Book lovers discussion

Challenges > Diane D's 2011 Classics & Non-Fiction I Own Challenge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Diane - I am also planning to read Homer's Odyssey, In Cold Blood, and Dracula next year. Look forward to chatting about them with you!

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Sarah, that's great! I'm so anxious to read Homer's Odyssey. I love creating new reading challenges every year, it keeps me on track.

message 4: by Angela (last edited Dec 18, 2010 09:04AM) (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 220 comments I really enjoyed "Dracula" when I read it a while ago. Good luck with the list!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Thanks Angela. I'll probably pick Dracula for October.

message 6: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Diane D. wrote: "Thanks Angela. I'll probably pick Dracula for October."

I enjoyed Dracula...read it 2 Octobers ago! I'll be interested to see what you think of ITGOGAEvil....it wasn't great for me!

message 7: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Diane D. wrote: "I want to concentrate on some classics and non-fiction books that I own but haven't gotten around to:

1. The Grapes of Wrath

2. Jane Eyre

3. [book:Doctor Zhivag..."

It feels weird to say I enjoyed In Cold Blood...but I thought it was a great read...read it many years ago!

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Shelli, when I read ICB, I definitely want to see movie with Philip Seymour Hoffman too.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Good luck, Diane!

message 10: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Diane D. wrote: "Shelli, when I read ICB, I definitely want to see movie with Philip Seymour Hoffman too."

Didn't know there was one....I'll have to check it out...but yikes!!!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Shelli, Philip Seymour Hoffman won best actor for his role as Truman Capote.

message 12: by Norm (new)

Norm (NormB) | 6 comments Hi Diane,
Some interesting titles in your 2011 challenge. A few are my all time favourites, Grapes of Wrath, Dracula and In Cold Blood. Some I must admit I never heard of.
In Cold Blood is an enjoyable read in a wierd way. Capote wrote it in a fictional form so that it is a page turner like a novel even though it is a meticulously researched factual account of a crime.
I agree with other comments, the 2005 film is a must see after you read the book.It really is a great movie but even more so if you are into writing and novelists. There is a black and white film of the novel but I would not advise seeing that. It is just a bit too grim.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Norm, I'll catch up with you once I read In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences and see the movie.

message 14: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Diane D. wrote: "Shelli, Philip Seymour Hoffman won best actor for his role as Truman Capote."

INTERESTING!

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Ticker:

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Shelli wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "Thanks Angela. I'll probably pick Dracula for October."

I enjoyed Dracula...read it 2 Octobers ago! I'll be interested to see what you think of ITGOGAEvil....it wasn't great fo..."

Shelli, I ended up taking off
Dracula and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil because I bought and added The Count of Monte Cristo today.

message 17: by Angela (last edited Dec 31, 2010 05:01AM) (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 220 comments Diane D. wrote: "Shelli wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "Thanks Angela. I'll probably pick Dracula for October."

I enjoyed Dracula...read it 2 Octobers ago! I'll be interested to see what you think of ITGOGAEvil....it ..."

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite classics. I hope you enjoy it!

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Angela, so many people love this book, I am really looking forward to reading it.

message 19: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Diane D. wrote: "Shelli wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "Thanks Angela. I'll probably pick Dracula for October."

I enjoyed Dracula...read it 2 Octobers ago! I'll be interested to see what you think of ITGOGAEvil....it ..."

Can't wait to read it!

message 20: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Diane....did you decide to read Dracula? You might like it better than Handling the Undead!!!!