Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > combining with incorrect edition: ugh!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/edition...

So, some member added a hardcover edition identical to the one that already existed in the database so I combined it with the 2 existing editions (see above) and I thought that the hardcover edition had more ratings than the audio edition (but it was the to be deleted hardcover edition that had the most ratings and the audio had the second most, alas!) so those ratings/to-reads/currently readings that were on the non-ISBN hardcover edition went (ack sorry!) to the audio. (Because I did not separate out the 2 hardcover editions and then combine them before deleting and then combine the remaining one again.)

It's a new book and not that many people have it yet.

I first put a note in the description field but it was so long one had to scroll down to see the book description so I took it off.

Has any other librarian made this error? Any suggestions on what to do now?

My tendency right now is to let people find it for themselves and change editions, but I could add back a note or message all those I can reach who might be affected.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jul 26, 2008 11:38PM) (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
My tendency right now is to let people find it for themselves and change editions

That would be my suggestion.

These things happen, even when we're careful.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Tsk tsk! If this keep up we may have to revoke your Top Librarian Status :-)

Unfortunately it happens. Librarians are only human, or so rumor has it...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Apparently the rumors are true. :-(

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
I figure, even with the mistakes I've made -- and will continue to make, being only human -- I have added more to GR by being a librarian than I have harmed. I dare say a lot more.

And I know the same is true of you. :)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Rivka, Thank you, and I do know that is true; I wouldn't do it otherwise. What fun would it be then?! We, and all the librarians, have done a lot. When I think of all those uncombined editions that prevented all of us from being able to much use that compare books with other members feature. That alone! Not to mention all the other tasks librarians do to improve Goodreads.