The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is experimenting on) discussion

Pertaining to the project > The Death of a Thread

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scribble (last edited Dec 17, 2010 01:00PM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments See this thread here? Now, the book and review might not be everybody's favourite topic of discussion, but after a particularly stunning pic and caption, the poster asked (perhaps tongue-in-cheek, given the topic material), whether the thread was dead.

Has it happened? Why? When? How? And most importantly, WHERE?

Do review threads reincarnate? Is there such a thing as thread CPR? Are you guilty of killing the conversation?

message 2: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I saw this thread title and was confused. "But I hadn't posted it in it yet!"

message 3: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 35 comments I seem to be in a totally different time zone to be very active in threads here, but yeah in real life..am a major conversation killer (although I can never work out why exactly).

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Yes, we were having such a lovely chat about Pol Pot and then someone brought up something rather unpleasant. And the conversation just stopped dead. Shame.

Slightly different topic - there should be somewhere where Great Threads of Our Time could be flagged up. Sometimes the review is not that great but the conversation which then follows is brilliant.

message 5: by Scribble (last edited Dec 22, 2010 12:06AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments Paul wrote: "Sometimes the review is not that great but the conversation which then follows is brilliant."

Paul, either you or Brian can start a Thread Hall of Fame, no?

(why is it that every time I write the word 'thread' I'm reminded of Anne McCaffrey?)

message 6: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments Even at their meanest GR threads do not burn through our skins.

message 7: by Scribble (last edited Dec 22, 2010 08:53AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments Miriam, you have impenetrabium dragon hide.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) Like that time someone wrote a one-line review of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius that was followed by, like, a six-page long thread of awesome discussion.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Nice one - if I may be so bold, there are a couple of great American Psycho threads, not just the one stemming from my review

message 10: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) And the Eggers thread I mentioned is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

And it's actually nine pages long.

message 11: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments Wasn't it your own, Brian, about Twilight - that's over 165 messages and still going strong, isn't it? (Looks like Paul will have to start a Thread Hall anyway, so we can have yours included :D).

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Brown (Toastx2) (toastx2) | 120 comments after looking at the above review by paul, i have to say that though the post in question did "kill" the conversation, it highlighted the review perfectly.

message 13: by Cass (new)

Cass They can never die, because people like me come along and ignore the 50 other comments and just have to respond anyway.

See http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... where I waited nearly 12 months to have my say.

I run an online forum for mums. The mod team knows that every full moon someone will reignite at least one of the controversial* parenting threads and the whole argument will start again.

*How do you feed your baby, where does your baby sleep, how do you transport your baby, where do your children go to school, when did you turn you carseat around, at what age did you potty train your child, where did you give birth, do you smack your child, do you praise your child etc etc etc

message 14: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments Cass, you should make a Jonathan Swift sock puppet for your forum and start discussing A Modest Proposal.

The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Modest Proposal (other topics)