Chicks On Lit discussion

For all you bloggers out there

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thought some of you might find this article interesting. Do you agree that female bloggers are taken less seriously than men?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/fas...

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Jul 28, 2008 05:56AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I agree that females are taken less seriously than men in pretty much every situation that exists.

And it sucks big time.

message 3: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 28, 2008 07:17AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I have the article, I just haven't read it yet. (I usually go through my weekend Times on the weekend to pull out what I want to read and then read the articles at breakfast throughout the week).

I have a feeling though that it's looked upon as more of a hobby for women to blog (even those who use blogs for their businessess) as compared to men who blog, even though surveys (through googling) seem to indicate that there are more women bloggers than men! I have noticed that books based on blogs have come more from male authors and businessmen than women.

Instead of this being always the way, what are we going to do to change it?!

message 4: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 28, 2008 10:14AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I read the article and while I think it brings up a great topic, I wasn't too crazy about the article itself even though it was written by a woman.

Perhaps women bloggers tend to write about more personal things than some men bloggers?

I've just registered with BlogHer!

Tera, thank you for putting up that list of all of our blogs! That's one (big) way to get the word out & start changing things!

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I read the article (thank you for posting it). The article actually ticked me off. How do you complain about women not being taken seriously in the blogging world when you (the author) begins the article by connecting women bloggers with only being moms? Yes I am sure a vast majority of women bloggers are moms writing about being a mom and thats wonderful and great but it's not all we blog about. On the other side of that coin it comes off as men only blog about politics, the economy and social concerns. I admit I mostly read women bloggers but of the few men I do know that blog one of them blogs about being a dad (the other blogs about being single).
The article starts by mentioning how women over run the bathroom and their conference has a lactation and nursery center. Then throws in the teary eyes?! of women at the news Michelle Obama posted on a blog. (Good gravy no wonder women aren't taken seriously if we weep when a presidential canidates wife posts on a blog!)
I think if the author wanted to validate those concerns of not being taken seriously she should have taken the bloggers seriously herself. Perhaps if women weren't reduced to lactating weepy bloggers that get free things from corporations to give away they would LOOK more legit. Let's celebrate the great mom blogs, the great single woman blogs, the great married womans blog, the great older generation woman and their blogs and not suggest that because we have boobs and eyes that both leak that we can not be taken seriously, that our issues aren't worthy of attention. (although if I knew a woman that cried because Mrs Obama posted on a blog I'd punch her in the nose) Women may not tip the scales talking about economics or who should be the vp or the outlook for the city planning commision but that doesn't make their words are less important.
I wish the author had linked blogs of women about women issues and blogs that cover more general issues.
Can we send them a link to Elizabeth's blog that does a BEAUTIFUL job of tackling an incredible social issue and connects the political and economic impact in a way that is smart witty and thoughtful. I'm still a little pissed off Elizabeth hasn't been asked to be on The Daily Show. Have you seen some of the humdrum boring men coming on to shlop their comma inducing books. (another tangent)

message 6: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 28, 2008 12:04PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) "How do you complain about women not being taken seriously in the blogging world when you (the author) begins the article by connecting women bloggers with only being moms?"

Thank you Tera!!! That whole angle totally turned me off, but I didn't want to offend Mom's on here (and those who blog), so I didn't say so. (Ya know, the I don't have children so what do I know thing tends to be the response to me when I do say things about a topic like this, even though I am a Mom, it's just that my daughter's in Heaven...)

"Then throws in the teary eyes?! of women at the news Michelle Obama posted on a blog. (Good gravy no wonder women aren't taken seriously if we weep when a presidential canidates wife posts on a blog!)"

Thank you again Tera! Yeah, that gives women bloggers the Best image, doesn't it?! (NOT!) And they wonder WHY they aren't taken seriously?!?!

"Perhaps if women weren't reduced to lactating weepy bloggers that get free things from corporations to give away they would LOOK more legit. Let's celebrate the great mom blogs, the great single woman blogs, the great married womans blog, the great older generation woman and their blogs and not suggest that because we have boobs and eyes that both leak that we can not be taken seriously, that our issues aren't worthy of attention."

Again, thank you Tera! I could not have said it better!!! (Apparently!) Have I told you lately that you're awesome?!

I did register w/BlogHer though and listed my blog (though I put its' old title down instead of its' current one, so DUH on my part! I'll have to fix that! And I listed under the category of "Life blogs" since I don't write about one specific thing).