Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Combining Books for Shakespeare [and others]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mounir (new)

Mounir | 26 comments I have a problem with combining books or editions for authors who have a huge number of editions, e.g. Shakespeare. Actually I am now in the process of adding Arabic editions of Shakespeare's works. But whenever I try to combine the arabic edition it becomes almost impossible for 2 reasons: first the page "freezes" and it becomes very difficult to scroll down. But the more problematic is that when I finally manage to find the other book I am looking for, it happens to be almost always in a different page from the arabic edition which I have just added. Arabic editions usually come at the very end of the list, and so they are often on a different page from their English counterparts, which makes it impossible for me to combine them.
Can anybody help ?

message 2: by Renske (new)

Renske | 11450 comments If books are on different pages you can change the title, combine and change the title again.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 159 comments There is also a "filter works by title" row of letters and a "filter by keyword" box under that. Those help narrow down selections when they are on multiple pages.

message 4: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (rakuna) | 61 comments Chris wrote: "There is also a "filter works by title" row of letters and a "filter by keyword" box under that. Those help narrow down selections when they are on multiple pages."

I'm actually having the same problem as Mounir but with Finnish editions of Enid Blyton. I have to say narrowing down with keywords doesn't always work with editions in different language, because (at least in Finland) the translated title can be completely different from the original. How ever this probably works with Shakespeare and such, because the titles are rather universal.

Chancing the title is a great tip! Thanks Renske.