The Sword and Laser discussion

What background music do you listen to while reading?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonshann0w (new)

Jonshann0w | 7 comments Just wondered what other people did for background music. I find music generally to be very distracting, but some easy listening/classical music can be good. I have just bought a kindle and was looking to get some new music to load it up with for background music.

I am interested to hear what other member suggest.

John

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Deisler | 51 comments My standard reading music, if I listen to anything, is Ambient 1: Music for Airports, by Brian Eno. To me it is the perfect background music.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott (smrathburn) | 44 comments Used to be just about anything. My ability to multitask has diminished, so it's classical music if any at all.

message 5: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments I have never understood why some people listen(?) to music whilst reading. How is it possible to actively listen to music and concentrate on what you are reading at the same time. Perhaps I only have a single core CPU of a brain.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6393 comments Noel wrote: "I have never understood why some people listen(?) to music whilst reading. How is it possible to actively listen to music and concentrate on what you are reading at the same time. Perhaps I only have a single core CPU of a brain."

Dude, you need to upgrade your brain to an I7.

message 7: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Yeah! That's quad core action. I could read, listen to music, listen to the latest s&l podcast AND listen to my wife talking at the same time. On second thoughts I'll stick with my Commodore 64.

message 8: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments I don't usually listen to anything while I'm reading, unless you count audiobooks--then, it's whatever crap the gym is playing combined with the sounds of working out.

That said, I can usually filter out most things when I'm reading books in print. This proves a useful skill when I go home for the holidays and my family is watching crappy TV.

message 9: by Tashfeen (new)

Tashfeen (tbhimdi) | 28 comments I can barely read when somebody on the train is talking, I have to hum to myself out loud (in my head, if that makes sense), so I can drown out whatever conversation is going on.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Conner | 3 comments Most of the time I can't handle other distractions while I am reading. I mean the whole reason I read is to get absorbed in the story and the world that my mind creates around it.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt | 29 comments For me it doesn't matter. My brain tends to filter out audio if I am doing anything visually.

Because of this audiobooks don't do it for me.

I use music occasionally just as "filler" because I know I won't remember what I heard.

message 12: by Derek (last edited Jan 04, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Mostly I just set my mp3 to shuffle, or turn the TV on. Silence is really annoying. :-D
But if I'm reading something with alot of action I may switch over to something with a good beat, but not too hard; Evanescence, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, etc.
I think movies and TV have spoiled us, somethings just don't sound right without a good soundtrack. :-D

message 13: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments "Echoes Across the Astral Wasteland" by the Photon Wave Orchestra.

message 14: by Jonshann0w (last edited Jan 11, 2011 06:14AM) (new)

Jonshann0w | 7 comments Some good ideas.

Just to clear up, my original post was to look for Music that was background music to shut out the distracting noises, not to listen to as such, but to enhance the reading environment.

My preferred reading environment is silence, as I also can't multi-task my brain. But when the TV is on, or the kids are making a lot of noise or I'm by the pool. Something calming and easy listening background noise, to not dirstact me but to drown out the other noise is helpful. Anything with lyrics is a non-starter for me.

message 15: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jonshann0w wrote: "My preferred reading environment is silence, as I also can't multi-task my brain. But when the TV is on, or the kids are making a lot of noise or I'm by the pool...."

Same here. There's a TV in my bedroom that wouldn't be, if I had my way. On the rare occasions I can get absorbed in my reading, I find I either have to cover my head with a pillow or read really fast to get my head into the text as quickly as possible.

message 16: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Hansen (midagegeek) | 10 comments Put me in the "music to drown out background noise" camp. As a result I am best off with something along the lines of a movie score, classical, or otherwise primarily instrumental. I typically use Pandora radio to find something appropriately themed. For instance I'll use Howard Shore as the basis for a channel when reading classic fantasy, Li Xiangting when reading something of an asian theme, or Yo-Yo Ma when all else fails.

Jeff