A Son of the Circus A Son of the Circus discussion

Is it just me..?

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen Peel (new) - added it

Jen Peel I am having a devil of a time latching on to this story. I have read and enjoyed a lot of India stories, and a lot of Irving stories, and I thought the combination would be a dream, but....

Lisa Strube-Kilgore Jen Peel wrote: "I am having a devil of a time latching on to this story. I have read and enjoyed a lot of India stories, and a lot of Irving stories, and I thought the combination would be a dream, but...."

TOTALLY not just you. I had a hard time getting into this one, too. If you gave it up, though, go back - I promise it's worth it! I finished it last night and kept thinking, "Oh my stars, I can't believe I almost tossed that one!" It's a real treasure one you've gotten there - Up with The Hotel New Hampshire, for sure!

(And I don't (didn't?) even have any particular affinity for India stories! ;-) )

Livnat Damari you must be Patient, it is a great book !! I can promise you that you will love it.
do not give up

Derek Gentry I do recall it taking some time to break into, but it ended up being one of my favorite Irving novels--hang in there!

Darwin8u I loved it. I think I've purchased 3 or 4 copies and given them away.

message 6: by Adri (last edited Jul 31, 2011 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adri I love all John Irving's books. Just stick with it.

Lynda I confess, it took me a long time to sink into this book but when I finally did I became completely immersed! I HAD to finish it asap. When I reached the end I was completely blown away by Irving's imagination and talent. It was several months before I read another book. It now resides in a place of worship on my book shelf!

Adri Lynda wrote: "I confess, it took me a long time to sink into this book but when I finally did I became completely immersed! I HAD to finish it asap. When I reached the end I was completely blown away by Irving..."

I so love it when someone else falls for John Irving's books! I reread all his books from time to time and I always find something new there, almost like when one reads Shakespeare. As you evolve, gain new insights and wisdoms, as you live life you get to experience Irvings books anew each time you read them.

Lynda A prayer for Owen meany was the book that hooked me onto Irving. I'd already read several of his books when Son of the Circus came out so I was a little disappointed it took me so long to get into it, but I persevered as I knew eventually Irving would tie all the characters together.

Peter Williamson keep at it. i have read that one twice. i am a big fan of indian literature and irving as well..this one is a bit trickier because there is a crime to solve. but its worth the read

message 11: by Jorge (new) - added it

Jorge Fecklesson This was my jump the shark moment with Irving. It had every beautiful element that was near perfectly resonating with my life at the time, but then I realized that's what it is, a collection of Irving elements brought together in an Irving way. It's as if Irving wrote an Irving novel.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jorge wrote: "This was my jump the shark moment with Irving. It had every beautiful element that was near perfectly resonating with my life at the time, but then I realized that's what it is, a collection of Irv..."

If you thought that about Son of a Circus, wait until you read Last Night in Twisted River (the title of which is definitely a joke about the story itself, as well as a setting). Last Night in Twisted River is a novel that was written by a older Irving about a younger Irving (one that was writing Garp).

I love Son of a Circus, which definitely started a trend in reading Indian fiction for me. Lovers of fiction set in India would do well to read Paul Scott's masterpiece, The Raj Quartet.

Michael J. Coene Irving novels tend to be that way, sometimes. You're following along, absorbing the plethora of tics his characters are granted, and at some point, you stop to wonder, "Where are we going, John?"

Just stick it out. All those tics come together, don't worry.

message 14: by Adri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adri Michael J. wrote: "Irving novels tend to be that way, sometimes. You're following along, absorbing the plethora of tics his characters are granted, and at some point, you stop to wonder, "Where are we going, John?"

..."

I agree Michael. But I also love those tics, so would not have his stories any differently.

message 15: by Buck (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buck Tanner I'm with the group. It took me a while to get into this book (I even gave up a few times) but it was worth it when I finished it.

Last Night in Twisted River sounds pretty interesting. I've got to check that out. Buck Tanner

message 16: by Jackduckworth (last edited Jun 22, 2012 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackduckworth This is a fabulous novel, I love books with an elderly hero. This was only my second Irving. I have read Owen Meaney and since then In One Person, both enjoyable. What should be my next, if S o t C is my favourite?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackduckworth wrote: " What shoul be my next, if S o t C is my favourite?"

The World According to Garp, followed closely by Last Night in Twisted River.

MoonWynd I wish I could say that I loved another book by Mr. Irving, but I can't. This book just wandered aimlessly with too many details about things that don't matter. I did learn some new things about India--which I really love--but, I am now flipping the pages in order to labour through it, but honestly: I doubt I will finish this book. I also found it to be too graphic (for the sake of what, I don't know; none of the gory details were necessary to move the story forward but only to indulge some weird too personal fascinations). It's been a disappointment no where near the likes of 'Garp' or 'Cider House'. That's just my opinion, of course.

message 19: by Jorge (new) - added it

Jorge Fecklesson I think there is a moratorium on the words 'plethora' and 'myriad'. If not, there should be.

Marsha Son of the Circus is one of my favorite Irving books---it took me 150 pages to get into it though. Well worth the read---I will never forget Dr. Darawella (sp)
The circular plot and characters are wonderful too.

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Love John Irving...but the first time I started to read this book, I had to put it down and walk away...just couldn't get into it. Went back quite a few years later and the wait was worth it. Very good book. Hope you gave it a chance!

message 22: by Linda (last edited Jun 05, 2013 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda I agree with all of the comments to date. I love John Irving and was around when he wrote Garp and Hotel New Hampshire and was the hot, new,good looking author at the time and caused quite a stir. I have read almost all his books. Stick with Son of Circus-I believe you too will come away satisfied. Hotel New Hampshire,Twisted River and Widow for One Year are also right up there in my opinion. As far as I am concerned, he never disappoints.

message 23: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Jackduckworth wrote: "This is a fabulous novel, I love books with an elderly hero. This was only my second Irving. I have read Owen Meaney and since then In One Person, both enjoyable. What should be my next, if S o t C..."

Elderly?? He's my age!! Dr. D turns out to be one of the more interesting protagonists I've encountered. The book was a slow starter for me too but an excellent read.

Patrick Loafman That one definitely has a slow start to it, and was not my favorite Irving book, though still enjoyable.

Penny I really enjoyed this from the get go, as with most of John Irving,s books it was quirky, funny yet with a more serious side to it. It is well worth keeping with it.

message 26: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Treganowan I just finished this book today and I really loved it. I get it when someone doesn't enjoy a book, though, and there could be a lot of different reasons. Could be that the book just isn't for you. Could be the wrong time and you should try to pick it up again in a few months. Could be that you just haven't gotten far enough. I say set it aside, take a break, and give it another shot. If you still don't like it then - eh - move on and read something you'll really love.

Sherry Leary I had to read this book for a sociology class (!) years ago, and it was interesting to break down. I think Irving can be subtle sometimes and it just takes a little patience to appreciate. This was and still is one of my all time favorites, Irving and overall, I still remember certain sentences! (could've been the homework) :)

message 28: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul The way this book ties all the loose threads together is fascinating. The Doctor seems to be so ordinary but is involved in many extraordinary things.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A Son of the Circus (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Buck Tanner (other topics)