Stephen King Fans discussion

Just After Sunset
This topic is about Just After Sunset

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Jul 29, 2008 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2303 comments Mod
Will anyone be checking out N? This is a new format Stephen King is trying out... here is a link:

http://www.simonsays.com/specials/ste...

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments I saw a trailer for this, might watch it.

I love how Stephen King is always trying to push new mediums for his stories. I read in 'On Writing' (I think) how he got into writing 'e-books' just because they were another way to get the stories out. Granted 'ebooks' haven't taken off as was probably expected, but he should definitely be praised for trying it.

Shane (TheMrE) I'll be watching the webisodes as they are released and will also read it this fall when his next book is released. I think it is awesome that SK keeps looking for new ways to entertain us.

Steve | 241 comments The links the article provides are no longer valid. What the hey?...Did it crash?

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hummm you're right... I wonder what that's all about?

message 6: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Jul 29, 2008 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is back up and running... it must've crashed for a little while since it was just announced on Friday.

http://www.simonsays.com/specials/ste...

I watched the first two episodes and they are great! There will be a new episode every weekday between now and Aug 29th!

Jessika (jessilouwho22) | 64 comments I just spotted this on his website and I watched the first three episodes just now--they're really good! (of course, in typical Stephen King fashion!) I'll definitely be looking for his book of short stories to come out!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 8 comments I put this on my myspace page to introduce everyone to my fav author!

message 9: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good idea!

message 10: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really enjoyed watching this series and thought it was a really good idea. I also liked the ending, thought is was very spooky!

message 11: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen King talks about N

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...

message 12: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I moved this thread from the book thread to keep the conversation going, so discuss this short story here!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I thought this story was very cool I liked it alot and it was very spooky at the end and conspiracys are always scary anyway!

message 14: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I almost didn't read this story, I thought that the internet graphic novel was the story so since I had already watched that I didn't think it was necessary to re-read the story. Then I started flicking through the pages and noticed that actually it is a lot longer then the graphic novel. So I read it and it was wonderful! I LOVE this story. I think it is creepy and I love how taking care of the field will never end, it will always pass on to the next person! Spooky!

message 15: by John (last edited Dec 10, 2008 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John P (ironhead) I really liked this story a lot, Stephen has great insight into OCD. The hopelessness and the loneliness of the characters, bleeds over into the reader. It gave me the creeps reading it. And to be able to do that within a short story is remarkable. N has got to be one of the best short stories Ive read.

message 16: by dollmatic (last edited Dec 10, 2008 06:26PM) (new) - added it

dollmatic | 9 comments I haven't read this story yet, but I have seen the digital adaptation, and I thought it was brilliantly done. Awesome artwork too. In "N," and so many of his other works, Stephen King takes reality and rips it a new one, and quite frankly, it's disturbing as hell to digest - all the more reason to love it.

message 17: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric | 16 comments In the author's notes, in the back of the book, I liked that Stephen King warns us to be careful if we develop OCD habits.

message 18: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Me too and after I read that I went to bed.. but I got back up and checked all the doors.

Kelly (ksshadowfax99) | 21 comments Did you check them once, twice, in a certain order?? j/k Angie. I agree that with King that we all have a litte OCD in ourselves. I'm pretty sure I would have gone and touched the stones too...guess we know what my fate wouldn have been.

I don't think I'll be checking out the new format of "N" though, I don't like my visions of things to change after I've made them in my mind...if that makes any sense at all.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I loved this story! This might be my favorite of the bunch so far. Haven't finished the book yet, 2 more to go, so we'll see. I can't wait to see the webisodes that I downloaded from iTunes. I wanted to read it first. Really good stuff!

message 21: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1031 comments Mod
Thank you Becky.....my world is all in order now....I owe you....

message 22: by Dj (last edited Jun 06, 2009 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj This story blew me away. In my opinion it's the scariest short story King has ever done. I can't rave enough about it! The images I have in my mind of the field are so clear and brilliant. His descriptions just hit me dead on and seemed to resonate with my imagination. Did you guys notice that the excerpt in the very beginning of the book is from the book that inspired King to write this story? (he mentions the book in the story note in the back)

message 23: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj CTHUN is described as reptilian, with a snout with bristling hairs on it. Was anyone else reminded about those creatures from the Dark Tower series (the ones in the restaurant scene)? Also, the stones reminded me of the summoning circles from Dark Tower. Is this me seeing shapes in the clouds or do you think it's really a reference?

message 24: by Martin (new)

Martin Maher (Martin87) | 72 comments Just after watching the first episode. Looks pretty good. I`ve heard mixed reviews of the book itself. Is it worth the read?

message 25: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Martin, I think it is, and since it is short stories you get through them pretty fast.

Dj, N is a great story, one of my favorites. The restaurant scene from the DT has always stuck with me. ALWAYS. It was just so creepy. So of course I was reminded of the DT. But I didn't think about the stones. That was a good one!

message 26: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marvel announces N.
Posted: December 21, 2009, 23:08:26 | Section: Book » N

Marvel Announces Graphic Fiction Adaptation of Stephen King’s "N."

Marvel is proud to announce Stephen King’s “N.” #1 (of 4), a new graphic fiction adaptation of the bestselling author’s chilling short story in his recently-released collection, Just After Sunset. The blockbuster creative team of Marc Guggenheim and Alex Maleev, also responsible for the red-hot Stephen King’s “N” Motion Comic, tell the story of something terrifying hidden in Ackerman’s Field. A bizarre arrangement of eight stones keeps a nightmare contained, but when--in the eye of an unfortunate beholder--the eight stones become seven, the fabric of what we think is real begins to shred, and an unbearable doom seizes the mind.

"It's absolutely thrilling for Marvel to be working on 'N.' again and having the honor to publish it as a comic book miniseries," said said Ruwan Jayatilleke, Marvel Senior Vice President, Development & Planning, Print, Animation and Digital Media. "Both as a fan of the story and a producer on the 'N.' motion comic, I am absolutely psyched for the terrifying ride that Marc, Alex, and the editors have planned for readers!"

It’s the graphic fiction adaptation demanded by fans all over the world-- Stephen King’s “N.” begins in March and no horror fan can afford to miss this alarming tale!

STEPHEN KING'S "N." #1 (of 4)
Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM
Art & Cover by ALEX MALEEV
Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99
© 2010 Stephen King. All rights reserved.
ON SALE MARCH 201

Fairul Asannan (abdfairul) | 20 comments actually i kinda hoping the monster in the circle do get out.. so King will have to describe the monster, rather than leaving me wondering about it!

Kandice | 2753 comments I just audio-ed this. It was narrated by 3 different voices. A woman for ht esister's parts and two men for Dr. B and N. I have to say, as much as I thought that was going to make it "hokey", it lent a bit of spookiness to it that I hadn't expected. Holter Graham (SP?) was Dr. B and that guy is an excellent reader. One that's good enough to sell an audio story I may otherwise put aside in print.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I liked that the monster wasn't described... It felt kind of like an homage to Lovecraft. :) Sometimes that which is left to our own imagination is scarier than the actual thing.

I really liked the audio for this story though. It was VERY creepy!!

Kandice | 2753 comments Were you surprised that you liked it since it was the 3 voices? I don't like re-enactments, and I was afraid that's what it would be. I was very pleasantly surprised, and yes, it's way better left up to your imagination with sketchy details. Like the shark in Jaws.:D

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I didn't know it was going to be 3 voices. I don't like re-enactments either, but this didn't feel like a re-enactment. *shrug*

Kandice | 2753 comments I just meant that beacause I knew, going in, that there would be 3 readers I was worried it WOULD come across as a re-enactment, but it really didn't. Not at all! It was perfect, because the different levels of sanity and insanity were played perfectly in the sister's and N's voice, and Dr. B was perfectly sane to begin with and slowly, but very noticably declined. I don't think one reader could have conveyed that as perfectly.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Yes... they were played perfectly. I really enjoyed it. :)

Fairul Asannan (abdfairul) | 20 comments Becky wrote: "I liked that the monster wasn't described... It felt kind of like an homage to Lovecraft. :) Sometimes that which is left to our own imagination is scarier than the actual thing.

I really liked..."

yeah. i guess so. this is also what makes the Mist really scary to the bone.... until you watched the movie.

message 35: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane (RougeAllure) | 65 comments I really enjoyed this story-possibly one of my favourites from this book, I could really picture the field in my head too...awesome

message 36: by Lanie (new) - added it

Lanie (IceVamp) | 145 comments I loved this story - it haunted me for days after I read it. Very creepy and scary, and had a hint of realism to it. I actually thought it could be true.

message 37: by Ciqu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ciqu | 22 comments King is really the King of short stories! How he can scare you in just a few pages is really awesome... but the OCD thing... i think the people who suffer from it may actually believe they are creating order out of chaos, i mean really believe it... and isn't there supposed to be a thin line between sanity and insanity!!

message 38: by Ciqu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ciqu | 22 comments King is really the King of short stories! How he can scare you in just a few pages is really awesome... but the OCD thing... i think the people who suffer from it may actually believe they are creating order out of chaos, i mean really believe it... and isn't there supposed to be a thin line between sanity and insanity!!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 608 comments Thanks for the link, I just watched all of 'em. I have no idea how I could've missed 'em before...

Aneela (Choccy55) | 43 comments Very creepy short story. Highlights the stress the mind can be put under.

message 41: by Lanie (new) - added it

Lanie (IceVamp) | 145 comments This story is so amazing and I've re-read it so many times. Was anyone else blown away by it? It was so simple, yet the psychological hold it has...it stayed with me for days after I read it and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I wanted to know what N was like before he found that field. I've tried to imagine what that must've been like for him to see that. Some of the best writing. Hands down the best story in Just After Sunset.

Gavin (TheWalkingDude) | 160 comments I always like SK's Lovecraft-like stories, like this one and The Jaunt.

Constance (lamblyn) | 12 comments This one creeped me out so bad I almost didn't finish it. (44 letters- whew a good number.)

Kandice | 2753 comments Constance wrote: "This one creeped me out so bad I almost didn't finish it. (44 letters- whew a good number.)"

Ha ha!

message 45: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Jodry (TheyCallMeWitness) | 79 comments Ooooh! I've only been a King fan for a few years now. I never heard of this "N" series before. I can't wait to check it out! I hope the link still works.

Everything is Eventual is the only short stories set of his that I've read. I loved it. Especially the very first story in it. It spooked me big time.

Hey, Kandice! /wink

Kandice | 2753 comments Nathan wrote: "Ooooh! I've only been a King fan for a few years now. I never heard of this "N" series before. I can't wait to check it out! I hope the link still works.

Everything is Eventual is the only sho..."

(right back at ya!)

N is just one story in Just After Sunset, not a series, but it is super, super creepy.

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 19 comments I love, love, love this story. I think it's due for a re-read.

Alondra | 366 comments Has anyone read the graphic novel?? I likey!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Just After Sunset (other topics)