Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Book Chat > Is That Nook A Fine Place To Read Or Just Another Dusty Corner?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill (michaelofshe-rain) | 3 comments My novel, She-Rain, just launched in the Nook, so I'm more curious than ever to hear from users about the interface and the feel of it in general. Nook users, lay your experience on me. How's it working for you?

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (cdbaldwin) | 3 comments Lets put it this way... I haven't been able to find the time to sit down and read a book in years. When I was younger I would be able to finish a book in a day! I bought my Nook back in October and have read more books in the last 3 months than in the last 14 years. Bring on the ebooks!

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) Denise wrote: "Lets put it this way... I haven't been able to find the time to sit down and read a book in years. When I was younger I would be able to finish a book in a day! I bought my Nook back in October and..."

I agree with Denise I read my ebooks more often then my book books.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill (michaelofshe-rain) | 3 comments Denise, Elizabeth, I agree, and writers adore the e-book platforms. We're finally gaining some fine control of the publication of our intellectual property. There's much to celebrate here. Under e-books, prices for books drop, middle-men drop out, and writer royalties soar!! Beautiful!

Any trouble with the Nook user interface? Any experience with the new children's books on Nook?

Warmest gratitude,
m

message 5: by Ana (last edited Dec 31, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

Ana (sugaroni) My biggest complaint so far with the Nook is limited font and typesetting options. Certain books require a certain look for the text, wouldn't you agree? But I'm a designer and have always believed that the styling of the typography can often make or break the reading experience.

Alternately, I love that I can change the size of the type and suspect as I get older, this will be an even more appealing option.

Otherwise, I love it. I've had mine less than a week and I've already read two and a half books.

message 6: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) My nook isn't collecting any dust whatsoever. I'm reading on the thing for a couple hours a day at least. Haven't spent any time with the Nook Color outside of the store so I can't really speak for that one.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Ana I have only had two books I can't typeset larger and have to use a magnifying glass with them which makes it uncomfortable. I read my nook so much I don't turn it off .... or haven't turned it off but once or twice since I bought it in april. I will buy the nook color if the type can be made larger. I think the apple iPad can be made any size you want.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) Love my Nook! It's off at the moment because I am rereading a series that I had BN (Before Nook) :)

message 9: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I have a Nook and a Nookcolor! I love both. User interface is awesome on both. The children's books so far I have had no issues. I have bought 1 and the 2 it came with. If you click on the font they get larger as well and the read to me feature is awesome.

The font can be made larger on the Nookcolor as well just so you know Faithmarie. And you have more variety on the font that you want to read in.

My Nooks collect no dust. I am reading one book on my Nookcolor at home and one on my Nook during my lunch breaks at work and when waiting in drive-thrus or while waiting for my car to warm up in the morning (graveyard shift).

My only peeve with the Nookcolor so far is that I can't figure out how to rearrange My Shelves on it. Like if I want to move a shelf to the to or something.

message 10: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
I seem to go in waves, if I'm reading print books I want to keep reading print, if I'm reading my Nook I want to keep reading my Nook.

message 11: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 18 comments I love my Nook. I bring it to work everyday to read during lunch -and travelling over the holidays was so much more pleasent with one small item vs several heavy books! It made for such a lighter carry-on, my shoulders thanked me the whole time!
I have noticed that books have different font sizes/types, but it doesn't phase me. I just accept that books comes differently on the Nook (as they can in real print) and go from there. I haven't played with the font size, as nothing has bothered me enough yet to mess with it.

With all that said, I still read print books, and have no intention of ever 100% leaving the medium. Nor will I spend the money to put books I already own on the Nook. For me, there is value in both.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason | 6 comments I just got my Nook so I am still giddy for my new gadget. I will have to wait and see if it becomes a regularly used device or just another forgotten trend. I am really enjoying reading on the Nook and have done more recently than I have in quite a while.

Nook forecast = HIGH!

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Jan 13, 2011 04:49AM) (new)

Michelle (squirrelflight77) | 15 comments I got the Nook Color for Christmas. I stopped reading fiction about 10 years ago after a good string of books I just couldnt get into and having my daughter, etc. So I wasnt sure I would really get into the e-reading either but while shopping around for a possible reader for my daughter I decided I wanted one. LOL

I have to say I just adore it!! I love that I can get a good sample before I buy. I love that I can get great freebies.

And then there are all the little things about the nook that I love like never losing my page.. not getting a hand cramp holding a book open... adjust the text larger and having it always be crisp (some books are printed very small or not very sharp and my eyesight is not all that) I have allergies and any book that is not fairly 'new' irritates me.. not a problem with the nook! LOL

I like popping over and checking my email before bed after reading...

And as a photographer I also have mini-portfolio on the nook since photos display beautifully on it. I have several pdf references for poses etc that I have put on it so that I will have those with me while I'm on a shoot.

And best of all I've read 4 great books since getting it and find it very comfortable and easy to use. Just love it!!

Planning to get hubby one and my girl one too.. although she may get the regular nook instead of the color.. will see. :) But I'm a very happy e-reader and that's all there is to it.

message 14: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I love happy Nook stories! =]

It's really changed my reading habits as well. I've just been able to read so much more and the reading is much more comfortable like you said.

message 15: by April (new)

April (flipflop1117) I gotta say the biggest advantages so far for me are being able to carry as many books with me as I want in one device, and one-handed reading which allowed me to read the countless hours I spent nursing my son :) I, too, have read more books since getting my Nook than I have in the past few years wihtout one. I am an avid reader and the convenience factors of the Nook make it possible with my now busy life.

message 16: by Hanane (new)

Hanane (mshanane) I agree with almost everyone. It is great having a portable library! I can see this coming in very handy on our next extended visit to Morocco. No individual suitcase for books. Yippee! I also carry it with me to work for break and lunchtime reading.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I went to Aruba for 10 days and I needed a book for each day. It took up so much of my suitcase! It will be interesting to see how much better travel is with a Nook!

message 18: by Stewie's Mom (new)

Stewie's Mom (stewiesmom) | 10 comments I bought a Nook when they first came out and then a year later, I bought the NookColor, too. Mine don't collect dust, just fingerprints!

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaluvsbooks) | 3 comments I've always been an avid reader, but I find with my NookColor I'm reading more. I think it's because I like have my home shelf showing with all the books that are waiting for me!

message 20: by Firstlady (new)

Firstlady | 6 comments I have NookColor and Nook 3g. I've had both for about 1-2 months and have READ soo much than before. I read my books on the 3g because its better on my eyes. Use my NookColor for magazines and as a tablet. I take it EVERYWHERE I go.

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 16 comments Firstlady wrote: "I have NookColor and Nook 3g. I've had both for about 1-2 months and have READ soo much than before. I read my books on the 3g because its better on my eyes. Use my NookColor for magazines and as a..."

I've been amazed at how quickly I am reading books on my Nook. I think its because I am not distracted by flipping pages to see how many more until the next chapter/section, looking at the cover-again, etc....LOVE reading on the Nook!!

message 22: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Jun 01, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
I had some issues at first, but it's really grown on me. I love reading ebooks! I love all the great ebooks available at the library! I love all the freebies! I love not having to store the damn things! ;-) My biggest issue is having to recharge all the time. Might be because I read so fast?

I'm pretty sure I read faster on the Nook. Books just seem to fly by. Print books drag.

message 23: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 16 comments willaful wrote: "I had some issues at first, but it's really grown on me. I love reading ebooks! I love all the great ebooks available at the library! I love all the freebies! I love not having to store the damn th..."

Yes, storage has become a big issue here....and I, too, LOVE the freebies! Yeah, I'm noticing the constant charging too....one of the good things about the Nook, I've downloaded the PC Nook app, so if I have to re-charge, I can still read the book on the laptop...B&N rocks with the Nook!

message 24: by Firstlady (new)

Firstlady | 6 comments @Anne..If I added up all the books that I've bought, I definatly know that I would be in cardiac arrest. But I love reading once again. I agree with the page turning.

@willaful. I definatly read much faster. So I "try" to find books with a large kb file. Become a pro as price of a book based on kb file.I'm a big romance reader and can read in once setting. The largest book that I found was 1025kb (912 ebook pages, was $2, and it was a great story (thank goodness). lol