genre X discussion

2011 > Infinite Winter Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
Some members of the group are participating in Infinite Winter, a season long reading of David Foster Wallace's modern classic Infinite Jest. Starting December 21st, people are encouraged to begin reading. Since the group will be meeting to chat before/after the March book discussion, that works out to about 75 pages a week. Desiree and Brad are leading the charge on this one, so go ahead and message them with any questions/suggestions/observations.

In the meantime bring your observations and comments to this thread.

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
Here's the link to the original Infinite Jest web project, Infinite Summer: http://infinitesummer.org/

message 3: by Elyse83 (new)

Elyse83 | 1 comments Can you send me some information about the book group for Infinite Jest? When and where will it be meeting? Thank you.
Leanne

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad | 6 comments This is a completely informal side project for the group, so there is no separate meeting scheduled. At the end of the March Genre X meeting, those of us that have attempted this monster project will break off and chat about it.

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mosbooks) | 11 comments I'm disclosing that I started it 3 days early, on December 18 so I'll make sure to have it done 3 days early! So far, so good...

message 6: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments It begins . . .

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad | 6 comments It's on like Donkey Kong!

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
There's a post on the blog about it now too: http://www.genre-x.com/?p=880

message 9: by Desiree (last edited Dec 23, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Desiree | 16 comments I've heard that there is no such thing as coincidence, so I though I would share something interesting. One of my co-workers has a "Book of the Day" calendar, and after she rips the slip off she gives it to me. I like to look at them to see if they are interesting. Anyway, the book for December 21st was "Consider the Lobster" by David Foster Wallace. I thought it was weird and worth sharing. Hope you all have a safe holiday!!

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mosbooks) | 11 comments Here's something-you can't really go by 12 pages a day, because the book isn't chronological. Today I read about 8 pages of endnotes, so I'm about 11 pages into them. I added them to my total main book pages. Don't know how this will work, but it makes me feel like I'm making more progress!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Mod
An interesting article in Slate about DF Wallace's career as a philosopher and its influence on his fiction:

http://www.slate.com/id/2278655/

message 12: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments Is anyone else trying to create a timeline? I am thinking too much. I need to just sit let the words wash over me. I just keep thinking that every little thing is important, and I will need to remember it later.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Mod
I was trying to keep a timeline but quit when I realized the long footnote about Hal's dad's filmography is a sort of timeline I could refer back to instead.

message 14: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments That's a good point Jennifer. However as I was reading that footnote I keep trying to figure out what Y.W.P. meant. I was flipping all over the book until I finally gave up. Then the very next end note cleared it up. I was angry and relieved.

message 15: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mosbooks) | 11 comments I am behind, argh, and wondering how to catch up. I'm trying to read more each night, but still feel behind. Anyone else in that boat? In terms of timelines and other helpful bits, students at Walter Payton College Prep (go kids!) put this pretty handy little wiki together.
http://paytonij.wikispaces.com/

message 16: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments Those kids did do a good job. I'm glad somebody put that together for me. I am behind as well, but I will get there. How is everyone else doing? As long as we end at the same time, everything will work out.

message 17: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mosbooks) | 11 comments I think I'm out. I am too far behind to catch up and not sure I can. School has been a lot busier than I thought. It'll be hard to read February's book, let alone this. I'll have to save it for another time. Boo.

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
I totally respect your decision either way, but you still have two months left. I'm going to try to catch up, and I bet I'm further behind than you are. :)

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mosbooks) | 11 comments Monica, thanks for the support, but seriously, I can barely get to bed when I want as it is much less set time aside to read each night. Egad! Nursing school is great, but it's gonna be a tough one.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments I had to take a 10-year hiatus from reading that much during medical school... residency... and fellowship. So, I feel your pain. I commend you for even trying to take on such a huge project. Hopefully you can still get through the shorter books. Good Luck.

message 21: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments How's everyone doing? This week I am trying to do a big push to get where I should be at this time if I followed the plan. I hope you are all hanging in there. I can't wait to hear some of your thought on this book.

message 22: by Brad (new)

Brad | 6 comments As a wise man once said, "You got to know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em." And with a week to go to the deadline, I think I can safely "fold 'em" on this project.

As I have said before, I would love to think I 'crashed and burned' on this project, but that would overexagerate my progress. I barely got started. My hat goes off to Jennifer and anyone else that will complete this tome by next week.

I still look forward to discussing it at the end of next week's Genre-X meeting.