Debate discussion

Politics > Wikileaks

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vїllaїп (last edited Dec 12, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Vїllaїп (lost_machina) | 59 comments Slightly harsh, Rene.

Though I don't think Julian should have released those documents the way he did, I think there are a few things he released the the people should have known about, and things the government had no business hiding, like the number of civilian casualties in Iraq. That was information was hidden only to make the U.S.A. look better, so that was definitely wrong. He shouldn't receive the death penalty for this particular stunt, but he should be stopped from releasing such a large quantity of documents again.

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments thank you for reminding me, once again, why I will never return.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments Enough already. Enough! Thank you,I'm not coming back. You don't need to drive it home.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 20 comments Wow, really?? Executed?? And here I thought access to information was essential to the function of democracy. You know the whole reason for having freedom of the press? I guess that was fine when only rich white people had printing presses. Ohh wait a tick..... Now I understand.....he didn't use a 'press'…… He used the internet!!!! Kill the fucker.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
It's not top secret defense plans and shit, it's just public embarrassment type stuff.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Is that your premise, that the government can withhold information from the public for the "public's own good?"

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Banana | 48 comments Hmmm... I don't think they have the right to keep the information from us, but the personal emails between them are exactly that: personal emails. Now if they had carried some government information that we all should know about, then of course. But a lot of the stuff was just that you know: Personal emails. So they said some stuff in those emails about what they thought of other world leaders. Who cares? They cant say it to their face, obviously, so they would have to do it another way. Anyway, I don't think it's okay to arrest him for leaking the information that the government should have told the world themselves. But did you know that he recently tried to rape a girl in Sweden? Yeah, then they arrested him. Of course it can be discussed if he really did try to rape her, or if it's just a set-up.

message 8: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments sexual coercion is the charge. In Sweden???!!! gimmie a break.
personal emails? no such thing for a public official. goes with the territory. If he's a closet raciest,or a sexual deviant (that could be blackmailed, or if he puts anchovy on his pizza, I want to know.
Tabloids do it all the time with famous Hollywood types; nobody complains. what's the diff?
And what about Michael Moore and his documentaries?
This is nothing but an attack on freedom of speech. first it was the Patriot Act, then hate speech. now this. what's next?
Put a top to it NOW. you really don't want to go down that road. Once a precedent is set in law,it's a bitch to get rid of. Opps, I just violated neg female gender profiling. If I'd a said 'bastard,would anyone bitch? :)

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Banana | 48 comments I take it you don't believe he tried to rape the girl?

And no, I actually don't think that being famous or having power makes it okay for people to violate your personal life. It's illegal most places to look trough someones mail, and here at least, it is also illegal to look trough someones emails. Again I say: The information that was in these mails should not have been kept a secret. But the personal emails are in fact that. Personal emails. I've had my email hacked once. It sucks beyond words, especially when the person who hacks you email lets you know that s/he knows different kinds of things. So having it leaked for the whole world to see, is a violation of their personal life.

message 10: by J. (last edited Dec 14, 2010 06:37AM) (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments "I take it you don't believe he tried to rape the girl?"
Do You? on what grounds? He hasn't even been charged? Only wanted for questioning for 'coercion', not rape. I haven't even seen the word 'rape' mentioned other than here. This is how these things get blown out of proportion. questioning for coercion, all of a sudden becomes charged with rape, and repeated enough times to become fact. I find those who participate in such unsubstantiated rumor mongering to be guilty of a much bigger crime than reading pvt email. Mo?
So, you had a bad experience and can't get over it. I respect that. We all have baggage of some sort. But, it also tells me your opinion is bias, and no longer objective. If Julian is ever put on trial in the states, and some how you are called for jury duty,I will be sure to alert his defense attorney for voir dire. :):)
If,however, you and Rene somehow get past voir dire, I say skip the trial, hang the SOB, and get it over with. lol :)

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Banana | 48 comments No, not really. I'm pretty sure he's being framed because governments find him dangerous and want him out of the picture. Of course, he could also just be a jerk who thinks he's untouchable after all this.

And no, my opinion is not biased, personal experience or not. It is never right hack another persons email, and this goes for big shots too. How can it be part of the job-description to have you email hacked and your own personal thoughts leaked out all over the internet? And I am not saying that governments should keep information from their country, but they are entitled to some personal life, including their private emails.

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 33 comments Hi guys, and ladies,
just thought I'd add my ten penneth for what it is worth. As regards the 'charges' against him? Who knows, the timing was certainly convenient, jealousy, greed or genuine, at worst it seems as though he got his 'wicked way' with a couple of Swedish ladies, there has been no suggestion he actually raped them.
As for the leaks, okay, someone should have checked them out first, maybe. Even the junior soldier who 'stole' the files in the first place should have known better! If any one should get well and truely 'waterboarded' it should be the dipsticks who put things like that on a net work as insecure as this one was.
How stupid are these people? There is an on going case where the U.S.A. is trying to extradite an autistic guy from here [U.K.] for hacking into pentagon computers looking for U.F.O.files! I just wish our political leaders would grow some nuts, tell the feds, or who ever, to b.....r off and the Swedes to show one of our judges the evidence against Assange. If the Swedish cops want to question him, then they could do it here, it would be a damned sight cheaper than sending a small army of bewigged fools pretending to be legal eagles!
Yet more symptoms of an ever crazier world!
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 13: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments Yo Geezer, your proposals are always the same problem. too easy!

message 14: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 33 comments Hi J
you're right, 'clever' people making something easy complicated merely to justify their own pathetic existance!at 'our' expense.
This road looks awfully familiar!
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 15: by Lauren (new)

"I'm pretty sure he's being framed because governments find him dangerous and want him out of the picture. Of course, he could also just be a jerk who thinks he's untouchable after all this."

Anyone reminded of V for Vendetta?