Audiobooks discussion

Archives > End of the World themes - help?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Archiegitdog (new)

Archiegitdog Hi all, I work in Saudi Arabia but often fly back to the UK to see the family. I listen to lots of audio books for when I am in the gym in Saudi or walking the dog in the UK. Have just recently listened to Lucifer's Hammer (Larry Niven) and Beyond Exile (J L Bourne) and are asking if any one in the group can recommend similar type audio books? I appreciate its a weird taste but I need to prepare for the end of the world to get one over my family and friends!!!!!!

message 2: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Hey, Archiegitdog

I was just talking with Janice over in the Winter 2010-2011 thread about some speculative fiction that we both like. You should go check it out!

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments Post-apocalyptic fiction is one of my favorite sub-genres. Here's a link to my post-apocalypse bookshelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

I think most of these are available on audio.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments I agree with Nena regarding The Road and Life as We Knew It (FYI Life is a YA book) and Sandi's Hunger Games trilogy from her list. I did not like the Hunger Games on audio though.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments Heidi I wrote: "I agree with Nena regarding The Road and Life as We Knew It (FYI Life is a YA book) and Sandi's Hunger Games trilogy from her list. I did not like the Hunger Games on audio though."

I didn't like the narration of the first Hunger Games book, but she improved a lot with the second two.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice Sandi wrote: "Post-apocalyptic fiction is one of my favorite sub-genres. Here's a link to my post-apocalypse bookshelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

I think most of..."

Sandi, thanks for the link; I found several new books to add to my list!
Archie, another good post-apopcalyptic that I read recently was Sleepless by Charlie Huston. The setting is Los Angeles, in the midst of an epidemic that is causing all infrastructure to crash, and that renders the victims unable to sleep. Interesting concepts, and well written.

message 7: by Donna (last edited Dec 19, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Donna | 36 comments I LOVE Charlie Huston... haven't read that one yet, but a lot of his other ones.

Also S.M. Stirling has a series starting with Dies the Fire that you may want to check out.

The Passage was also good, but I didn't realize it was the first in a series...

message 8: by Archiegitdog (new)

Archiegitdog Thanks everyone! I am searching and updating my audio books as I type with the recommendations above.

For Nena - I got Lucifer's Hammer from Itunes store. Cost around 10 sterling I think from memory, very addictive in parts.

message 9: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9 comments This is an older book, but I listened to it last year, and thought it was pretty well done.

Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice This week at the library I found this new title: The Four Fingers of Death by Rick Moody. However my library has only a text version, I don't know if this title is available in audio format.