have been times where I was so desperate for reading material that I actually sat down and reread the Commercial Law book I had from my paralegal training. And I also read my econ book from college, years later, caus I was unhappy with my home library selection. Sad, very sad.

The B&N near me is a mess, every time I walk in it looks like a cyclone went through the place. So, I usually go to Borders cause it's a little more orderly. For years I was a huge B&N fan, but when I went to the one near me, I felt like I had fallen into insanity. Although, right now my absolute FAVE bookstore is The Tattered Cover! It is my dream bookstore! I want to live there!

message 29: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 5 comments Hi my name's Matta nd I'm a bookaholic. I have two bookcases filled with books I haven't started. When I buy a new book I have to make room for it, so thus started the pile of books I'm currently reading. As you can see, my currently reading list is 127 books long. It's a teetering pile.

message 30: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) HI THIS IS WES (THE BOOK-AHOLIC)AGAIN THANKS TO ALL FOR THEIR RESPONSES AND NOW I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE. I HAVE STARTED A GROUP CALLED BOOK-AHOLICS INSPIRED BY THIS BLOG AND IT CAN BE CONTINUED THERE.
I KNOW THERE IS ALOT OF GUILT FROM BUYING FROM NEW STORES SO I DO RECOMEND THAT YOU TRY GOODWILLS OR YOUR LOCAL USED BOOKSTORE TO GET A FIX ON YOUR READING HABBITS.
YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO HAVE A MEAL IF YOU SHOP AT THESE PLACES AND YOU CAN TRADE YOUR CRAPPY BOOKS IN. I OWN A USED BOOKSTORE AND I WAS TOLD FROM A LITTLE BIRDY THAT THE NEW BOOKSTORES HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AND REQUEST THAT YOU GO TO THE SMALLER SHOPS.
LOL
WES

message 31: by Hilarie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Hilarie This really is a twelve step group, huh? My name is Hilarie and I also am a bookaholic. It used to only be books I wanted to read, but now that I have children I also buy children's books often. I need to follow Clayton's example of placing a moratorium on my buying as well.

message 32: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) My name is Wes and I am a book-aholic. I have found out that there is no cure for this except to satisfy the needs of this addiction. After all the studies, drugs, and treatment the only way to prevent buying books is to be placed into a medically induced coma, but the old books just repeat themselves in the coma dreams. The 12 book, I mean step program does not work. WARNING trying to quit will only cause nervousness, headaches, and TV brainwashing.
Loose stool and madness are only a common misconception of side effects.
thanks
Wes
Bibleo General Warning

message 33: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Stephanie | 5 comments Hey Wes,

A while back I was going through Julia Cameron's workbook The Artist's Way, which is a twelve-week program for jump-starting creativity. The book includes all sorts of exercises to help push past creative blocks, and I've found it very effective. HOWEVER. One week of the program involves reading deprivation as a means to get your creative juices flowing.

I tried this technique twice and it was worse than quitting smoking. I was cranky, headachy, and all-around miserable. Finally, after going through the book the third time (I do the program every three years or so), I decided to cut out television instead of reading and it was far more effective. I was able to write more, which was the whole point of the exercise, and plus, my husband wasn't tempted to plunge a steak knife through my heart.

message 34: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 22 comments I have The Artist's Way and haven't been able to finish it because ot the reading deprivation. I may have to do what you did and just cut out TV. I think I might go through terrible withdrawal spasms if I cut out reading!

So, is this bad? I get paid in 2 days and I'm planning on heading straight to the bookstore during my lunch hour on payday. That's bad! I need help!

message 35: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Stephanie | 5 comments Hey Tara,

Any ideas on what you're going to buy on your lunch hour?

With regard to The Artist's Way, definitely give the TV deprivation a try. It frees up a lot of time for fun projects, but doesn't make you angry. Plus, the subsequent chapters of Cameron's book are very helpful, too.

message 36: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) IF YOU WANT GET RID OF BLOCKAGES I RECOMMEND TACOBELL BUT IF YOU WANT CREATIVITY GO CAMPING FOR A WEEKEND WITH A FEW FRIENDS AND GO HIKING. I LIVE 2 HOURS FROM THE MOUNTAINS IN NORTH CAROLINA AND IT IS NICE TO SPEND A WEEKEND UP THERE CAMPING, HIKING AND JUST SPENDING TIME TALKING BY THE CAMPFIRE. THE TIME HIKING BY ITSELF IS A GREAT INSPIRATION. I DON'T RECOMMEND SITTING IN HOUSE STARING AT THE WALL.

message 37: by Karin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Karin | 13 comments My name is Karin, and I too am a bookaholic. I listen to two audio books at a time (one in my car and one on my portable CD/cassette player in the house. I also carry a paperback book in my purse, have a hardback book on my end table by my couch and carry one in my car for emergencies. I have way too many books to ever read them all and I continue to buy them. I love trading books with others but I always want my hardback books back, just in case I want to read it again. And, besides, I love the look of my hardback books lined up on my bookshelves. Sad, I know. And, I too keep buying them. I guess there are worse things to be addicted to.

message 38: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) SPINE BENDERS:
I ALWAYS KEEP MY SPINE STRAIGHT I HAVE A PET PEEVE ABOUT NOT BENDING THE SPINE ON PAPERBACKS AND KEEPING HARDCOVERS AS MINT AS POSSIBLE WHILE READING THEM. It is like I am protecting a piece of history. I see some people just man-handle a paperback and bend the front cover over to the back cover. Oh the humanity!
oh well to each their own I guess.
have a happy day
wes

message 39: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 22 comments Stephanie -- I think on my book buying trip tomorrow (it's almost payday, woohoo!) I'm going to get The Daring Book for Girls, another journal, Sidney Poitier's autobiography and maybe one other book if I find something that jumps off the shelf and attacks me.

Wes -- the camping idea would be great, and the mountains are really close to me, except that I'm not really allowed to camp. But I do find sitting in the a neighborhood park works well. There's a trail near my apartment that I walk on to clear my head and get the juices flowing.

I also try to keep my spines in good condition. If the spine gets bent too much, the pages start to loosen and fall out. I re-read books, so when pages fall out it defeats the purpose. On the few occassions I lent books out, I told the borrowers not to crack the spine, not to curl the cover and pages, not to eat greasy foods and touch the pages, not to place the book in any location where it might get wet or electrocuted (another long story) and not to take the book into the bathroom with them, cause I don't know where their hands have been. I don't loan out my books anymore!

message 40: by Chad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Chad My name is Chad and I too am a bookaholic. I am currently reading ten or twelve books, who can keep track? I own about forty unread books, my bookshelf is packed two deep on some shelves with piles of other books that won't fit sitting on the floor.
I am scared to drive by a bookstore for fear of emptying out my bank account. Trips to the bookstore have to be planned in advance and I have to set a time limit on myself because the longer I am in their the more I buy.
I used to never write in my books, dog ear them, or break the spine but recently I have lost all control and jot down notes everytime something occurs to me. I highlight, right down quotes from other books, circle favorite passages, even pen my arguments against my books in my books. I hold nothing back from my books. Some of them would better be described as notebooks.
And I do not loan out my books. I will go out and buy someone a copy of a book before I will loan them one of mine. They are part of my extended consciousness. If I get the sudden urge to revisit a particular book, I need that book!

message 41: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) Chad has his addiction under control it seams. You have guidelines already in place. The notes in the books? A little to extreme for me but I would never do such except for a bible. What kind of books do you note?

message 42: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments Yea, same here Wes, I dont like noting in my books (except for my Bible). I only highlight or write in school books that i know i am going to keep as well.
Chad, I like how you said your books are part of your extended consciousness, cause I feel the same way and have rarely heard anyone else put it like that. And i never get urges to revisit, i just buy them if i know i won't remember them the next time i am at the store. It takes care of one problem, but then it does start another ...;)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought I had a book buying addiction, but apparently I'm a functioning book-aholic by comparison! I have about 30 books on my shelf that I've yet to read but end up buying at a rate faster than I can read. My wife asked me to STOP buying books for awhile. My favorite store is Borders, in fact, I wish I could own one. The nearest one to me is 30 minutes away, so it is a rare occasion that I am able to enjoy that pleasure.

message 44: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) so now I have a name for what I'am; A Bookaholic. It is good to know there are more like me out there. I have tons of books at home to read but I still go to my favorite book store (Linda's used Book Store) every weekend and buy more.

message 45: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Christy | 1 comments Clayton, I too am a bookaholic. I budget $1200 annually for my book purchases! No joke, I budget it in, like my cell phone bill and shoe purchases. I have to say I laughed aloud when I saw your posting about leaving for somewhere early just to be able to read in the car. I will skip my shows for weeks if I am really interested in a book. Not that I read anything to heavy mind you. Sometimes I can go through 10 books in a weekend if I'm binging...anyone else have my problem?

message 46: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Kate (kateduttera) Haha, I hella do that to, bring a bigger bag to carry a book in -- big enough to conceal from others that yes, i have a book in my purse, just in case. Isn't that one of the signs of addiction, doing it in secret, hiding it from people?

On the subject of scents in bookstores, let's not forget the smelling of the books themselves. I'm ashamed to say I've been caught with my nose pressed into the pages of a book, deep in the spine, smelling the paper and ink. Please don't think less of me, hehe.

message 47: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Kate (kateduttera) I agree, I've never understood the concept of pulling up a chair to read in a bookstore. Of course, the aisles are littered with folks standing around perusing first pages and chapters, but if you like a book enough to read it, why not buy it? Read it at home all snuggly in bed with tea? Apart from abusing 'new' books for the people who actually want to buy, this just seems like a tightwad move to me.

message 48: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

ScottK Ok Katie there is no shame in smelling the book I do that as well. My partner has actually walked into the bedroom while I was doing it once and he asked me if I was sniffing my book. I told him yes I was smelling the ink and paper it smelled good. He walked out of the room laughing so hard he almost fell(Karma I say Karma, she's a beotch).

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Murpy's law. I went to Borders this weekend to buy 2 books for my sister's birthday. I ended up spending $67 because of course I had to get one for everyone in the family and, sadly, the most expensive one was the one that I wanted (The Road).

message 50: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments Katie, I love the smell of books as well. I have been caught many times with my nose iterally in a book, heehee. I especially love the smell of old books in a libary, sigh! I also love the feel of the paper, I just commented yesterday on the smeel and feel of a book to my brother.
Oh and Karen I took 13 books with me to CA recently when I was there for a week. 4-5 never seem like enough, especially when I am usually reading 3 at a time.

« previous 1