For One More Day For One More Day discussion

Good book but somehow a too-fast-read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pinkbullets (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pinkbullets What happened to me when reading this book was very similar with what had happened some years ago, back then when I had been reading "Five People You Meet In Heaven". I started reading, couldn't stop (which means something!), to get back into the story was absolutely no problem at all after a break, finished it with tears in my eyes ... but (!) was the book able to leave an impression that would last for more than a week after having turned the last page???
- Honestly, I am not so sure.

Interestingly, the book I have read and finished before this one was "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. And while the Steinbeck book was certainly the tougher one of both, it was due to Steinbeck's detailed way of describing scenarios, giving the reader a feeling for each one of his characters step by step and sometimes, by going into such detail that it would give you the feeling that it was a bit rough to continue reading ... all-in-all, the Steinbeck book left a bigger impression and one that would last for much longer.

And that is exactly what I miss here, with Mitch Albom's work(s). Both books, the Five People... as well as this particular one, are well-written, no doubt of that, but so many times while reading I felt the urgent wish that Albom would take the time to get into much more detail.

While I like his basic ideas for the plot and the unconventional way by which he is making the reader develop feelings for his characters by adding things like e.g. List of Times My Mother Stood Up For Me, etc. in-between the chapters - I can't help but asking why Albom wouldn't want to write bigger, heavier books (?)

I get that he might want to write only about the most necessary things, not too many details, no slow parts that might turn off readers .. but especially while reading "For One More Day" I had the feeling that there were far too many emotional aspects crammed within these few pages. This also results from the chapters being so short.

With other books I often wish that the chapters were a bit shorter, the books not so immensely big and heavy - but here, it was the total opposite for me.

If Albom writes a huge book one day, I am sure I will go get it.

But as for now, to cut a long story short, I would recommend this book "For One More Day" to people who are going on an overseas-trip and are looking for something that would have them continue reading. It is a book that will certainly touch you, but for my personal taste, I would have wished for it to be longer.

message 2: by Bader (last edited Dec 20, 2007 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bader I agree with you. It is so clear that Mitch Albom can write more. for One more day, I felt like it is less emotional in terms of that it is a mother story however it is so emotional story. I felt like he should made it more and added more things that made us feeling that. For me, I think that getting impressed by what is written and emotioanl affected was more in adding more by my self (my imagination and how I felt that happened more in some of the sections ) more than it is what I read.
In other hand, I think it might be the Mitch Albom's way of getting people to his story. He migh mean to not write that longer to let us imagine more and trying to get our self to the view to feel it.
Thank you for the topic and your writing.
Regards
Bader

Princess May This book made me cry and scared! XD

Maan Penaflor This book made me realize that we should cherish everything that we have and never take them for granted. I cried a lot while reading this book. A real page-turner.

Princess May Maan wrote: "This book made me realize that we should cherish everything that we have and never take them for granted. I cried a lot while reading this book. A real page-turner."
yes Maan you're right :)

message 6: by Wan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan Farah erm, i do agree but in a good way. sometimes, less is more. one of the reason i love the book is because of its shortness. haha. but really, i think either short or long, if its a good book, then it is.

Michael nah... i think short is ok. making it longer makes the story on overkill IMO. The important thing is, he successfully connected me to the protagonist and his mother, and I think that's enough

Daisy Maan wrote: "This book made me realize that we should cherish everything that we have and never take them for granted. I cried a lot while reading this book. A real page-turner."

Princess May wrote: "This book made me cry and scared! XD"

That is exactly the premise of this book. The fact that we take everything and everyone, especially those we love, for granted and don't realize it until they're. The main character got a second chance to appreciate the person who was always there for him - his mother.